• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Files 3rd-Party Claim in Funimation's Lawsuit

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:01 am Reply with quote
I hope that both companies are able to work together and resolve this without a bloodbath. The R1 anime industry is shrinking as it is, and companies don't need to be at each other's throats. For people complaining and wishing death to Funi and/or Sentai, STOP IT!

Re: dubs - each title is unique (ok, most of them) and decisions are made by professionals. Some are good, some are bad. I'm sure the bass-ackwards decisions made by forces on both sides of the ocean make good fodder for many an ANNcast, but they're nothing to wish fiery destruction on a company for.
Some dubs are VERY good (see Cowboy Bebop, FMA (both series), Slayers, Night Raid 1931), others not so much - so kwitcherbellyakin' and enjoy your anime, as long as you're doing it legally.

P.S. I am SO glad this story did not break during OMGcon.
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote
I seriously question the thought process of anyone who seriously wants to see either company fold over. No matter which one wins the case, the winner would effectively become a monopoly anyway in a sense(making this whole thing really ironic). Since the remaining distribiutors: Viz, Aniplex USA, etc. don't do enough licensing to be considered serious competition and this is going to create a gap that in all honesty probably won't be filled anytime soon if ever with the way the economy is right now, as trying to start up a business in what is currently a degrading market would be well...stupid.

All this is gonna result in is less stuff coming over here and as fans, that;s not good for any of us. I seriously hope they can reach some kind of settlement before this turns into an industry destroying situation,
Maigraith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote
...I'm a little confused, why do people seem so angry if Funi did try to take over ADV? As long as it wasn't by illegal means, it's an acceptable(and common) business practice to takeover an existing company.

The other thing is, if Funi paid money for ADV's debt to Sojitz(?) but ADV says the debt was a con by Sojitz, mayhaps they should get together to pursue getting that Sojitz thing so Funi can get their money back and ADV can get what they deserve(the erasing of their debt or at least lowering of it).

Then again I could be missing the point entirely, I'm not well versed in all this.
linkismyhero

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
I literally registered on this forum because I'm appalled at some of the responses to this article I'm reading on here. "Shit dubs, shit use of voice actors, shitty business practices, blah blah blah."

I'm originally from the DFW area and my girlfriend is from Flower Mound, and I've spent a bit of time around and in the Funimation offices and made friends with a couple of the voice actors (before I even knew they were voice actors, I met them through other means, such as DJing). I've spoken to one of them regarding this lawsuit, but I will leave him unnamed.

Funimation and/or Sentai going out of business helps NO ONE. You have fewer opportunities for VAs who already aren't earning a whole heck of a lot of cash, and for directors/translators who are in the same boat. In fact, one VA I know for a fact most if not ALL of you would recognize as prolific, to say the least, doesn't have a heck of a lot of extra money except for what's required for the bare necessities. Con appearances are pretty much what's keeping him afloat.

One of you argued that Funimation or Sentai going out of business would cause more companies to pop up in the aftermath. These smaller companies can't possibly hope to afford the exorbitant licensing costs that come along with more prominent titles in Japan, and therefore the anime that you'd want translated would potentially take much, much longer to make it stateside... meaning piracy would increase (along with incredibly shitty fandubs, please spare my ears).

Funimation employs many amazing people who have nothing to do with this lawsuit other than working for the company who filed it. You're all focusing on the decisions of a small room of people and judging an entire company on it. If that's the case, then stop reading about this lawsuit and go back to reading your anime.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
If the rest of the R1 industry dies, it will be replaced by (perhaps) half hearted attempts to market stuff directly in the US by Japanese companies.
Some will work, some will fail, but the days of people starting a "licensing" based business for disc media with dubbing are long gone.
The buy-in is too pricey and the upside is too bleak with no decent chance of TV airings.
ihate4kids

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote
I somehow get the feeling this is how most fans are feeling right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgUm1oo46pw
Doug-348

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
linkismyhero wrote:
I literally registered on this forum because I'm appalled at some of the responses to this article I'm reading on here. "Shit dubs, shit use of voice actors, shitty business practices, blah blah blah."

I'm originally from the DFW area and my girlfriend is from Flower Mound, and I've spent a bit of time around and in the Funimation offices and made friends with a couple of the voice actors (before I even knew they were voice actors, I met them through other means, such as DJing). I've spoken to one of them regarding this lawsuit, but I will leave him unnamed.

Funimation and/or Sentai going out of business helps NO ONE. You have fewer opportunities for VAs who already aren't earning a whole heck of a lot of cash, and for directors/translators who are in the same boat. In fact, one VA I know for a fact most if not ALL of you would recognize as prolific, to say the least, doesn't have a heck of a lot of extra money except for what's required for the bare necessities. Con appearances are pretty much what's keeping him afloat.

One of you argued that Funimation or Sentai going out of business would cause more companies to pop up in the aftermath. These smaller companies can't possibly hope to afford the exorbitant licensing costs that come along with more prominent titles in Japan, and therefore the anime that you'd want translated would potentially take much, much longer to make it stateside... meaning piracy would increase (along with incredibly shitty fandubs, please spare my ears).

Funimation employs many amazing people who have nothing to do with this lawsuit other than working for the company who filed it. You're all focusing on the decisions of a small room of people and judging an entire company on it. If that's the case, then stop reading about this lawsuit and go back to reading your anime.

Agreed and I also do not get what people have against Funi to go under because they do not have bad business practices. Funi will not go under if they lose this lawsuit because Funimation has one thing Dragonball Z it is still a cash cow. Sentai or ADV has no Dragonball Z and when basically Funi became the number one after ADV went bankrupt that was their fault and nothing more. It seems to me this company is mad over that it getting sued for the money it conned other companies out of.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
If the rest of the R1 industry dies, it will be replaced by (perhaps) half hearted attempts to market stuff directly in the US by Japanese companies.
Some will work, some will fail, but the days of people starting a "licensing" based business for disc media with dubbing are long gone.
The buy-in is too pricey and the upside is too bleak with no decent chance of TV airings.

I certainly don't wish bankruptcy on either of the parties, but deep inside I wish that Bandai Visual USA would make a comeback. To this date I have yet to find an R1 DVD/BD release that was made with such quality in mind. It would also help tone down the insane amount of shipping and other fees the import community has to pay. Literally 25% of each one of my single disc purchases is pure shipping cost.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
To all the naysayers: SHUT UP.

The case is being moved to Federal court. So that indicates that both sides will eventually reach a settlement. Dragging it on would destroy both labels. Funimation would see their net worth drop and would be paying millions in legal fees and AD Vision would become what Sojitz wanted: locked in a prison of debt for several years.

End of Story.
punipuniwarrior

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:

I certainly don't wish bankruptcy on either of the parties, but deep inside I wish that Bandai Visual USA would make a comeback. To this date I have yet to find an R1 DVD/BD release that was made with such quality in mind. It would also help tone down the insane amount of shipping and other fees the import community has to pay. Literally 25% of each one of my single disc purchases is pure shipping cost.

I think this'd be nice too, I'd like them to finish what they started with Di Gi Charat Nyo
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote
punipuniwarrior wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

I think this'd be nice too, I'd like them to finish what they started with Di Gi Charat Nyo

...and the new(er) MS IGLOO! Also, Super Robot War: The Inspector. They would be the only company with the testicular fortitude to go for it.
linkismyhero

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Doug-348 wrote:
Sentai or ADV has no Dragonball Z and when basically Funi became the number one after ADV went bankrupt that was their fault and nothing more. It seems to me this company is mad over that it getting sued for the money it conned other companies out of.

ADV didn't ever have one DBZ esque title, but they had SEVERAL one or two season titles that were massively popular. Evangelion, anyone?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
It's not Warner Bros. that I hate... it's their home video division... my GAWD, I DESPISE that company.

Their on-demand service is even more lacking.

I actually don't mind their "Warner Archive" line since it's run by a different crew of people (that actually seem to *GASP* care about the titles that they release!), and because of it, I'm able to pick up some classic Hanna-Barbera cartoons that Warner Home Video refused to touch. Apparently, the line has been so successful, that many other companies have begun doing something similar. However, they have yet to release ANY of the Scooby cartoons that Warner Home Video just does NOT seem to want to put on DVD (such as ANYTHING with Scrappy). However, Scooby is Warner Home Video's cash cow (have you SEEN how many releases they've done? I'm serious, some episodes have been released to DVD at least 12 times...), and they'd refuse to release ANY of it to Warner Archive (even the episodes that have YET to make it to DVD!)... same with those Cartoon Network shows... I just don't know WHAT they're thinking...

Alright, rant over! Continue on! Cool
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Also, it seems hilarious that a company is suing a company that is suing a company that claims the first company is no longer a company.
Using that company's name. It's like something out of Glee, or The Simpson's. I'm glad I wasn't the only one to comprehend that one. The people at Sojitz must be laughing their arses off whilst sharpening their katana's. Laughing
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Technically speaking, that should totaly break that whole newco thing Sentai's been trying to pull and that would mean that they would have to throw the towel in something closely resembling a dignified manor.

Course Texas is another freaking reality onto itself so whatever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12