• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Fullmetal Alchemist TV Anime to Premiere in April

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote
midnightshinigami wrote:
Maybe you can't tell if it's poorly animated from a promo. But, I just compared a shot of the new to Ed to the original series. It looks like a really well done fanart. There's just something about it that's driving me crazy about it, and is making me feel that way.

EDIT: I think I just figured out what it was. The original series was drawn out by hand, and colored in on computer ( that's what they showed on the making of on the movie dvd). This new series looks like it's all computer done. I could be wrong though.

I won't even get into how poorly drawn Roy looks.

I haven't seen the teaser, but the drawing quality looks the same to me. The only difference I see is that one looks like the person maybe used divx or some crappy codec or tried to push too much content into too small a bit rate.

The whole thing is blurry and the colors seem off while the other shot is clearly a proper screen grab from a quality source.
MrVince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:48 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
MrVince wrote:
It is my belief the manga is close to completion (I'm currently at chapter 89) as this arc has the "last battle" scent getting stronger. If the series is based on the manga, it would have to cover at least a hundred and some chapters before catching up. Also keep in mind these chapters are from a monthly magazine, meaning more content.

I really think people are overstating this, I mean you going to tell me that the FMA manga is as wordy as Too Long Didn't Read the Anime? I mean A Certain Magical Index, this has the 2nd light novel compressed into 3 episodes, the 3rd one is looking at 3-4 episodes. The funny thing is they skipped quite a bit of dialogue and it's still got the nickname of "Too Long Didn't Read the Anime".

Stuff gets compressed all the time, like Good Witch of the West is 8 novels compressed into 12 episodes, quicker pacing might actually improve the show too btw...

I don't think we're in disagreement on this. I think more content is great! Hopefully that'll mean a lot of story-packed fun!
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:53 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Definitely agree that the first series was excellent (my all time favorite) and it seems pointless to have this new one.

I have a hunch that you like Greed... IIRC he's used much better in the manga compared to the anime...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:00 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
Definitely agree that the first series was excellent (my all time favorite) and it seems pointless to have this new one.

I have a hunch that you like Greed... IIRC he's used much better in the manga compared to the anime...

Ugh, I hated what they did with Greed in the manga, spoiler[bringing him back to posess that worthless character Ling. Then he becomes equally worthless, save for in the few recent chapters. Much maligning of a once great character.] He actually served a purpose in the anime version.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:03 am Reply with quote
Yes. Yes. YES. YES!!! Very Happy

It looks like the manga. it smells like the manga!
Cant wait till December 12 (if they will finally confirm it's a true manga adaptiation, this time around).

And this comes from one who gave the "masterpiece" to the previous animated series, here on ANN (I didn't like the movie much, though). Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Zrana wrote:
One of the reason Arakawa didn't originally want the anime to follow the story faithfully to the manga is because she KNEW they anime would quickly blast past where she was, and most people don't want to read what they have already watched. It looses it's POW factor when plot twists and such occur. (And yes, different media can tell stories in different ways.)

But now it's the other way around. Many people enjoy and even look forward to see static images in motion with sound and color and all that fun stuff, even if they already know exactly how the story will go.

It's no slam against the first series--that's how I fell in love with FMA myself! It's just a triumph to how successful the series STILL is after being ended on tv for several years.

I still liked the first anime of Hellsing, and Ultimate didn't change that for me, so why should this destroy what FMA was to me for so long?

^Well you've got a point Anime smile, I just don't want them to rewrite the greatness of the first animated series... I'd really like to see a season 2 instead of a new thing. Either way, I'm game for some new FMA Wink, can't wait for Funimation to get this.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I can't understand what some people are worried about: any narrative works mostly is about plot and characters, and the manga version of FMA has both a better and more expanded versions of them.

So, a true to the manga new anime series only can be a good thing... after all Bone is doing it, they can't do a bad job!

The only thing they'll struggle to surpass will be the openings and endings, imho, which were really, really fabulous.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm content with the manga, so I'll be passing on this. Might rent it when FUNimation eventually licenses it, though.

penguintruth wrote:
Ugh, I hated what they did with Greed in the manga, spoiler[bringing him back to posess that worthless character Ling. Then he becomes equally worthless, save for in the few recent chapters. Much maligning of a once great character.]

spoiler["Worthless"? Uh, what? How in the world is Ling "worthless"?]

Seraphim_Alchemist wrote:
I just don't want them to rewrite the greatness of the first animated series... I'd really like to see a season 2 instead of a new thing.

Don't know why people want a continuation of the first anime adaption. There's not anything left to be said. (Frankly I wish Bones would've ended it with the series. Movie soured my opinion of the overall story.)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

Does nothing, accomplishes nothing, adds nothing. He's a less interesting Edward.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
We're seriously reading different series.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
I'm content with the manga, so I'll be passing on this. Might rent it when FUNimation eventually licenses it, though.

penguintruth wrote:
Ugh, I hated what they did with Greed in the manga, spoiler[bringing him back to posess that worthless character Ling. Then he becomes equally worthless, save for in the few recent chapters. Much maligning of a once great character.]

Seraphim_Alchemist wrote:
I just don't want them to rewrite the greatness of the first animated series... I'd really like to see a season 2 instead of a new thing.

Don't know why people want a continuation of the first anime adaption. There's not anything left to be said. (Frankly I wish Bones would've ended it with the series. Movie soured my opinion of the overall story.)

You could easily do a series where the Nazis used Automail technology from Amestris to create an army of Nazi Cyborgs, and try to take over the world and its up to the Elric brothers, Fritz Lang, and Osamu Tezuka to stop them. You can call it "Fullmetal Hitler".
Dune

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:56 am Reply with quote
And then a dying Superman takes on the evil twin clones of Hitler. Shocked

Looking forward to the new FMA. After thinking it over a bit, I would prefer that they not reuse any of the music from the previous show, if only to differentiate and let the former show stand by its own merits.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:05 am Reply with quote
Dune wrote:

After thinking it over a bit, I would prefer that they not reuse any of the music from the previous show, if only to differentiate and let the former show stand by its own merits.

Oh man, that's something I never thought of. We'd have a whole Fullmetal Alchemist anime with nary a hint of Bratja. It's almost surreal o.o

I really hope they don't change the voice cast, though - everyone was so perfect the first time around, and most of them have such huge fan followings as their characters. Plus I need some new material from my dear Satou Yuuko - her facing off against Ohkawa Toru would be EPIC.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote
Dune wrote:

OMG, I so want a copy of that! I'll bet it's impossible to get.

On topic... not having read the manga, but hearing what people have to say, I'm more inclined to at least be neutral on a complete reboot for FMA. The anime is just such win... and I really think I want to see something different, more, but I'll keep an open mind. The movie was fine as closure to the series, and the LE DVD is a must-have just for the commentary and interviews with Rie Kugimiya and Romi Paku doing a yuri bit with each other Smile Disappointed with only a dragon Envy, though.

But if they don't reboot, I don't want them staying in our world. It would be way too funky trying to transport or tie-in all my fav characters. Needs more Envy, no matter what.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Dune wrote:
[...]Looking forward to the new FMA. After thinking it over a bit, I would prefer that they not reuse any of the music from the previous show, if only to differentiate and let the former show stand by its own merits.

You brought up an interesting point: I really wonder what will they do about the new soundtrack(s), now.

P.S. Only more few hours and we'll finally know more details!!! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8