• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Clever/Intelligent Character Tourney Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
Excel file will be up a bit later, due to maintenance/updates on the hosting site I've been using.

Template:

Group D-29
Light Yagami, Death Note vs.
Washu Hakubi, Tenchi Muyo franchise
Voting For:
Reason:
Possibility of Change:

Group D-30
Maximillien Robespierre, Le Chevalier d'Eon vs.
Aramaki Daisuke, Ghost in the Shell franchise
Voting For:
Reason:
Possibility of Change:
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
That was Washu being smart? Frankly, I am not just disappointed but also confused; put me in the "Why is she still here?" camp. I mean, the intelligence/cleverness she displayed in her video was incredibly low, and certainly not of the standard expected in Round 4. I wouldn't vote for her on the back of that performance if this was only Round 1.

So, just why IS she still here?

And why should I vote for her?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:29 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
That was Washu being smart? Frankly, I am not just disappointed but also confused; put me in the "Why is she still here?" camp. I mean, the intelligence/cleverness she displayed in her video was incredibly low, and certainly not of the standard expected in Round 4. I wouldn't vote for her on the back of that performance if this was only Round 1.

So, just why IS she still here?

And why should I vote for her?

Washu created Ryo-ohki a ship capable of evolving different forms, and is as powerful as a Juraian first generation ship but can be mass produced (though their are only one other like it). She also created Ryoko.

I also edited my vote to get it the same as the template.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:10 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Washu created Ryo-ohki a ship capable of evolving different forms, and is as powerful as a Juraian first generation ship but can be mass produced (though their are only one other like it). She also created Ryoko.

So, in other words, she is great at creating things. Well, we have already knocked out plenty of inventors and scientists, most of whom did not have access to the level of technology you would expect a 20,000 year-old person to have. So, just because she built better stuff than the others does not necessarily mean that she is intrinsically smarter than they are. So on what other grounds does she deserve to have my vote?

As for you voting for Aramaki solely on the basis of not having seen the other series: you do realise that with the clips, the guide, YouTube, and people's arguments, there is not much room to vote against a person just because you haven't seen their series? And I ask this question not as a disgruntled Maximillien fan (though I do believe he's smarter than most people give him credit for), but as a person who is currently leaning towards Aramaki.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:09 am Reply with quote
Group D-29
Light Yagami, Death Note [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Washu Hakubi, Tenchi Muyo! franchise [ Video Clip* ]

Light for the easy win here. I have seen some of the Tenchi universe, although not all, and I couldn't figure out why Washu had such support before. I like demonstrated cleverness over "here I did this while you all weren't looking, so I must know what I am doing" sort of intelligence.

Group D-30
Maximilien Robespierre, Le Chevalier d'Eon [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Aramaki Daisuke, Ghost in the Shell franchise [ Video Clip ]

I can't see not voting for Aramaki here. I have only seen the clips from Chevalier, and while I do want to see this show, what I have heard so far doesn't sway me from voting against Robespierre.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:12 am Reply with quote
Group D-29
Voting For: Light Yagami
Reason: I still think Keaton would be a more worthy candidate, but between these two, it's Light for sure. I remember Washu's last clip completely destroyed my previous perception of her (as Tenchi Muyo was one of the first anime I ever saw, back on Toonami's midnight run), as I used to think she was filled to the brim with brains more than anyone other anime character ever (when my view list was still small), but now I just see her as an above the cast easily techno geek.
Possibility of Change: none

Group D-30
Voting For: Aramaki
Reason: never seen either series, but 1) support for Aramaki last round and 2) Robespierre was historically someone who died at the hands of his own people. Because they hated him. Now excuse me whilst I enjoy my banana.
Possibility of Change: medium, but past arguments leads me to Aramaki.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:39 am Reply with quote
Group D-29
Voting For: Washu
Reason: because she has created the most powerful thing and the most powerful being in the universe. And she's the nicest Mad Scientest that you could possibly ever meet.
Possibility of Change: NONE!

Group D-30
Voting For: Aramaki
Reason: I don't care one way or the other
Possibility of Change: possible
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote
Group D-29
Voting for: Light Yagami, Death Note

Reasons: When the Washu fans are still voting for Light, than it seems pretty clear who I should vote for.

Group D-30
Voting for: Aramaki Daisuke, Ghost in the Shell franchise

Reasons: Very easy decision, since no one seemed overly impressed with any of the people in that three-way tie in round 3.
Sophisticat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
D-29 : Light

D-30 : Aramaki
Olliff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
Group D-29
vs.

Voting for: Light

Reason: Light has the clear edge over Washu. I am also in the minority that believes Light deserves to make it this far in the tournament. While admittedly over the top at times, it is clear from the clips that his grand manipulations are the reason why he is still here. Next round should be very interesting for Light, especially since Aramaki seems to have had more support historically.

Change of Change: None

Group D-30
vs.

Voting for: Aramaki

Reason:

Honestly, neither clip impressed me. Both men are clearly smart. Robespierre is good with words and possesses an unshakable will. On the other hand, the Chief appears to have good leadership skills and a few other things up his sleeve. I have not seen either series and from what I have seen in these clips has left me disappointed. Based on the clips alone, I believe that neither man has demonstrated the amount of intelligence needed to pass on to the next round.

Since neither clip impressed me considerably more than the other, I have decided to support the character with more historical support.

guet wrote:
Unlike several characters who have survived this long, the chief has no real weakness. He is the master when it comes to leadership, politics, tactics, and even when it seems like he is trapped, he always turns it to his advantage. He is one of the strongest in the entire tournament in my opinion.

I certainly do not see this. Like Johan, I suspect that his intelligence may be so intertwined in the plot that it may be difficult to provide clips that clearly show his intelligence without ruining the entire plot.

Looking at this last clip alone, I do see several weaknesses in the Chief's intelligence albeit minor ones. Firstly, the Chief failed to understand what was meant when the Prime Minister stated that a large sacrifice on our part cannot be avoided. The Chief then asks if the sacrifice hinted by the Prime Minister was the sacrifice of Section 9. The Prime Minster answers him with a resounding no.
It also appears that the Chief is unsuccessful with persuading the Prime Minister.

Lastly, the areas of intelligence that the Chief seems to be best at are tactical, leadership, and political intelligence as stated above by Guet. While I have no doubts that these types of intelligence are valid types of intelligence, I believe that much stronger demonstrated forms of intelligence exist, such as cleverness with words or the ability to persuade or manipulate. Other characters that have shared many of these types of intelligence, such as Makoto have already been eliminated. Additionally, Key has also stated that multiple intelligence theory cannot be used to measure intelligence in this tournament. Therefore, no arguments supporting the Chief's social intelligence or any other type of unorthodox type of intelligence can be used.

While I believe that the Chief will win this match soundly, I believe that he has been considerably overestimated thus far. It will be interesting to see how he fares next round.

Chance of Change: High

Last edited by Olliff on Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:31 am; edited 2 times in total
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
* - Notice: This clip does contain some nudity.

I heartily approve! What's a discussion of intelligence without some boobage for balance?

This round is going to be very easy for me to decide:

Guide: Group D Guide

Group D-29
vs.

No problem with deciding this one: Washu is clearly superior to Light's melodramatic antics. My God, if he had a moustache, he'd be twirling it.

Group D-30
vs.

Open and shut decision: Aramaki Daisuke is several classes above the competition.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Results are up now. Olliff and Marie remain tied at the top of the pack and extend their lead over the next best scorers from 8 point to 9. Key slips back to sixth place behind Velocet, Jesu (who are tied) and Rainbowcourage.

This coming round won't affect much in the results, as nearly everyone picked Light and Aramaki as winners. Only four people didn't choose both of them as moving on in this round, so don't expect any changes in the minigame standings next week. So, thanks for making this ease on me for one week, at least.

Group D-29
Voting For: Light
Reason: As far as I can tell, Washu doesn't display the same level of attention to detail or level of manipulativeness as Light.
Possibility of Change: Slim

Group D-30
Voting For: Max
Reason: I know he's probably not the better candidate here, but I want to give credit to a villain who spoiler[succeeds in his goal, despite the kind of power and resources he goes up against with limited assistance. Also his own death does not prevent the achievement of this goal.]
Possibility of Change: Slim
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Figured Lupin losing was gonna eliminate me. Guess next tourney I should learn not to give into my fanboy side for the later rounds. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ccdx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
All brackets and mini-game scores have been updated at: http://home.comcast.net/~unirizer2/

Sorry for the delay. I was gone these past couple days.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:59 am Reply with quote
^ Goodness, look at that last column! Shocked This is a tight race... Anime dazed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 66 of 90