• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TV Tokyo to Stream Naruto via Crunchyroll Worldwide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Anyway, I really don't get some of the naysayers here. On the one hand, there's the claim that fansubs are for testing the anime to see if you like it enough to want it in your collection.

yep. and it sure is odd that every video game, movie, or tv show trailer is posted on their producers' sites with high quality. why don't they just stick with 480i. oh, you see the point now?

many of us are willing to pay for high quality. but to pay for lower than free quality is not easy.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
loka wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

Anyway, I really don't get some of the naysayers here. On the one hand, there's the claim that fansubs are for testing the anime to see if you like it enough to want it in your collection.

yep. and it sure is odd that every video game, movie, or tv show trailer is posted on their producers' sites with high quality. why don't they just stick with 480i. oh, you see the point now?

many of us are willing to pay for high quality. but to pay for lower than free quality is not easy.

The thing is, you don't have to pay anything. Wait a week and it's still free.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

The thing is, you don't have to pay anything. Wait a week and it's still free.

"BUT A WEEK IS LIKE FRIGGIN FOREVER, I WANT IT NOOOWWZ! WHY SHOULD I WAIT?"

...why not?
Vortextk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote
It's true that while crunchy roll may be the "new" napster, I just don't like the community of CR. If I downloaded a song off napster, I knew what I was doing(legally), and I didn't have to read stupid messages from some fake persona trying to hide the true aim of their program under smilies and internet speak.

I hope the site does go legit and ultimately works as an outlet for low cost subcription HQ streams with free streams as well(low quality, coming out later, whatever they choose). It'd be nice to know anime won't fizzle out(and even better if this starts helping american licensors, I like dubs).
souleater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:35 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Worldwide streaming promptly after airing: very good
Crunchyroll video quality: very, very bad (even the paid-for downloads are quite frankly awful).

Crunchyroll video quality is bad? I've always felt that it's significantly better than Youtube (well, just about anything is), and Veoh has never really been that great. H264 on Crunchyroll is actually really quite good (for streaming video) in my opinion. For the price, I don't think there's much better.

As for the downloads, I've only bought a couple things from the site, and it's always been near DVD-quality and resolution, IMO. Again, for the price, I don't think you can get much better.
GaryPotter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:12 am Reply with quote
Lol at all the butthurt dubbies cheering that this will destroy fansubs forever.

Bull. This is a very small step in the right direction, but there's no way fansubs will go away just because Crunchyroll is now "legit."
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:23 am Reply with quote
GaryPotter wrote:
Lol at all the butthurt dubbies cheering that this will destroy fansubs forever.

Bull. This is a very small step in the right direction, but there's no way fansubs will go away just because Crunchyroll is now "legit."

Who's "butthurt" over this, and who's under the delusion that it'll automagically condemn all fansubs to the netherworld? I haven't seen either sentiment expressed in here. This is a great step forward, but it's going to take a lot more than this to make fansubs (almost) completely irrelevant.
darkninjawill
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote
All I want to know is with all this restructuring of video streaming sites, where does a person like me, a fan of older anime fit in?

The one thing I hate the most is hearing about a really cool anime
from the early 90's, 80's or the late 70's which has never been subbed(or partially subbed, with the sub group getting about 7 or 8 episodes in then mysteriously disappearing ) and never had a Region 1 release because its not " New and Shiny".

I could care less about the quality as long as I get to see some of
these old shows subbed.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I hear alot of talk about Video quality? I think we should keep this specific to Naruto Shippuudden. Only one group does English translations for Shippuuden: Dattebayo.

Dattebayo has never had high quality video. Have any of you guys watched their releases on a HDTV or a large computer monitor? It looks like crap. Its actually worse than what streaming other animes (Shikabane Hime) from Hulu looks like.

If they at least offer Hulu quality streams for people willing to support the show (ie pay for the early release... which any self-proclaimed "hardcore Naruto fan" should be), there won't be any real difference. For other shows that have HD fansubs, streaming would look way worse than the fansub, but this isn't about other shows. Its an article specifically about Naruto Shippuuden.

But as I said, the group the does Naruto has never released a high video quality version of the show despite their being upscaled raws that look significantly better on a HDTV or computer monitor with a resolution of 1280x720 or higher than their SD releases. In fact, they laugh and take pride about their poor video quality.

So to me, video quality is a moot point for this particular topic.
Shadowlord

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I think DB has released at least a 1080p version of the 3rd Naruto Movie...
Avacado Burger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda surprised that not that many people are mentioning the 'hour after broadcast' situation. This is HUGE! Wasn't one of the #1 complaints about licensing anime is the forever-and-a-half it takes to subtitle and release them, and this just completely throws it out the window?

Personally, I lost interest in Naruto a long time ago, and I wouldn't pay for a stream, but this is a step in the right direction. The problem I can see right now is that under this system, only the popular shows would get this treatment, and good shows that are not as watched will fall under the table.
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Shadowlord wrote:
Actually, I think DB has released at least a 1080p version of the 3rd Naruto Movie...

That'd be pretty impressive considering it's only been released on DVD.
Shadowlord

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
Shadowlord wrote:

I've done a little research. YES, a subbed 1080p version of the 3rd Naruto Movie DOES exist. Don't know whether the source was blu-ray or HDTV though...
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I think the really interesting question is, what will the other TV tokyo shows be?

On their website, there's a picture-coded weekly schedule for the current anime:

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/animetable/

I'm hoping for at least one late-night otaku anime. Sure, they have Soul Eater and Bleach and Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's and Shugo Chara, but also Toradora and Hyakko. Plus Zettai Karen Children, which is like both a kids shounen show and an otaku appeal show at the same time. (I guess Hayate is sort of the same thing...and ZKC has references too, remember the episode with the Strike Witches cameos? )

I have no idea, however, what there Winter season shows will be but that's a guideline. And of course the normal ones, the Soul eaters and Yu-Gi-Oh's, will still be running for Winter.
Edit/Delete Message
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
Shadowlord wrote:

Dattebayo released it in 1920x1024 resolution over a year ago, which was probably an upscale since only the regular DVD version were available then
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8