• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4 Washington Middle Schoolers Disciplined over "Death Note"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
Do any of you guys accusing the schools know how that would affect anime? Not in a great way.

Yeah, ensuring a safe and educational schooling for our children isn't nearly as important as keeping our anime hobby under the radar of the domestic media.

Whoa dax, who said I wasn't supporting the schools? In the best interest of the schools they are doing what they think is best, which is ensuring the safety of the all of those who are there during school hours. Granted, they could take some lighter measures, but I'm sure they're going to be looking into it.
Steroid

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:09 am Reply with quote
DKW wrote:
Maybe I should explain the thought processes of the administration and police when they see something like this.

1. Someone makes a List of people they dislike or possibly hate
Now here is where they begin making assumptions using the Moral Standard of Utilitarianism (Most Benefit for the Most People, Protecting the Most People)

Well, there's your problem, right there! That standard and the free speech ideal are at loggerheads; it has to be one or the other. Utilitarianism is pragmatic; free speech is idealistic.

Well, I'm sure you all know or can guess which one I believe in, but set that aside for the moment. What's intriguing me is the frequency of these incidents and what that says about the attitudes of the youth involved.

As near as I can tell, this is the fourth such incident since last November, and all of them happened in different parts of the country. I can only guess that in today's world the kids with their Facebooks and MySpaces and SMS Messages (and their hula hoops!) don't see any real difference between chewing the fat with their friends and writing things down. Indeed, my guess is that they'd rather write things down since it leaves a record. If this group simply sat down at lunch and started discussing who the world would be better off without, they'd have lots of laughs and no one would really pay attention. But since they actually spent the time and money to put it on paper, it's assumed that they must be serious about it.

And as a parting shot, you can say that this has nothing to do with anime per se, but I wonder if they would have gotten in quite so much trouble if they cited Koko's "little list" from The Mikado instead of a show on Adult Swim. (Hm, the Japanese have been doing death notes for centuries! Anime smile)
Flipnofunk

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:00 am Reply with quote
"two sixth-grade students were arrested in April for a notebook that allegedly listed their school staff and fellow students in a manner similar to the Death Note anime series."

This point caught my attention, this is because if they did it in a similar manner they would have put where they would die, how they would die, and when they would die.
skyesage

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote
Good God, these kids are stupid.

The reason why people are so sensitive to this is obvious--school shootings over the last ten years and schools get a lot of flack for not 'noticing the warning signs'.

While they missed the points and were stupid, they still have to be punished. They have to be sensitive to this.
hotah

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:13 am Reply with quote
It is like these kids are being treated as possible threats.

Why would I joke myself and write random names on a Death Note Confused Is their life this boring? Or are they victims? You know, it is like when they say "write what you want to say or do on a piece of paper and throw it in the trash bin to forget it". But, this case is different. They made a list and kept it. And, it was a list of people wished to die.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
hotah wrote:
Why would I joke myself and write random names on a Death Note Confused Is their life this boring? Or are they victims?

I would probably lean more towards the case of these kids being the victims of bullying, which is pretty common in any place. The problem presented when that happens is that these kids don't talk, and nobody is able to notice that these kids want to talk to somebody.
Hegemonic

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they would think it "uncool" to talk about such things with someone or even useless. Mind you that's not what I believe, but high school kids are like that sometimes.
Mystouille

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Bah, Evil or Very Mad
Seriously guyz, if one cannot even express his anger in a notebook, then this is the end for us all!
I mean, it's true that making it Death Note like is n00b-lame-faggot-emo-etc, but shit what about our liberty?
Arrow How come they could think it's dangerous??? I'm sure everyone sometimes want to kill someone, even just for a few seconds...
Arrow Moreover, how can they tell it was the kids exact thoughts? I mean, maybe most of it is fiction and just for the lulz >_>

But I also agree with this.. how d'you call it? Utilitarism. Yeah, i'm not blind, I know we can't always ignore this kind of things.

But pushing it too far is in some ways more dangerous than not paying attention to potentialy dangerous people.
By increasing security, you decrease liberty and eventualy modify human rights.

Erf..
This event was just one upon thousands, please see my post as a reaction to the whole thing.

What I wanted to express in this post is my disarray regarding the general fear of Mankind nowadays. Anyone fears everyone, and every sides of what makes us Human are progressly seen as evil or criminal.
Hegemonic

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, even though I'm a student of philosophy, I'm pretty bashful when it comes to Jon Stewart Mill and Immanuel Kant, the latter being awful to decipher, with all due respect to the Kantians and Neo-Kantians. I'll get it some day, be patient with me, oh you scholars! ^^...But on to what I wanted to talk about.

"Utilitarianism" is a code of ethics a form of "credo", or rather than use that word, I'll say it's a set of beliefs -- these particularly being pragmatic, which is to say practical. Jeremy Bentham and James Stewart Mill wrote books about it. Basically it says that to whatever action on your part, you should take into consideration it's consecuences.

If Immanuel Kant is the extreme end of "idealism", then both Mr. Bentham and Mr. Mill would be in the other extreme, because they are "practical".

(note to self: re-read Mill and decipher Kant >.<)
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:52 am Reply with quote
Gingy wrote:
Quote:
"Under state criminal codes, which vary by state, it is an offense to knowingly utter or convey a threat to cause death or bodily harm to any person. "

While beating one another up, strangling each other, etc...is not a crime?

Aren't you the person who recently regaled us with the wisdom that:
Quote:
criminals, ALL criminals of all sorts DO deserve to die
and
Quote:
if the amount of bad guys you get rid of greatly outnumbers the amount of innocent lives that are lost, it should be justifiable.

I would have thought that you wouldn't care what their crime was. They should just be thrilled that you didn't catch them.
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
What's intriguing me is the frequency of these incidents and what that says about the attitudes of the youth involved.

Honestly, writing down a list of people you want to die is relatively common amongst kids of a certain age, and has been for decades. It's often considered simply to be a semi-serious, semi-joking vent for their frustration about being unable to do anything. And in the vast, vast majority of cases, that's all it ever is. The occasions where they actually go out and do something about it are statistically insignificant.

Rather than being a particular judgement of kids today, it's more of an indicator of how highly-strung a society is that it makes such a big fuss about it.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Since you didn’t reply I’ll modify your statement and see if I’m on to anything...

Keonyn wrote:
If you look at past school massacres, nearly every instance consists of some kind of gun. Honestly, the school would be irresponsible if they didn't act against the bullying, considering the cowboy culture we live in and the striking similarities between what was found here, and what was found after the fact in school shootings. Instead of being angry at the school, you should be upset at a society that has refused to evolve beyond to the point that bullying is considered routine and unavoidable.

There, now that makes a little more sense IMO.

Nice try, but no, and don't alter my text in quotes, thanks.

A gun is a tool, that still requires a human to use that tool. Someone has to pull the trigger, which means the desire to kill someone still has to be there. This persons desire is presented here in a fashion that should, frankly, give people the right to worry, especially if those people aren't familiar with Death Note enough to know this for what it was. But if you want to play that game, you can't bring a gun to school anymore than you can bring a notebook with contents that could be perceived as a death threat to school. So fine, for the sake of this we'll say guns are always bad, fine, but they're not legal on school grounds either.

As for the severity of the response, that's a different matter entirely. The school took the wrong action to solve the problem, but the fact that they were justified in taking action if you ask me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
dormcat wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
I'm sure the school is well aware that a notebook doesn't kill people. But if you look at past school massacres, nearly every instance consists of some kind of threat on paper or online, a list, a plan or something to indicate the desire to do what they ended up doing.

If you look at past school massacres, nearly every instance was committed by young males, so we should lock all young males up before they commit any crime.

Oops, sorry, that's a bit overboard.

How about "if you look at past school massacres, nearly every instance had guns involved. Let's dissolve NRA and have a gun control." In fact I'm sure that many people, including relatives of victims of past massacres for sure, would support this with both arms raised, but their voices are just too insignificant compared with arms companies and their lobbyists.

Or maybe a bullet control would be more viable.
That should be easier now that Charlten Heston is gone to the great rifle range in the sky, and Ronald Rayguns is basically a human shaped vegetable. It seems that USA now stands for United States of Anxiety.

Dude, I know you'll be sad to hear this, but Ronald Reagan is dead. He died on June 5, 2004. I know that because that's my graduation day, and my birthday.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:
Steroid wrote:
What's intriguing me is the frequency of these incidents and what that says about the attitudes of the youth involved.

Honestly, writing down a list of people you want to die is relatively common amongst kids of a certain age, and has been for decades. It's often considered simply to be a semi-serious, semi-joking vent for their frustration about being unable to do anything. And in the vast, vast majority of cases, that's all it ever is. The occasions where they actually go out and do something about it are statistically insignificant.

Which begs the obvious question: What the HELL does this have to do with anime, and why are we seeing it on this site?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Which begs the obvious question: What the HELL does this have to do with anime, and why are we seeing it on this site?

People getting in to trouble for parodying anime is related to anime, like it or not. Whether it's just an interesting news tidbit or that it may lead to possible trouble down the road for anime as a whole, or so on, it's anime related. Yeah, we're getting to the point the discussion is starting to have less and less to do with the anime aspect, and should that go too far, yeah, it'll be locked.

Otherwise, it's anime related and that's the bottom line. You don't have to read the article if this bit of news doesn't matter to you or interest you. If this really upsets you this much then feel free to take it up with the staff, there's no need to clutter the discussion thread up otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8