• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: YouTube Wins French Copyright Case Against Broadcaster

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kohii

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
The French...
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
The French...

The common sense...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Kohii wrote:
The French...

The common sense...

They surrendered that.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Good luck appealing the ruling, but I don't see how they could prove any loss as a result of YouTube. It's like saying that if I posted a copy of some famous artists artwork on the bulletin board at my local city hall that the city is then liable for the artists loss. If the artist called and informed them it would be taken down without a doubt, and YouTube would do the same if TF1 made a similar request. The person posting the content would be liable, but unless YouTube intentionally pirated the material and posted it themselves, then they aren't liable for someone elses abuse of their service.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Technology to stop ip violations lags decades behind technology to enable it. I wonder if that's natural or because tech to stop it means companies like Google would have fewer sites and content to make ad money off of?
IKKIsama

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"le visionnage de vidéos accessibles sur le site de la société YouTube ne dure que quelques minutes, ce qui interdit de pouvoir voir un épisode de série ou d'émissions périodiques en une seule fois comme le propose un DVD ou une offre de VOD" (vidéo à la demande)"

TF1 argued Youtube had entire episodes uploaded before they were on french TV. The court said Youtube vids only last a few minutes anyway which is false as you can watch movies that last up to 2 hours there.

Kohii wrote:
The French...

Unlike the USA we're not a sue-happy nation.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
IKKIsama wrote:
Quote:
"le visionnage de vidéos accessibles sur le site de la société YouTube ne dure que quelques minutes, ce qui interdit de pouvoir voir un épisode de série ou d'émissions périodiques en une seule fois comme le propose un DVD ou une offre de VOD" (vidéo à la demande)"

TF1 argued Youtube had entire episodes uploaded before they were on french TV. The court said Youtube vids only last a few minutes anyway which is false as you can watch movies that last up to 2 hours there.

Kohii wrote:
The French...

You asked $175 million for someone pretty much puting your fountain on someone else's lawn. If that isn't sue happy then I don't know what is?

Also, like it's been said earlier. The French, when will you learn you can't always pin the blame on someone else for your problems.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
France is now represented by one guy on an internet forum?

Huh, you learn something new every day.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:02 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Technology to stop ip violations lags decades behind technology to enable it. I wonder if that's natural or because tech to stop it means companies like Google would have fewer sites and content to make ad money off of?

Your position on copyright is frightening. Anyone stupid enough to engage you to address this question deserves your complete ignorance on the subject.

Here's an idea: find the answer on your own.

Perhaps then, you'll get a clue why your position is frightening, rather than spewing the "it's theft" rhetoric you soapbox on a daily basis.

IKKIsama wrote:

I agree. It's much easier to pass laws, placing burdens on companies which shouldn't carry them, and to strip every citizen of free speech as "collateral damage".

HADOPI hasn't even been on the book long enough to show any measure impact on the fight against piracy as it wasted no time netting innocent people who must pay to challenge the letter and have no legal recourse to fight the injustice.

Vive la USA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1