• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mamoru Oshii Confirmed to Direct 1 Part of Halo Legends

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
I dislike both Oshii and Halo. This will be a definite pass.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:56 am Reply with quote
I don't get it. How can you people assume just because he wants to an animated piece for a popular franchise you automatically assume he's selling out? Get off your high pedestal already.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:34 am Reply with quote
I don't think he's selling out, per se, I just think he's trying too hard to be contemporary by taking part in an adaptation of a popular video game. You don't see Yasuhiro Imagawa clamoring to do a Gears of War anime.

Not yet, anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LondinCalling

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:56 am Reply with quote
That's funny, I was just watching patlabor today. Although, I do wish American animation studios were being used. I have a pride issue.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:08 am Reply with quote
I say he's "selling out" because he's a director who does almost exclusively arthouse films and has passed up countless opportunities to work on "popular" properties, yet is suddenly doing an anime adaptation of a popular video game without any particular literary merit, and while I certainly can't pretend to know what he's being paid, I think it's safe to say that it's a lot. What I'm asking is, out of all the video games of which to make animated adaptations, why choose Halo?? I mean, are there seriously not better candidates, games with stories that are deeper and of greater artistic merit?? Halo is popular because it's a fun game, not because it has any deep or meaningful literary merit, and I think Oshii of all people should - and probably does - realize this. Trying to look at it from the top, I don't see why Oshii, or any of these other directors for that matter, would choose Halo first without a generous incentive, which I'm sure Microsoft is providing with gusto given their rabid enthusiasm to capitalize on the Halo franchise. As for Oshii, even if he doesn't need or doesn't care about the money, as Penguintruth said, he is probably grasping for popularity with younger and foreign viewers, which, given that he's doing so by working on something significantly below the sky-high pedigree that he himself has established, is still selling out as far as I'm concerned.

And let me reiterate, in case I didn't make it clear enough: it's not the fact that he's trying to get some easy cash/popularity that pisses me off, it's that he's doing so in contradiction to THE STANDARDS HE HIMSELF HAS SET. I was a little upset when I heard about Peter Jackson working on Halo, but I figured, hey, maybe he just really likes the games; he's already built his reputation on working on things that he just really likes. So, fine. But Mamoru Oshii has cultivated a completely different public image, and this just feels like an outright betrayal of it. He's above working on any "popular" franchise, he wouldn't work on The Animatrix because it's "too similar" to his previous work - in fact, he's basically critical and scoffs at all things "popular" - and now all of a sudden he's working on HALO. A guy who has built his entire career on completely defying the mainstream, working on one of the most mainstream properties imaginable. It's the hypocrisy, more than anything, that makes it sting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:27 am Reply with quote
Holy crap, want very badly.

To those who are criticizing this development: Halo isn't a literary masterpiece, no, but its worldview does have many stories to tell (the existing novels, graphic novels and short film are proof enough), and I enjoy them immensely, to be honest -- as do a good number of other people, evidently.

This isn't selling out, I think it's just Oshii branching out, and getting involved with a project outside of the types of stories he's used to telling. Or hell:

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Oh good, this means we can expect Master Chief to sit in a chair for 20 minutes and explain his actions and the possible consequences.

Maybe we will get something like this. I'd be game for that, actually; it's not like Halo historically lacks action. I'm just excited to see what such an interesting combination produces, though, especially with one of my favorite video game series.
2DOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:54 am Reply with quote
I thought Red vs. Blue was a fine Halo adaptation...
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:57 am Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
THE STANDARDS HE HIMSELF HAS SET.

If that is the case, doesn't he have a right to deviate from his own standards? No one has the right to say otherwise. I'm with Big Hed on this one. He is just branching out. It by no means negates the works he has already done, nor will it negate any future projects. Heck, maybe he's played Halo and loves the games and/or story.

That is what I'm most excited about. While the games are fun, I was more interested in the cutscenes. I love the Halo Universe and can't wait to soak up more of the story.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:19 am Reply with quote
gatotsu: Um, no, Oshii's never exclusively done arthouse stuff. He has an arthouse take on certain genres, but his work is either mainstream or it paved the way for the stuff you see in mainstream anime. Anyway, if you're going to argue about HALO being beneath him, well, all I can respond is, "Have you read the original UY?" It's not low-rent, but it's definitely more of a title meant more for mass-consumption, than, say, the Keiko Takemiya stuff. I mean, if he needed the money, he could whore himself out in Japan. So I'm assuming he's doing it, because he likes the challenge of working on something new. And I don't think he needs young people to get into his work, since his name's fairly synonymous with GITS by now.
As for why he dropped the Animatrix, I imagine it's because he was busy on GITS 2.

As for the other directors, well, the breadth of Shinji Aramaki's work can be summed up as Michael Bay's Transformers with a plot and genuine sci-fi elements. Razz So I doubt Halo's any different for him.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:55 am Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
Original works are the best >.<

And yet, you rated Haruhi, which is an adaptation of a light novel, as a masterpiece.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
weils

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:27 am Reply with quote
I don't care whether Oshii 'sold out' or not, it's not relevant here. I'm really excited on this project, since it features some of the very big names in the anime industry. It will be interesting to see how each director and anime studio perceive and come up with their own viewpoint of the Halo universe.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
Original works are the best >.<

And yet, you rated Haruhi, which is an adaptation of a light novel, as a masterpiece.

Maybe because Haruhi is Japanese and Halo is an American game?
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy Halo & Oshii, I'll be picking this up...

Question about the whole selling out matter, were any of the studios involved in The Animatrix, Batman - Gotham Knight & Kill Bill accused of the same thing??
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
weils wrote:
I don't care whether Oshii 'sold out' or not, it's not relevant here.

Good point. An awesome teamup is an awesome teamup, I suppose Smile
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Oh good, this means we can expect Master Chief to sit in a chair for 20 minutes and explain his actions and the possible consequences. I sure do love Oshii.

Hahaha, you'd think, but these are short films. So you only get 7-10 minutes of exposition, no talk of consequences and nothing after that. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3