• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - ANTI-PIRACY HYSTERIA

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
The way Brian uses the term "cartoon" is how I personally would use the term "animation". I generally think of cartoons to refer to western animation and anime to refer to japanese animation. Though in most conversation, I just call them all 'shows' and leave it at that. As long as the show is good, it doesn't really matter where it came from.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Can I just say that I LOVED your description of the ANN Demonic Cabal, with Zac as the satanic lord? (Poor Mike; I hope he doesn't have to be in the Pain Dungeon for long.) Still, I can't help but wonder what this says about the ANN staff, as exaggerated as it was. I mean, Zac has Skeletor as his avatar . . . .

Which leads me into the "cartoons vs. anime" argument. While I don't necessarily see this debate ever dying anytime soon, I can't help to compare anime to other forms of under-appreciated forms of art (heavy metal immediately comes to mind). Sure, they may have their time in the sun, but for the most part, it's an underground community expanding on word-of-mouth. Over time it can become rather insular, resulting in a certain kind of fervor over maintaining purity and such. I mean, look at video games and the ridiculous arguments of "hardcore" games against the broadening of the video game culture, or those who insist that all anime and manga be pirated and free.

Which leads me into the piracy question. To be honest, his remarks touch on a question that I have wondered from time to time. While it's fairly inarguable that piracy has hurt the Western Licensors' business, does it have that much of an impact on the Japanese companies? I know that I regularly see articles of someone in Japan being arrested for uploading One Piece episodes or whatever, but usually when piracy is discussed, it's usually in the context of the United States or other countries that aren't Japan. Has piracy really hurt the Japanese companies as much as the Western ones?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
This is a serious question Ryan; I am not trying to be a jerk. I understand you position on why importing contributes way more to the anime industry, but what about the fact that most Japanese anime products are not even English subtitled.

If you understand Japanese, that works. But what about those, like me, who do not understand Japanese. I am not scared of Japanese prices, but I still want at least subtitles.

Piracy and supporting the industry can go hand in hand if you let it. I import Japanese manga (which, ironically enough, despite being more beneficial to the creators, is also far cheaper than US manga) Then I just read scanlations online. I suppose that does no good if you like reading the books themselves, but I watch and read everything on the computer these days so it's fine for me.

(As a side note: one thing I love about Japanese manga is they tend to come in dust-jackets. I love the look and feel of the books in them, and never really liked how US manga never really had those. It just feels more sleek and stylish. Not sure why US companies never adopted that practice.)
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

I'm not worried about the Western companies since I don't buy their bare bone releases. I feel if you really love a series, you should import it from Japan so your sale actually means something AND you get a far better package. If the Western companies died out, I would mean little to me except it might be nice to see less haters of recent anime on forums, due to less people getting interested in anime over here except for the ones who import or use fansubs. Most people who do these things generally tend to be the ones who like the current state of anime.

Christ. You'd be OK with an entire industry dying out and hundreds of people losing their jobs because it would somehow lead to this utopia of all anime fans agreeing with your personal taste.

Ridiculous.

This really surprises you how zac?? most fans are in this state of mind now =_=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For example, Japanese versions of American networks, like Cartoon Network, refers to their programs are "cartoons" not "anime".

Can't find any source for that. Apart from them having "cartoon" in their name, on their official homepage they're talking about "anime". "we are an anime-only channel", "you can see the world's anime here", "super popular anime series Thomas the Tank Engine and Powerpuff Girls", "anime crossing borders" etc.
As a matter of fact, in Japanese I have never ever heard anything but the word "anime" being used to refer to any tv series / movie that is animated. If any other term is used it seems pretty rare. And imho it's just fine that way, spares you discussions like this.

Last edited by maaya on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I import Japanese manga (which, ironically enough, despite being more beneficial to the creators, is also far cheaper than US manga)

Not really. The cheapest they get is 600 yen. At the current exchange rate, comes out to about $7.50. It's not difficult to get most manga at around that price. Now add in shipping, and you're probably near or at $10, and most English manga can be bought for much cheaper.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Cecil the Dark Knight 234 wrote:
Quote:
most fans are in this state of mind now

According to whom?? Please cite your source for this statistic. You, Ryan and a handful of like minded friends do not constitute "most fans".
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:
Probably going to spend Halloween rereading/catching up on Dorohedoro

RyanSaotome wrote:
I'll never get why people get offended over people calling anime "Cartoons". Anime is just Japanese for cartoon anyway, and they call American cartoons anime as well. It could actually be argued that calling it "Anime" is just being a Japanophile, since its still a cartoon, you're just using a Japanese specific word.

But anime is a french word.

No it isn't, it's an abbreviation of how the Japanese say the word animation. Japanese tend to abbreviate foreign words to their first three syllables. Examples:
basketball = basukettobaru = ba-su-ke
toilet = toiretto = to-i-re
animation = animeshon = a-ni-me
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Can't find any source for that. Apart from them having "cartoon" in their name, on their official homepage they're talking about "anime". "we are an anime-only channel", "you can see the world's anime here", "super popular anime series Thomas the Tank Engine and Powerpuff Girls", "anime crossing borders" etc.
As a matter of fact, in Japanese I have never ever heard anything but the word "anime" being used to refer to any tv series / movie that is animated. If any other term is used it seems pretty rare. And imho it's just fine that way, spares you discussions like this.

Who is 'them', exactly? If you mean Cartoon Network Japan then they also air anime in addition to American cartoons, so that would be why they speak in a general sense. The term cartoon can generally be used to describe western stuff, though. One of the first results on Google I got was the Japanese wikipedia page for "cartoon". Which describes it as "A modern definition of the term cartoon indicates a children's animation focused on humor from the United States or Europe". I also see it used on blogs and art sites to categorize their work. Maybe it's not super wide spread, but it's there, but like I said, most Japanese aren't going to care enough to push it or anything like American anime fans have with their hobby.

I suppose it's also worth mentioning the term Amecomi is used for American comics. It's where DC got the name for their line of anime-esque figures and comics. They do differentiate between American comics and cartoons in Japan, but it's just not widespread enough like anime fans in the west have done for it to be 'the widespread norm' as it is for anime and manga here. So for the few fans that do exist for western stuff in Japan, they do make that distinction.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Not really. The cheapest they get is 600 yen. At the current exchange rate, comes out to about $7.50. It's not difficult to get most manga at around that price. Now add in shipping, and you're probably near or at $10, and most English manga can be bought for much cheaper.

I find them for around 400-450 yen each. Most American manga I see are in the 9.99 range, or higher if they're Dark Horse or something.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

HitokiriShadow wrote:

I find them for around 400-450 yen each. Most American manga I see are in the 9.99 range, or higher if they're Dark Horse or something.

If you buy during Rightstuf sales (which I normall do) I almost NEVER buy volumes over $9. It's usually $6-8 per, that I purchase them at. All depends on the company.
Dust jackets like you mentioned, are nice. Only some light novels seem to get that treatment (and often with hardcovers). Some European localizers put dust jackets on their releases too! But of course here, those extra resources would bump up the price a bit... I'm more for keeping the price down, myself.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Christ. You'd be OK with an entire industry dying out and hundreds of people losing their jobs because it would somehow lead to this utopia of all anime fans agreeing with your personal taste.

Ridiculous.

Well what has the industry done to placate the fans into their corner?

Suing them, doing DMCA takedowns, NO IMPORT FOR YOU!, high MSRP, and pulling out has done little to gain fans.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Suing them, doing DMCA takedowns, NO IMPORT FOR YOU!, high MSRP, and pulling out has done little to gain fans.

You got to be joking on high MSRP?! We pay much less for our anime then Japan does. It's the whole reason Blu-rays either take forever or don't come. They are afraid of reverse importation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
I'm not worried about the Western companies since I don't buy their bare bone releases. I feel if you really love a series, you should import it from Japan so your sale actually means something AND you get a far better package. If the Western companies died out, I would mean little to me except it might be nice to see less haters of recent anime on forums, due to less people getting interested in anime over here except for the ones who import or use fansubs. Most people who do these things generally tend to be the ones who like the current state of anime.

This is a serious question Ryan; I am not trying to be a jerk. I understand you position on why importing contributes way more to the anime industry, but what about the fact that most Japanese anime products are not even English subtitled.

If you understand Japanese, that works. But what about those, like me, who do not understand Japanese. I am not scared of Japanese prices, but I still want at least subtitles.

I don't rewatch anime, its more about supporting the anime I like and having it as part of my collection. I don't really mind if theres no dub or subtitles on it because of that... And if I really needed to watch it again, I could always just play the BD on my PC and add a .ass file to it.

I'm pretty sure that takes away a significant amount of the convenience of buying a show on disc. Pop it in and it's good to go. You're asking someone to add extra files from a fansub onto something. That is a rather unnecessary step when the norm is to have some sort of translation on the disc. It would also require retaining said files indefinitely on the chance that at some point down the line, they wanted to rewatch something. If importing and never watching a disc is fine for you, that is fine, but I'm certainly not in favor of a significantly more expensive product (both base price and shipping), that is less convenient, and takes away the jobs of people that have worked for years to bring these shows outside Japan.
SecretJustin1130

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Zac wrote:

Ridiculous.

Well what has the industry done to placate the fans into their corner?

NO. I agree with Zac the fact that your OK with no US industry is ridiculous. People like you are INSENSITIVE JERKS.

Do you people ever care for anyone other then yourselves!?
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Who is 'them', exactly? If you mean Cartoon Network Japan then they also air anime in addition to American cartoons, so that would be why they speak in a general sense.

You said "Japanese versions of American networks, like Cartoon Network, refers to their programs are "cartoons" not "anime"." And that I can't find a source for. They use "anime" for all of their shows and to differentiate they use "foreign anime". Which is also the most common way if you want to underline the fact that a certain "anime" is not from Japan (given that "anime" is a foreign word to begin with, using it for any kind of animated work makes a lot of sense as well).

The word "cartoon" (as used by artists on pixiv f.ex.) seems to refer much more to a certain art style rather than the origin of a work.

Anyway, it's kind of a pointless debate, that gets repeated over and over, so I'll just leave it at that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16