• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyopop recent quality issues

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote
Well, that's weird that 5 is the cheapo version, but they went back for the regular version for 6. I still haven't gotten Fruits Basket 23 (the last one), so I'm a bit apprehensive if they dropped the quality for the final volume, or decided to keep the quality for their biggest series.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Well, that's weird that 5 is the cheapo version, but they went back for the regular version for 6. I still haven't gotten Fruits Basket 23 (the last one), so I'm a bit apprehensive if they dropped the quality for the final volume, or decided to keep the quality for their biggest series.

Well if they have normal quality for the final volume of their biggest series, then we know TP's line about not having their normal paper stock available to them from the printers is complete BS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
I still haven't gotten Fruits Basket 23 (the last one), so I'm a bit apprehensive if they dropped the quality for the final volume, or decided to keep the quality for their biggest series.

Sorry to disappoint, but Vol. 23 is noticeably thinner than the other volumes because of the lesser grade paper used. I'm a bit disappointed about it, too.
lys

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Well, that's weird that 5 is the cheapo version, but they went back for the regular version for 6.

I'm guessing this particular volume 5 was a reprinted edition, and the regular-paper vol. 6 was an earlier printing, since +Anima has been finished for a while now. At least it's a sign they aren't letting the books go out of print...! (ever optimistic) If you're really picky about conformity, maybe you'd do better to try finding a used copy online, since at least that would be more likely to be the first-printing?
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Lys wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:
Well, that's weird that 5 is the cheapo version, but they went back for the regular version for 6.

I'm guessing this particular volume 5 was a reprinted edition, and the regular-paper vol. 6 was an earlier printing, since +Anima has been finished for a while now. At least it's a sign they aren't letting the books go out of print...! (ever optimistic) If you're really picky about conformity, maybe you'd do better to try finding a used copy online, since at least that would be more likely to be the first-printing?

Ah, I didn't realize that +Anima was a finished series. Now it makes more sense.
Extalia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Even though I'm not in the publishing business all I can say is that Tp treats its work like an amateur. Not even including the author's notes in the manga is one thing, but not translating the sound effects and and not guaranteeing accurate translations as well as not including everything that was originally in the manga itself is another. Tp says that it puts out "high quality" products but in my opinion that's just false advertisement. They have so many mangas licensed and yet they have the audacity to lie and put out newspaper quality products. If you check on wikipedia, they make millions and yet can't even put most of that money into the quality of their products. I'm just hoping one day, Tp smells the roses and realizes that it needs to change how it treats its manga.
Extalia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote
The day that Tp changes is one of three things either when it gets volumes of hate mail saying:Improve your quality", or when someone walks up to CEO and says: "Stop treating the quality of your manga like a newspaper, and start treating it with respect". The last one is that Tokyopop gives up most of its manga licenses and stops being cheap on quality.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I just received the last two volumes of CCS from rightstuf, and noticed they looked like crap, so I searched for a topic to make sure rs didn't suddenly start selling bootleg manga and sure enough I find this. I'm glad I'm not currently buying anything else they make, but this still sucks. My CCS collection was disjointed enough being a mix of ugly bright red spines, and normal nice looking ones. Now I've got these thin things that look like they were left out in the sun too long. The poor cover art...
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
I just received the last two volumes of CCS from rightstuf, and noticed they looked like crap, so I searched for a topic to make sure rs didn't suddenly start selling bootleg manga and sure enough I find this. I'm glad I'm not currently buying anything else they make, but this still sucks. My CCS collection was disjointed enough being a mix of ugly bright red spines, and normal nice looking ones. Now I've got these thin things that look like they were left out in the sun too long. The poor cover art...

Perhaps now might not be the best time for you to know that Dark Horse is going to re-release Cardcaptor Sakura in the omnibus format, then. Confused
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Well I hate omnibus, and I bought all the other volumes like a year ago anyway, but uh what, Dark Horse? When did they get the license? How did Tokyo Pop find time to pump out some badly done last minute reprints?
adam_omega

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
As much as I love Dark Horse's quality (well, not as much as when Studio Proteus was handling their books, but Carl Gustav Horn does a good job), it is pretty sad when you think that all the time and love that Jake Forbes and his team put into some of those Tokyopop CLAMP releases is all going to be lost.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Wow. It's sad to hear even the paper quality is that far gone. I actually just packed away my TokyoPop editions of CLAMP's Clover after getting the Dark Horse omnibus. Those editions had some really nice paper and presentation. They even had damn dust jackets. Sadly they rip a bit easy due to the gorgeous transparent paper, but it was still such well done presentation. This was in TokyoPop's early days. One of them even says Chix Comics on the spine instead of TokyoPop and lists Mixx Entertainment inside.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Wow. It's sad to hear even the paper quality is that far gone. I actually just packed away my TokyoPop editions of CLAMP's Clover after getting the Dark Horse omnibus. Those editions had some really nice paper and presentation. They even had damn dust jackets. Sadly they rip a bit easy due to the gorgeous transparent paper, but it was still such well done presentation. This was in TokyoPop's early days. One of them even says Chix Comics on the spine instead of TokyoPop and lists Mixx Entertainment inside.

I want those SO bad. Those were in my opinion the nicest release a manga ever got here, and I was really hoping Del Rey was going to do something similar to XXXholic since the Japanese edition of those books are so nice but... no. Boo.

I really don't like how thin the paper is getting. Thankfully now that Fruits Basket is over, I don't really have any Tokyopop titles I want at the moment. If they'd get out that final Good Witch of the West novel, that's be a different story... but then it'd only be one manga.
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:30 am Reply with quote
It's dissapointing that this has happened with Tokyopop's quality. But years ago their GTO release was atrociously mistypeset.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
Going against my "anti-Tokyopop" rule, I did get 3-4/2 of Planetes at Otakon and had already gotten the first two volumes from a used book store (which I'm ok with because no money goes directly to Tokyopop) and anyway, read them all last night.

So, the first two volumes I had were the older ones, the ones without the big red sticker, and then the last three were more recent in that they all had the big red label, but not recent enough that they were made of tissue paper. First off, in volume two, there was a big amount of Japanese text right at the beginning of a chapter. They left it untranslated. "Ok," I went, "guess it's not important? But curse you Tokyopop anyway for this". Then in volume three, they had apparently received and listened to complaints and wrote:
Quote:
Planetes Vol. 2 featured a poem by Kenji Miazawa entitled "Black Flowers Called Sakinohaka." I made an editorial choice to leave the poem untranslated, unable to locate a scholarly translation and not willing to tackle the complex metaphors and imagery in a literal translation. However, several readers wrote to me requesting at least a humble translation of the work and so I feature it here, in the midst of Tanabe's journey of self-discover...
-Editor

So I suppose this means that at one point, they actually used to listen to fans, but does that really excuse it? "Black Flowers Called Sakinohaka" was the name of the chapter, that would have made a lot of sense! Ok, fine, he left it untranslated at the time it appeared, but most of the volumes had pages of extras about it after it, why not have mentioned this in volume 2 itself in an editor's note at the back of it? I wouldn't have minded that. I can't think of any other company that does that, it's like I read any volume by not Tokyopop, then I read some by Tokyopop and it's all "ugh!" to me. I remember I used to not have a problem at first, but that was also before Del Rey started taking a good part of the manga market and I'm ashamed to admit that when I was first getting into manga, I tried to get as much Tokyopop stuff as possible and ignore Viz (I like Viz, a lot now, I just wish they'd stop advertising Phoenix without printing more copies of it) because if you had asked me back in 2003 I suppose whom I thought published the best manga in America, I'd have said Tokyopop (I suppose to defend my past thinking, they do have a few good series, they used to not print on tissue paper, and they used to be much better).
I also had trouble reading some of the lines throughout all of Planetes because they were slightly off of proper English from time to time if you ask me. On the plus side, the only volume that had no color pages was 3, and then volumes 4/1 and 4/2 both had at least two sets of color pages.

Actually, that's something I've noticed go bye-bye with Tokyopop especially, but I guess other publishers too: what happened to color pages? No one ever prints them anymore, I just want a couple! And not just in the magazine, in the graphic novel version too!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8