• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best First Episode Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:09 am Reply with quote
Match B-9: Paranoia Agent
Tough match, here. A battle between the simple and adorable coming-together of Daikichi and Rin against Satoshi Kon's mind-baffling and only TV series run. I'll admit that I truly care for both of these shows for differing reasons. But being a huge sap for Kon's cinematic and mind-baffling style, I have to give Paranoia Agent the edge here as the opening episode offers up a solid amount of suspense in introducing the mysterious character of Lil Slugger/ Shounen Bat and hints to possible paranoia with Tsukiko from the building pressure coming from the popularity of her doll.

Match B-10: Fullmetal Alchemist
I'm probably in the minority, but I didn't find myself getting latched onto Gankutsuou's first episode as it took me a few episodes before I could get latched onto the show. The highlight of Gankutsuou for me was its slow build-up of revealing elements of the Count's character, his relationship with Albert and how the Count's later motives and actions complicate said relationship. The first episode, for me, is just the first piece of this build-up which, while good, is nothing compared to the bigger story in which the series goes on to tell with the complexity of the Count's character. Not to mention while I did like the show's photo realistic-like backgrounds, the way in which the character designs were animated with the decorative pattern moving about with their hair and clothing was more glaring than attractive to me.

My thoughts of FMA's first episode are not much different from my argument in the previous round. It offers up a solid start introducing you to Ed and Al's characters and revealing some elements of their past that are eventually revealed in later episodes. The episode also offers up some aspects to its mature storytelling style with exploring the ideological differences between Ed and Rosa regarding the subject of Cornello's influence in the latter's town.

Match B-11: Hanasaku Iroha
Excel Saga offers up some effectively nutty comedy in its opening episode with Excel's several deaths and her attempted murder of the title's real-life creator. But against the better quality presentation and engaging predicaments that Ohana is tossed into within Hanasaku Iroha's first episode, it is quite outclassed here.

Match B-12: Elfen Lied
The easiest match for me to deliberate over in this bracket. Samurai Champloo's opening episode is mostly used to set up its stylish presentation and doesn't offer much else to engage me otherwise. Elfen Lied, on the other hand, got by for me with both its shocking opening scene with Lucy's gory institution escape and the hints dropped about her possible connection to Kouta and his mental trauma. But this will very likely be the last round that I support Elfen Lied considering its inevitable competition next round.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote
Group B-9
Bunny Drop
vs.
Paranoia Agent

Bunny Drop's first episode is very nice. It's a good slice-of-life, but Paranoia Agent shows more intriguing promise.

Group B-10
Fullmetal Alchemist
vs.
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

Both first episodes are good, but the first episode of The Count of Monte Cristo has made deeper impression on me with its unusual style.

Group B-11
Excel Saga
vs.
Hanasaku Iroha

Excel Saga's humour is fantastic. I still remember its craziness, so it gets my vote.

Group B-12
Samurai Champloo
vs.
Elfen Lied

My complete disdain for Elfen Lied's unashamedly pandering first episode makes any other series win by default in my mind, so my vote obviously goes to Samurai Champloo.

I didn't vote last week, because I don't watch anime any more and I haven't watched any anime since the latest series Natsume's Book of Friends has finished, so I only sometimes check this forum. But I will probably stick around for a while, since I found these tournaments to be entertaining.

My interest in anime was on the wane for a long time, but I still have to make sure whether it is a complete burnout or whether I just need a longer break.

Last edited by Aylinn on Tue May 29, 2012 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Key,

the links in B11 & B12 just go to you web home page.

Eeep! Corrected.

And Aylinn: Sorry to hear that. I have just recently ceased playing, for pretty much the same reasons, two Facebook games that I had been devoting a lot of time to since last summer, so I can kinda sympathize.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Minigame results.

So, wow, 2-A really did a number on a lot of people. Three people lost their finalist pick (2 for FLCL, 1 for Code Geass), and several others had those two advancing a couple rounds further than they did. The bottom half of bracket A only had 6 correct guesses out of a potential 36.

Ggultra and Tris hold on to their first place tie (60), but A Mystery is only 1 point behind them. There's a larger gap after third place, then TNB, Key, mow, and nightjuan are bunched around 52/51 points.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Minigame results.

So, wow, 2-A really did a number on a lot of people. Three people lost their finalist pick (2 for FLCL, 1 for Code Geass), and several others had those two advancing a couple rounds further than they did. The bottom half of bracket A only had 6 correct guesses out of a potential 36.

Yeah, I should have realized this would dominated by shows most have not seen vs what has been viewed over and over again, with certain nostalgia exceptions. A trick element to predict.
to me so far (these are my opinions):

First round: Azumanga Daioh beating monster. Have to chalk this up to nostalgia, but going into this blind, no way. Early reviews on this site had Love Hina rated better than Azumanga Daioh. Retconing feelings is the only way to explain.

In Round 1 group B part 1:
Paranoia agent beats Hellsing. Handily. I could take FMA beating Hayate, but this outcome left me realizing that most did not revisit these episodes.

Round 1 Group c:
Bleach, possibly the best introduciton to shounen action is beaten by Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei. Which of these two will stand the test of time...
The money will tell.

Round 2 group A.
Time of Eve beats FLCL. FLCL is not a cheap license. No company has seen fit to bite on Time of Eve (yet). Money is not stupid in most cases.

So one of the best episodes of a Gainax OVA is defeated by something no company has deemed profitable? (if it is that freaking good, then why has it not been released )

No way.

After the initial round which got me to watch 64 different anime, this tourney is tough to garner enthusiasm in later rounds. Maybe once some of these oddities have been weeded out.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:27 am Reply with quote
Shocked Third place? I can't believe it... Well, that will probably not last long, considering this round might crush my scores. Might score some points in group C and D.

@ Gewürtztraminer: Money is one of the indicators that say a show must have something going for it, but it isn't a very strong one (considering DBZ and Pokémon weren't nominated, for example). And we're only discussing first episodes, some series might be better overall, but lose here.

Last edited by A Mystery on Wed May 30, 2012 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
Using the fixed links....

Group B-9
Bunny Drop
vs.
Paranoia Agent

Voting for: Paranoia Agent

I wouldn’t be upset if Bunny Drop won, it’s a great first episode, but Paranoia Agent is so ambitious in its first episode I have to give it the edge. So much of it seems like it doesn’t matter, why does it spend so much time on people chattering amongst themselves? But it screams cinematic craft and atmosphere to me. There is a reason they spend time on gossip and introducing characters like the little old man from the beginning credits, you know it. And talking about the credits, I have to praise them again, for a first episode the beginning credits are important, and if this were a contest of the best opening and closing credits- this should win.

Group B-10
Fullmetal Alchemist
vs.

Voting for: Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

I wish I had done the minigame this time, I picked most of the winners last round, but this is the only matched where I voted against both of the winners. Neither of these are bad shows or bad first episodes, but they don’t excite me and I’ll vote against either next round. Still, if I like ambition and taking chances, like I said above, I have to go with The Count this time. A artful approach that works better than it should, interesting setting- strange take on a classic tale. I like it more than FMA’s solidly built episode.

Group B-11
Excel Saga
vs.
Hanasaku Iroha

Voting for: Excel Saga

I prefer comedies and as Key noted “Excel Saga has possibly the single best first episode ever for an anime comedy series.” It breaks rules, it revels in anarchy, and while it doesn’t look as nice as the wonderful Hanasaku Iroha, why should it? For a madcap comedy it actually looks fantastic, with more detail and attention to shot composition than one could expect. Just think of the scene of Ilpalazo shooting Excel, seen from below and behind with Excel falling towards the shot, that’s just another aspect of the creativity shown in this episode.

Group B-12
Samurai Champloo
vs.
Elfen Lied

Voting for: Samurai Champloo

I could go with either here, but I like the way Champloo gives me a new reason to like a Samurai/Swordsman tale slightly more than the ultraviolence of Elfin Lied.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Group B-9
Bunny Drop
vs.
Paranoia Agent
Bunny Drop is a good first episode, but it didn't wow me. It's cute, and I appreciated how the children actually acted like kids, and how the stark difference between Rin and the other girl was shown. But this is a series that I grew to love over time. Paranoia Agent is very aptly named. The first episode is trippy, but avoids the feeling of pointless confusion that many deeply psychological shows leave me with, and the mystery is accentuated by Kon's personal style.

Group B-10
Fullmetal Alchemist
vs.
Fullmetal Alchemist, no doubt. I was drawn into this show after only 5 minutes, when I saw Ed and Al's antics in the desert. You could really tell they're brothers. So much goes on in this episode, yet it doesn't feel stuffed or rushed. We get introduced to a world with alchemy, and they immediately make it clear that this is not just pure magic with a science label slapped onto it(as most alchemy in fantasy is). They actually mention different elements and introduce laws. We know from half way through the episode that there is more going on in this town than first meets the eye, and that we will be in for a treat of mystery and intrigue with two smart and competent leads. I can't praise Ed and Al's characters enough. But even with all the seriousness going on, this first episode has a great feel of adventure, and some good comedy that all balances each other perfectly. And the hook at the end, when we see Al is only a suit of armor, and Ed has 2 metal limbs is captivating.

Group B-11
Excel Saga
vs.
Hanasaku Iroha
This is a hard choice. They're just so dang different! Both episodes blew me away when I first saw them. I am going with Hanasaku Iroha, but I may change it if I get a chance to rewatch these this weekend. When Ohana told her grandmother to slap her too, I was seriously surprised but extremely excited to see that we had a 'do-my-best!' main character who actually put her money where her mouth is.

Group B-12
Samurai Champloo
vs.
Elfen Lied[/quote]
I'm going to have to go with Samurai Champloo here. Champloo's first episode isn't amazing, but it is very catchy and dripping with style. Elfen Lied's huge shock factor at the beginning had me Shocked , but as it shocked me, it also repelled me and made me want to turn it off. Rivers of blood just aren't my cup of tea and that opening episode promised much more to come. Besides that, Champloo has some truly excellent fights between Mugen and Jin and the thugs they fight. Whoever planned the choreography in that series should get a medal or something.
Saffire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Group B-9
Bunny Drop
vs.
Paranoia Agent

Vote for: Bunny Drop

I'm still not thrilled about either as a standalone episode, but Paranoia Agent's main draw is the promise of more to come. Bunny Drop gets right to it and starts charming you immediately.

Group B-10
Fullmetal Alchemist
vs.

Vote for: Full Metal Alchemist

Tricky, mostly because Gankutsuou is so visually stunning. But I think I have to side with FMA's cleverness here. Brilliant writing and sharp dialogue will win me over any day.

Group B-11
Excel Saga
vs.
Hanasaku Iroha

Vote for: Excel Saga

Very difficult. I raved a lot about my discovery of Hanasaku Iroha when it came up. Excel Saga is a bit lacking visually in comparison, but makes up for it in originality. This episode sets the bar for madcap comedy, and there aren't many shows that have reached it since.

Group B-12
Samurai Champloo
vs.
Elfen Lied

Vote for: Samurai Champloo

I like Elfen Lied, but for this tournament I just can't get past the weak second half. Samurai Champloo continues to radiate style throughout while drawing together a colorful cast.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:45 am Reply with quote
Group B-9
Bunny Drop
vs.
Paranoia Agent

I like Bunny Drop's main characters which are not commonly seen in anime these days. The story and setting is pretty interesting in itself with Daikichi steeping to take care of Rin. It is interesting to see a grown man take care of his spoiler[child-age aunt].

My vote goes to: Bunny Drop.

Group B-10
Fullmetal Alchemist
vs.

This episode starts it off right with its main theme, alchemy. It can do wonders but is not a great miracle. There are some things that are meant to be left alone. But the brothers' love drove to commit a great taboo. Their damaged bodies are the result of those who tamper with the laws of nature.

This, however, starts off the series on a great opening. The brothers' journey of redemption and recover will be a long and arduous one.

My vote goes to: Fullmetal Alchemist.

Group B-11
Excel Saga
vs.
Hanasaku Iroha

One of the most interesting series would, of course, have a most interesting first episode. This sounds like one crazy series but it does get your attention that way.

My vote goes to: Excel Saga.

Group B-12
Samurai Champloo
vs.
Elfen Lied

Katanas and hip hop is quite a combination. This works out great as it gives Samurai Champloo action with style. Mugen (modern hip hop) and Jin (feudal Japan) also perfectly portray the anachronisms in the series.

My vote goes to: Samurai Champloo.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:13 am Reply with quote
Group B-9

I just finished watching it for the first time and it was amazing. While it does pain me to vote against Bunny Drop, I just feel like this episode has so much more going on in it that it really deserves to move on more. It definitely gives off the feeling that every little detail is important, even if you don't know why yet, and makes me want to watch more right now. Which I might do, for that matter.

Group B-10

Not just because I nominated it, though that does help a bit. But I feel that story-wise Gankutsuou and FMA do pretty much the same thing as far as setting up main characters and the world at large. However, Gankutsuou wins by getting the main plot moving more than I believe the FMA one does, as well as having the striking visuals, which is just enough to give it the edge here.

Group B-11
Voting for: Excel Saga

Hanasaku Iroha is another series where I don't quite understand the fervour around it. It's by no means a bad series but I don't think it's even remotely in the same class as Excel Saga, which along with Trigun has the first episode I have watched the most and enjoyed every time.

Group B-12

I haven't seen either of these and don't feel great inspiration to do so to be honest, though if they advance much further I will probably do so (though I don't think either of them sounds strong enough to take out the B-11 winner). I initially felt that I was going to vote the other way but the recent arguments have swayed me over to Champloo's side.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
I have so been wanting to vote in this tournament, but I have been so busy. I at least want to get a vote in one of these rounds.

Group B-9
Bunny Drop
vs.
Paranoia Agent

Usagi Drop has a solid first episode full of warmth and introducing Rin's predicament. However, for me it was not significantly different enough from any other single parent raising a child story. Did it make me want to continue watching? Sure, but not with great anticipation. In contrast Paranoia Agent not only looks and sounds stronger imho, but left me full of questions. Who is that old man? Is it all in her head? Is there a mixing of reality and fantasy? All of these questions and more that left me eagerly anticipating the next episode.

Group B-10
Fullmetal Alchemist
vs.

FMA has some nice designs, a strong first scene, and the bond between the brothers stands out. The first episode also serves to reveal some of the brothers motivations and personalities. However, the first episode also feels odd as I the viewer felt like I had been dropped in the middle of the series not the beginning. The story of the first episode doesn't stand out and the initial antagonist feels run of the mill. So some good elements but nothing that says impressive first episode. Gankutsuou on the other hand, is visually striking something which I thought showed some risk taking. The dialogue and characters give us hints of who they are and where the series will probably be heading. The Count in the Japanese language version is especially charming (in the dub he sounds more sinister) and we begin to see how his aura and plots ensnare others. The ending music is also very good. I had a stronger desire to continue watching Gankutsuou than FMA.

Group B-11
Excel Saga
vs.
Hanasaku Iroha

Wacky comedy versus slice of life. Excel Saga makes me smile, especially the OP. It would have been interesting to match its anarchy against FLCL. Does it make me want to continue watching? A little bit. Meanwhile, Hanasaku Iroha made me concerned about Ohana, the main character. A mother that abandons her daughter, an indifferent and harsh grandmother? It made me want to continue watching just to see how she would cope with these challenges.

Voting for: Hanasaku Iroha

Group B-12
Samurai Champloo
vs.
Elfen Lied

Does a graphically violent and disturbing opening scenes make a great episode? For Elfen Lied I would say no. It can make for an interesting episode and I did want to understand the reasoning for such violence. Was it just shock for shock's sake? It was enough to make me give the series a try. Champloo's first episode oozes with not just style, but substance too. We see the different styles and personalities of the characters. We also see how Jin and Mugen are also going to be rivals on their journey. Fuu is just well Fuu! The action scenes are good again showing the differences in the men's styles. It feels fun, solid and complete. In this respect the brute force of Elfen Lied's opening scenes comes across as crude in comparison to the polished first episode of Samurai Champloo.

A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
After this, I'm gonna search what's giving this weird smell that I'm constantly a bit aware of. I'm afraid it's the trashbin.

Group B-9
Bunny Drop
vs.
Paranoia Agent
Voting for: Bunny Drop
Maybe an anime first: a 30 year old bachelor taking in his grandpa's child. This first episode is touching and realistic. I already voted against Paranoia Agent last time, I believe. The mystery aspect and story is quite good, but I didn't like the characters and I didn't find the first episode that exciting.

(By the way, Bunny Drop isn't only viewable for American residents. I don't know how many countries can watch it, but I can (I'm Dutch))

Group B-10
Fullmetal Alchemist
vs.
Voting for: Fullmetal Alchemist
Both are good first episodes, with a dark undercurrent. I didn't like Albert's naivety in Gankutsuou. The Count interested me of course, but unfortunately he doesn't seem to be the main character. The visuals are quite awesome, but take some getting used to (can make you a bit dizzy). The first episode of FMA is approachable and exciting.

Group B-11
Excel Saga
vs.
Hanasaku Iroha
While I don't like the grandma that much and that the first episode doesn't really show you the real feel of the show, it's a very engaging first episode. It has a strong main character, some drama, other interesting personalities and it's just gorgeous.
Excel Saga is quite funny, but it's hyperactivity can be exhausting sometimes Wink.

Group B-12
Samurai Champloo
vs.
Elfen Lied
Both can be quite graphic and have some awesome music - the haunting Lilium of Elfen Lied and the cool hiphop music of Samurai Champloo both define their series. Samurai Champloo has style, three cool different main characters that you don't expect to travel together - but they will. One of Elfen Lied's strengths is in the stark contrast of shock value and cuteness, nudity, fanservice. Yet it's also its weakness. It can be hard to take such a story seriously.

Okay, the smell is starting to gross me out. Really, is there something bad cultivating here...
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Group B-9
Bunny Drop
vs.
Paranoia Agent
Thoughts: I'm going in favor of Bunny Drop here, as the connection between Daisuke and Rin provides the kind of investment a viewer needs to really care about the series, while Paranoia Agent goes with confusion and intrigue that relies more on the audience's curiosity.
Voting for: Bunny Drop

Group B-10
Fullmetal Alchemist
vs.
Thoughts: Gankutsuou, as always, has the visual edge, and there's enough going on in the plot that provides a reason to pay attention, as well as quickly establishing the setting without needing loads of exposition, but I prefer FMA here, on account of a more solid introduction of the protagonists' personality and philosophy/motivation.
Voting for: Fullmetal Alchemist

Group B-11
Excel Saga
vs.
Hanasaku Iroha
Thoughts: As I mentioned last round, I didn't really find Excel's zaniness that funny, and since that's pretty much all the show is about, that's a major detractor. In Hanasaku Iroha, we get a leading lady who has to put up with crap at every turn, and has the force of personality to not be beaten down by it. Plus, ya know, it's a really pretty episode.

Group B-12
Samurai Champloo
vs.
Elfen Lied
Thoughts: Elfen Lied opens in the most sensational(istic) way possible, and it certainly deserves credit for that, and belongs here, but its second half gets kind of stupid. Girl has mentality of toddler and pees herself on hallway floor. Classy stuff, there. Samurai Champloo might be stupidly vulgar, but it's not a sudden genre shift from gruesome violence to silly mundane harem. Besides which, the music and action scenes are magnificent, and the anachronistic additions to the setting are both unique and effective.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Group B-9
Bunny Drop
vs.
Paranoia Agent

As I stated before, Bunny Drop conveys so much of the character's emotions through body language, glances, actions. It really is put together. Paranoia Agent is ok, but in my opinion, is getting a big boost from the series as a whole.

Vote: Bunny Drop.

Group B-10
Fullmetal Alchemist
vs.

The Count of Monte Cristo style and story I felt are better at grabbing your attention. I never liked how FMA started. Strangely, I think FMA ends up better, as the story of Gankutsuou does hit a few rough patches later.

Vote: Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

Group B-11
Excel Saga
vs.
Hanasaku Iroha

I wonder if the mood you are when revisiting these hurts some titles.
I like Excel Saga a lot, but making it through that 1st episode again from the 1st time was tough.
I am warming up to the characters in Hanasaku Iroha more on the repeat viewing.

I really could go either way, but I will vote for:
Hanasaku Iroha.

Group B-12
Samurai Champloo
vs.
Elfen Lied

My gripe with Elfen Lied is the jarring tone shift at the midpoint.
Samurai Champloo is a full episode of greatness as opposed to 12 minutes of greatness followed by not so good junk.

This is the best first episode tournament, not the best first half of the first episode, so
Vote: Samurai Champloo
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 43