• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyopop recent quality issues

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
I don't like Viz that much, because some of their logos are exceptionally ugly (new Signature Line, ew). I personally like the way DelRay and CMX do it. Their logo's may be fairly large, but they change the colours to match the spine. At the same time they're still consistent, so putting several of their series next to eachother on a shelve looks pretty cool. Tokyopop puts red on pink and purple, yuck.

Viz's old Sig Line were fine, the black flower thing looks good on most anything and the old Editor's Choice crowns (at least on my Maison Ikkoku books) either matched the spine colors or were black. Their old Action and Shojo logos did color matching pretty well too and the Viz logo itself at the bottom of the spine was pretty small (and ever after they changed kept the same size so it doesn't stick out all goofy). Their new "V" action logos don't exactly entice me though, those are kinda ugly and the "SIG" words are just awful.
CMX and del Rey are pretty much as you said, but when the CMX ones are yellow, I really don't like those very much (when they were light blue on Moon Child, that went nicely).

But then Tokyopop, I'm lucky in that most of the series I have from them are older, back when the logo was small and worked nicely into the decoration (or at least didn't ruin it), My Cardcaptor Sakura: Master of the Clow books are a good example and my Jing: King of Bandit ones just have the miniature logo on the spine in the top. In fact, I honestly didn't know those were Tokyopop logos for a good year or so because they were so small and out of the way. But then, just as Jing was finishing up printing, they changed to the red and I remember going "ooh, damn, I hope they print the last two with the good spines so they match everything else!" and I was lucky in that they did (at least for Jing). But those huge red symbols? Could they have really not come up with anything better or were they just trying to be pretentious? It ruined the spine of Battle Royale if you ask me, everyone else does some minor color changes to their logo on the spine, why can't TP?

Actually, what is it with Viz and Tokyopop with their spine logo changes to something far more ugly? In Viz's case, their logo at the bottom has remained relatively unchanged, but then the series line at the top has been changing to look worse. I don't think I've seen anything new to their shojo line in ages (the shojo beat line seems significantly different if you ask me, although I could see most of those titles being put under the old shojo line. Then again, I'm pretty sure Hot Gimmick was under shojo line, but it's getting a big edition.) In TP's case...it's been said, just look at them.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Viz and Tokyopop's logos did change for the worst. The new ones stand out in a bad way. CMX's logo was pretty bad in the beginning, but they figured that out within their first year and changed it for the better. Why can't Viz and Tokyopop do the same?
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:

That's another reason why I absolutely can't stand Tokyopop. They make more typing errors than all of the other major publishers combined. It's completely unnecessary.

They thought they could save costs by changing the paper, but didn't they realize that the new paper would turn off all of their customers? Instead of saving them money, it will make them lose their money and their small puddle of a fanbase.

Another problem of mine is how hard they try to push their name out there. Is it really necessary to ruin their titles' covers by adding that unnecessary Tokyopop logo? And the spines have that ugly red and white mark. Why can't they be like Yen Press and have one small logo on the spine, and leave it at that? Even Viz's is pretty small, and at least their imprint logos don't take up an entire inch of space.

I really agree that the amount of errors they have is unacceptable. I'd expect large novels to be riddled with them, but honestly, I find more errors in a single TP volume of manga than I do in the average novel I read. It should be the other way around.

The thing with the paper.... Yeah the quality is bad, but what bothered me was that they lowered the quality of their books, and then RAISED their prices. It's not supposed to work that way.

The logos don't really bother me. The only thing that bothers me is when (TP specifically) they plaster stuff like "From the creator of," "the best selling shojo/shonen title" all over the cover (specifically on the front).
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
KrisEllieOphi wrote:
The logos don't really bother me. The only thing that bothers me is when (TP specifically) they plaster stuff like "From the creator of," "the best selling shojo/shonen title" all over the cover (specifically on the front).

At least when Viz did that, they put on stickers that (usually) came off pretty easy. "From the creator of Inuyasha" printed on the front of every Maison Ikkoku volume would have just ruined it beyond belief for me!
barkera

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:01 am Reply with quote
It's great and all that TokyoPop are bring back better paper... but what about those of us who ordered stuff over the last few months and get rubbish quality manga? I can't help but feel being ripped off since I ordered 12 volumes online and find they're all horrible quality...
Extalia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
barkera wrote:
It's great and all that TokyoPop are bring back better paper... but what about those of us who ordered stuff over the last few months and get rubbish quality manga? I can't help but feel being ripped off since I ordered 12 volumes online and find they're all horrible quality...
I can sympathize with you buddy. A while back I was happy buying my favorite series frrom them, and that was way before I had found out about Tokyopop's current stats as a publisher that failed to get most of any fan's approval. -_-
Avelice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:30 am Reply with quote
I know what you mean. Tokyo Pop has really dropped on its quality. I just recently bought maid-sama! and I have to say the paper is really starting to bug me. Its like the paper they use in the magazines. The cheep stuff. They expect us to collect manga, but they are just giving us their half ***** manga quality. It has been a while since I bought a TP manga because Im used to Viz Shojo beat's low prices, but now its open game for me because now all prices are the same now... just when I finally pick up a TP manga the quality sucks.
Even the grammar is pretty bad at times too, but at least I can support the artist for all their hard work, its not their fault the companies keep messing up.
Extalia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I REALLY REALLY wanted Kaichou wa maid-sama, when I heard that it had been licensed, but to my unfornate luck, it had to be by licensed by Tokyopop. Now, whenever I see Maid-sama! in stores I keep --__-- because of TP
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote
That paper they used for a few months isn't that bad- around the same as CMX's [though their stock is just a bit thicker]. Still, they switched back to a better paper [I got Karakuri Odette 1- MUCH better], so it's kind of a moot to complain about it now. I imagine any series that get reprints'll get nicer paper for those volumes, but for now it's not really the worst that can happen. Manga fans need perspective....
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
CMX also uses cheap stuff, but they're cheaper than Tokyopop and their paper isn't so thin you can see the next page through it.
TheSparLynx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
I thought I was the only one who was complaining about this. In the newer Card Captor Sakura books I was repulsed on how flimsy the cover was.

Another thing I found with errors. In my #2 volume of the old print Paradise Kiss. There was a manga page of initial D replacing a PK one. The text was from PK but the images were from initial D >.<

On the logo part. Tokyopop has an UGLY logo! it's huge, ugly, stands out. It would have been nice if they at least used a different colour instead of red to match the spine of the book.

Viz does have an ugly one but The SB and SJ line have nice, simple, and clean covers that look professional.

Yen is simple and clean.

CMX is alright.
elloshiions

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:05 pm Reply with quote
the latest manga i have purchased from tokyopop was the final fruits basket volume. as soon as i removed the plastic wrapping on the book, i was like, "what the heck?!" the book was so light, thin and was easy to "fold around." i was disappointed because all the other volumes of the collection was not like that. the quality has definitely dropped, and does not seem worth the price, if i must say...
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
It ts nice that Tokyopop is retuening to the regular paper. I don't know if that'll cause me to rebuy Future Diary 1-3 though.

On the subject of logos, the nice and sinple ones are the best like Yen Press and Seven Seas. Del Rey likes to color match their logos to the spines, which is nice, but I think they should keep one color for longer series (eg. Parasyte vs. Negima!). The fact that they even bothered to think that through is impressive. Viz has a wide variety of logos for their different lines and most are just fine. I think the reason the SJ and SB logos succeed where the big red V fails is that they don't change the background (see Death Note or HunterxHunter). But I guess those logos didn't stand out enough Rolling Eyes .

Speaking of standing out, that is exactly what the Tokyopop logo acheives, though not in a good way. It's even worse when they add a genre logo (also red) at the bottom.
sj21

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
i got the first three volumes of Sgt. Frog and it wasn't noticable but those aren't new so i gues it doesn't count but yeah manga is so expensive now, shonen jump is the cheapest but i mean i bought lucky star volume 1 today and it was 10.99 for 148 pages, such a rip off.
Extalia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Tokyopop should just give up on translating Japanese manga. I mean there was a mention once that their Original English manga, sold almost as well as their best-selling manga. It's for Tokyopop's own good if they want to stop receiving hate mail or more backlashes. And plus, without those Japanese licenses in Tp's hands, fans would probably see their favorite series in better condition( meaning as close to the original as possible and in translation quality too(:
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8