• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:58 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
*reads replies to my post*

R.I.P attempts of sarcasm without a smiley face. Oh and just in case.. Rolling Eyes

I personally thought it was pretty clear you were joking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KingKaos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:04 am Reply with quote
Well this new series shows that it follows the manga very closely... Sure the're are a few changes made to make it fit into 25minutes... I liked this new episode, the one thing I didn't really care for was Cornello going Hulk... but I realise that the creators probably made that part to really seperate this series from the last one, they had to make some changes. I'm thinking that once we get to the "new" stuff that major changes like that won't happen much... good Razz

Well my brother loved this episode, he says its the best episode so far... now remember, my bro hasn't seen the other FMA series nor has he read the manga, he just started watchin this anime...

I think this series is perfect for the people who prefer the manga...
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:07 am Reply with quote
KingKaos wrote:
I think this series is perfect for the people who prefer the manga...

And yet, it is an Anime series. Which means it will never be a perfect adaptation (and as people have mentioned, it isn't).

My thoughts after three episodes is that the show is quite watchable. It isn't great, but it is fairly good in its own right. Of course, there have been some problems, namely the handling of Trisha (in my opinion), but by and large it accomplishes itself well. I'll need to watch quite a few more episodes to make a decision on which series I like better, but at the moment I am enjoying it. Comparisons are inevitable, but who at this point can say which series is "better"? Hindsight is what is needed, and we won't get that for awhile. Until then, don't believe anyone who claims to know which show is better show in its own right. As for faithfulness, well that's a different story, and can be judged right from the get-go. That is, if you believe a slavish adherence to the Manga is being "faithful".

I must admit though, it is slightly strange to be watching all of this again, especially since I have the entire first series and the movie on DVD. Why watch fansubs when I have the "real thing"? But then if I wasn't watching Brotherhood, I wouldn't be able to come to this thread and spout my barely-coherent ramblings now, would I?
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
First of all, I think that Edward and Alphonse were largely the same in the first series as they are in the manga. Alphonse is a little more independant in the manga, perhaps, but that didn't even really develop until after the first series had already finished. I would say that in most of the cases, we had a lot of the same personalities, just approached differently. Now, you can probably make a case for Kimbley, who is much more zen about his murderous intent in the manga than the mad bomber in the first show, or Riza who seems like less of a Roy Mustang fangirl in the manga, or Scar who's actually relevant in the first series and not just a walking weapon like in the manga, but Ed and Al are the same.

Second, as far as this episode, I was pretty impressed how they managed to successfully cover all the major portions of those initial chapters of the manga so well in a single episode, with a pacing a lot more tolerable than the previous episode. I found myself not missing the bird chimera or the floating ororborus symbol from the first two episodes of the first series. (I facepalm now over the mistake Bones made with Envy using alchemy as Cornello in the first series.) It's interesting how they trimmed it by cutting out the expository dialogue between the brothers and Rose at the beginning and having them meet her in the church, instead, compensating for her lack of dialogue with her more heated conflict of faith when the brothers confronted Cornello. Cornello also seemed more pathetic this time around, showing what a little man he is, even as he went all CORNELLO SMASH.

This episode was okay. The next episode, with Tucker, will be the first real test of the new series, though.

I just wish that they'd stop using that tune where it seems like they're in an Italian restaurant. I almost expected Rose to start setting down fresh bread every few minutes.

This is just a point of view, for me Ed, but Al in particular, are really different in the first anime of what they are in the manga, and in the new anime they are doing an excellent job in keeping the version of their personalities I like the best, so far. Smile

About the episode itself, I liked it and my boyfriend, who doesn't read the manga but watched the old anime, liked it as well AND said that the mood was different (another thing BONES is doing well: making it clear that the mood this time around mirrors the one in the manga better than the first time around).

I was a bit surprised for Cornello's "transformation", I admit it, but then, if we have to start nick picking things like that (which only last for few seconds and have no relevance to the plot at all), then I would have never enjoyed the first series at all (yes, I noticed something was strange and "out of place" in that even BEFORE starting to read the manga... especially towards the ending episodes, and the movie I didn't never really like even if I still didn't know the manga when I watched it).

P.S. I'm Italian, and even if I can't talk for ALL Italian restaurants (of course), I've never noticed Latin chores in the background. Wink
If you were talking about that particular track, at least.

Last edited by Sariachan on Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:29 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
*reads replies to my post*

R.I.P attempts of sarcasm without a smiley face. Oh and just in case.. Rolling Eyes

Oops sorry yes I admit I am very bad at catching sarcasm on the Internet. Although I guess the Armstrong thing should have given it away.

Quote:
This is just a point of view, for me Ed, but Al in particular, are really different in the first anime of what they are in the manga, and in the new anime they are doing an excellent job in keeping the version of their personalities I like the best, so far.

Thank you, I definitely do not think Ed & Al are the same at all in the anime & manga. And as you said Al is especially different. Al is one of my favorite characters in the manga and yet I dislike his characterization in the anime so I know there has to be something different. Or perhaps it is all in my head.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
P.S. I'm Italian, and even if I can talk for ALL Italian restaurants, I've never noticed Latin chores in the background. Wink
If you were talking about that particular tracks, at least.

I meant the tune they used when Al was talking to Rose.

Also, it's my guess here's a huge difference between Italian restaurants actually in Italy and the Italian restaurants here in the States.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
[...]
Thank you, I definitely do not think Ed & Al are the same at all in the anime & manga. And as you said Al is especially different. Al is one of my favorite characters in the manga and yet I dislike his characterization in the anime so I know there has to be something different. Or perhaps it is all in my head.

Same here, I started to dislike him a bit after the second half of the first anime, while in the manga he and Ed are my favourite characters, together with Winry (another character the first anime didn't make justice to at all Sad ).

penguintruth wrote:

I meant the tune they used when Al was talking to Rose.

Also, it's my guess here's a huge difference between Italian restaurants actually in Italy and the Italian restaurants here in the States.

I checked, it wasn't the one with Latin (or at least it seems Latin ^^' ) chores, but it still has some European sound to it. Maybe it's the instruments they used to play it.
Anyway, I think it's a beautiful music.

P.S. I bet going to Italian restaurants in the USA would be hilarious, for me! Anime hyper

P.P.S. Same reasons I can't take seriously an anime like Ristorante Paradiso... sorry for the off topic, but not so off since it's strange seeing how other people see Italy from the outside. But I guess this could be applied to every Country. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I have a lot of mixed feelings about this episode. I've gotta say, I still like the 1st series' rendition better. If/when I rewatch this series in the future, I think I'm just going to cut out the 1st episode and replace it with this one, heh. I really just want to get through all of these sort of preliminary episodes as of now, because the one thing that made them better in the anime than they were in the manga, imo, was the pacing, which is practically unheard of here. That said, I think they actually did a fairly decent job of condensing Lior to 1 episode - it's not quite as rushed as the 1st 2 episodes - I just prefer it the way it was done before. And as a quick aside, I don't know why everybody is hating on all of the creepy bird goodness in the 1st series, I rather liked it (well, aside from the whole Envy-using-alchemy plot hole) Razz Thought it set up the tone quite nicely. It would've been really out of place here, though, yeah.

And I get that the tone is supposed to be different, I expected that, and I can accept that, but the humor is just really wearing on me. The short jokes were pretty heavy last time, too, but I don't feel like it was this bad - that's probably just due to the new 1st episode, though. And it still just feels really cartoony to me. Like JesuOtaku said, the animation feels really flat at times.

The music irked me a bit more in this episode, too. Just felt out of place in some bits. The tune you're talking about, penguintruth, is it the same one used in the last episode, where Ed is in a wheelchair outside, reading about the philosopher's stone? That's the one that catches me off guard. It'll probably grow on me, but right now, it still strikes me as odd. That, and the music during the scene where they're running away from Cornello didn't sound right, to me. It made me think "videogame," for some reason. It's still pretty nice music, though.

The whole Cornello-Hulk thing...ugh. I don't know how anyone could prefer that to the creepy bird monster in the 1st series, but that's just me. This whole part made the show feel way too shounen-y for me - not to say that it isn't shounen, but I like to think that it isn't so typically shounen as that. And the whole fist of god thing was way too cartoony for my tastes this time around, although I guess it didn't need to be as dramatic as the 1st series, without the 2 episode build up behind it. Still... meh.

I actually didn't mind the whole Rose-gun thing. As long as they make the whole spoiler[Winry-gun] thing even better Razz The thing that bothered me most about that was that I had been hoping to get the dramatic scene where she's hiding in the armor, and then she still slowly walks away from them and sides with Cornello. Her shooting Al's head off wasn't a bad alternative, but it really lost the impact it could've had since they've already revealed all of that stuff. Same goes for Ed's arm and leg, yadda yadda yadda. Actually, the more I think about it, the more disappointed I am that we didn't get to see that scene in the manga adapted, as that was one of the few scenes in the beginning of the manga that I found to be better than the anime...oh well D:

The scene at the end with Gluttony and Lust was, once again, done very well. In general, this episode got through what it needed to get through. Still a little rushed, but I've just come to expect that, now, which is sad, really. A lot of scenes were taken straight out of the manga, though, so that was nice. I'm already lowering my expectations for next week, though, because I find the 1st anime's version of it to be so superior to the manga's, personally - I was a fan of the series from the start, but that episode is what completely and absolutely hooked me, and I really cannot see Brotherhood's version being better. Not based on what we've seen so far, at least. But, hey, I may be wrong. I guess we'll see.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fawfulhasfury

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
This guy basically sums up my thoughts about each and every episode.

Warning: Spoilers for those who haven't seen the episodes yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
p3rseus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 was simply horrible, FMA is one of my favorite anime of all time and I can say that had I not watched the original first I would have think of this anime as mediocre at best after watching episode 3.

The art style does not compare to the original, it's not nearly as good. There's no much attention to detail, even if they're going for different and a more manga look they could have polish this much more. The dialog feels forced just to make it different. And the animations looked like a slideshow with very few if any scenes having more than a few seconds of continuous play.

Given I did enjoy the first episode, and the second episode was ok although not as good as its counterpart in the original but if the third episode is any indication of the future of this anime, it'll be a disappointment. It seems rushed to turn in a profit.

Then there's the episode which can't keep itself serious at any time, in the original although there were some comedy parts the series when knew when to take itself seriously, not so in here, even parts that should be given a serious tone have some random dialog or emotion icons thrown in taking away from the moment.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:54 am Reply with quote
Have you even read the original manga?

The humor was the same.

Unless your talking about the first anime adaptation, but that's not the original the manga is the original.

Great episode, I especially love the two mistaking Al for the Fullmetal Alchemist jokes just because the way the joke played out was unique. Great series so far, an excellent blend of comedy and drama. The move on your own leg thing was a lot better simply because the emphasized that its not going to be easy for Rose to go on living with the hope of her lover's ressurection gone.
abynormal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:35 am Reply with quote
My only gripe about this episode is that I thought Rose was cuter as an Ishballan.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote
abynormal wrote:
My only gripe about this episode is that I thought Rose was cuter as an Ishballan.

Ha ha, those people were never Ishbalan. They were an eastern ethnic group like the Ishbalans but that's not quite the same thing. Ishbalans are a very specific line of people with a defined religion and culture that were targeted by the powers-that-be to fuel the national conflict. (Same thing in the manga, but with a broader scope. To the north! Wink )

That's like saying all Middle Eastern people are Jews, which is certainly not the case! Anime hyper (And yeah, I actually think the creators of the first FMA were drawing a few direct connections between the Ishbalans and the Jews. Just a few.)

I thought Rose was cuter and more appealing the first time around too, though. Very Happy
fireratman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
so its neo city, the ravagins of boomers don't go unchecked. is it neo city or mabye an A.D. type where magic and superstition are what is rule. Either way there has to be the belivers of justice with guns and supernatural powers, because the boomers have the city all ravaged and decade "Ghosts"
abynormal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:42 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Ha ha, those people were never Ishbalan. They were an eastern ethnic group like the Ishbalans but that's not quite the same thing. Ishbalans are a very specific line of people with a defined religion and culture that were targeted by the powers-that-be to fuel the national conflict. (Same thing in the manga, but with a broader scope. To the north! Wink )

That's like saying all Middle Eastern people are Jews, which is certainly not the case! Anime hyper (And yeah, I actually think the creators of the first FMA were drawing a few direct connections between the Ishbalans and the Jews. Just a few.)

I thought Rose was cuter and more appealing the first time around too, though. Very Happy

It's been awhile since I've seen the first series, but I assumed she was meant to be Ishbalan due to her skin color and red eyes (if I'm remembering correctly). Also, later on in the series she spoiler[is tortured by the military and becomes a major figurehead for the Ishbalan refugees, as well as is adopted by Scar almost like a sister.] I didn't think that would have any significance unless she was at least part Ishbalan.

I wouldn't doubt the Ishbalan / Jewish parallel. This is set in an spoiler[alternate 1900's Europe], after all.

I'm glad we can both agree on one thing, though. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 64