• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia Season 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I thought the latest episode was a cautious uptick for a season that has felt like it's losing its way. We absolutely need a run of episodes now with no big fight scenes and, if I'm honest, a bit less screentime for the villains. Hell, let's see a bit of UA again.

For me, MHA works where many shonen series fail because it actually cares about its world-building and its secondary characters. Season 6 kicked a lot of that away in its first half and I do hope we get a bit of time with class 1-a outside of battle now. Possibly even check in with Deku's mother?
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Some of the reactions to the first half of season 6 make me concerned for season 7. If people thought the action was already too non-stop...

That said, I think the second half of season 6 should please a lot of people, especially people who aren't big Deku fans...
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:
For me, MHA works where many shonen series fail because it actually cares about its world-building and its secondary characters.

It really doesn't, though, and it's a problem that's only gotten worse. It's the Deku/Bakugo/Shoto show; everyone else gets thrown a bone here and there, but it's honestly just too many characters to balance.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I have always considered that Horikoshi shoot himself in the foot for making A-1 20 students, too many to balance.

Its simply imposible to make everybody happy when you account the other 20 B-1 kids plus at least 20 Pro-Heroes.

We are talking about balancing about 60 characters, too many.

I mean, Iruma-kun has 13 characters into the Misfit class and that series still has problems balancing.

It's not a train wreak like Bleach or Naruto final arcs though, for that I am thankful.

That's something I miss from the 80s, when Kurumada had problems balancing the 12 Gold Saints plus the 5 Bronce ones, he simply killed 10 of the Gold Saints. He also didn't have to deal with all the Silver Saints nor the Marina Generals because he killed them too.

We can't have that nowadays, Twitter/Reddit would implode.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:00 am Reply with quote
Regarding the reviewer's bafflement, I am gonna quote myself:

Quote:
This episode is a good example of me not understanding people who don't get HeroAca's themes.

The only way the series could be more blunt would be if it hit you in the head with a baseball bat with the plot written on it

Endeavor himself says he does't want forgiveness but atonement.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:42 am Reply with quote
Baby Shoto really didn't give a damn. He was just living his best life Laughing

I agree that the Todoroki family drama is the most compelling plotline in MHA. I like how every member had a very different but human reaction to the whole situation, and how they all blame themselves for what happened with Toya.

Also, I know we all agree that Endeavor was a terrible father, but can we also agree that he had terrible fashion sense? I mean, what was up with that flame tie? You're a whole grown ass man! No wonder Rei looked so depressed during the marriage interview. Imagine having to marry a guy who dresses like that unironically.

Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I have always considered that Horikoshi shoot himself in the foot for making A-1 20 students, too many to balance.

Its simply imposible to make everybody happy when you account the other 20 B-1 kids plus at least 20 Pro-Heroes.

I see this criticism pop up a lot and I honestly don't get it. The story never made it seem like all of Deku's classmates were main characters. It always focused on the 5 or so important ones, and the rest of the side characters were always just that, side characters whose job is to make the world feel bigger and more colourful, and who get one or two moments to shine throughout the story.

The criticism I do understand is that Iida has fallen into irrelevancy, but I personally don't mind since I always thought he was annoying Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:04 pm Reply with quote
All this digging into the Todoroki family's past now makes me curious about Endeavor's childhood. What were his parents like? Where did his obsession with All Might come from and why did he become so fixated on beating him that using his own children felt like an acceptable means to that very particular end?

That's the part that's weird to me - it's not just a rivalry between the two men, but a burning (sorry) need to oust All Might from his position, even if it's not by his own hands, even if it doesn't mean he would take his place. At what point did he accept that he personally couldn't best All Might, but rather than giving up on that goal, he decides that making kids who could win for him by proxy would suffice? That All Might no longer being No. 1 was the most important thing in the world?

I know some parents choose to bask in the reflected glory of their kids' achievements, or push their children to live out the dreams their parent(s) couldn't realize themselves, but usually it's a more general sense of "that's my boy," rather than how one-to-one personal Endeavor's jealousy of All Might was. So that doesn't quite explain this situation to me.

Doncha love how Endeavor's misogyny just osmosed directly into Toya's little brain? :/
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:07 pm Reply with quote
The show treats the situation appropriately and with finesse.

Quote:
there's a somewhat baffling debate in the MHA fandom about whether or not this story partially absolves Endeavor for what happened with Toya

No more baffling that the debate that Bubaigawara or Himiko Toga or any of the villains are partially absolved because of being born that way, or how society treated them, or whatever. Himiko Toga fans are a thousand times more creepy than people who feel like Endeavor can be partially understood or absolved.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't feel that Endeavor has been absolved of meaningful responsibility, but I do think the texture being added to his backstory now paints him in a less nightmarish role than I'd expected. I thought he'd been a terror to his family, and especially to Rei/Toya/Shoto, from day one, but the backstory doesn't lead off with him being so obsessed that he treats everyone as things in pursuit of his goal from the very beginning (outside of the quirk marriage itself, that is). It seems like it took their failure with and apparently somewhat unintended breaking of Toya for Endeavor to really transform fully into a monster, and I'm not quite sure how to process that.

Gina wrote:
All this digging into the Todoroki family's past now makes me curious about Endeavor's childhood. What were his parents like? Where did his obsession with All Might come from and why did he become so fixated on beating him that using his own children felt like an acceptable means to that very particular end?

I'm not sure his fixation on All Might must've come from his parents. There's a kind of addictive quality to trying to become the best at something deep, challenging, and socially competitive; maybe he's always been surrounded by people he easily surpassed, gradually made that a core part of his self-identity, and then found it ran smack into a solid wall when he met All Might.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:

I see this criticism pop up a lot and I honestly don't get it. The story never made it seem like all of Deku's classmates were main characters. It always focused on the 5 or so important ones, and the rest of the side characters were always just that, side characters whose job is to make the world feel bigger and more colourful, and who get one or two moments to shine throughout the story.

The criticism I do understand is that Iida has fallen into irrelevancy, but I personally don't mind since I always thought he was annoying Laughing

Oh, in my case it's not a critic per se, more of an observation, I just feel the series would be more manejable.

People wouldn't whine so much at least.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Best Jeanist in a suit is the funniest thing I've seen all week. I couldn't stop laughing, despite the somber context. Laughing Best Suitist ftw!

Was there or will there be an explanation why those two were facing the wall in time-out, or who they were? I might've missed it in the infodump.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:19 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Best Jeanist in a suit is the funniest thing I've seen all week. I couldn't stop laughing, despite the somber context. Laughing Best Suitist ftw!

Was there or will there be an explanation why those two were facing the wall in time-out, or who they were? I might've missed it in the infodump.

You need to infer that those are the second and the third and that they are somehow unhappy with the situation.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:33 am Reply with quote
Weird, goofy way to show they're unhappy, if that's the idea. Makes them seem like petulant children---we don't wanna talk to the current bearer, so we'll stand against this wall and stare at it?

I thought it had something to do with which bearers AFO had directly tried to steal OFA from in the past, but guess not.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:53 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
You need to infer that those are the second and the third and that they are somehow unhappy with the situation.

How was I supposed to infer that? I only know AFO's li'l bro (1), Shigaraki's gram (7), All Might (8) and the whip guy (?). Now we know Danger Dude was 4th? So without number tags, as far as I can keep track they could be 2, 3, 5 or 6. And is anyone there happy with the situation?
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:53 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

How was I supposed to infer that? And is anyone there happy with the situation? oO

I understood it as they being unhappy specially with Deku being the 9th, either because they consider him too naïve or unfit all together.

And yes, I found it kinda silly too, but, this is a projection of Deku's mind and characters refusing to face you on these projections is something I have seen in Anime/Video Games before so... its just a trope.

As a side note, there is a theory that says the reason is because the second is time traveler Bakugo/his ancestor and this is just an excuse to hide his face.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9