• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Zac Efron: Death Note Remake 'Not on the Front Burner'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:36 am Reply with quote
Sirenlove wrote:
Wasn't Zac Efron up for a live action Full Metal Panic too? Are studios picking him because he's comes with manga hair?! Really I haven't seen him be 'good' in anything but on the other hand starring him may open anime/manga to a new audience.
I say it's because he's tweeny bopper eye candy. a remake of a preexisting live action film to me sounds like a really bad idea especially since the first live action death note movie is good enough as is. also isn't it a bit late since the hype (and the idiots) over death note is slowly starting to die down, after all I'm sure no one wants to see more articles of stupid kids writing out death threats in death note replicas (which from a collectors stand point is rather dumb). I'd have to agree with ~nanashi~ the first death note movie is fine theirs no need to remake it
jqsilver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:37 am Reply with quote
I wonder if maybe "Zac Efron as Kira" could be one of those "Snakes on a Plane" type memes that make a bad movie moderately successful. Or maybe it's that that's the only way I'd see the movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
dtm: Um, you do know a big chunk of DN's audience is female, right? Otherwise, you wouldn't have stuff like this. NSFW and shonen-ai haters.

Hmm. Perhaps I should have said that the "typical" audience member he would attract to the movie would be a young-ish girl who isn't into Anime and hasn't even heard of Death Note before. Of course, that's not necessarily a Bad Thing, since the movie should be able to stand on its own and not cater just to the pre-existing fans of the franchise. Then again, how will the Efron fangirls react to him being in a (hopefully) dark movie with lots of gruesome murders?

Hmm, maybe I need to think about this some more . . .
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:02 am Reply with quote
I dunno, I'm kind of thinking that Keanu would make a good Light Yagami...
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:36 am Reply with quote
PLEASE NO! Coming from someone who took his little sister to The highschool musical in theaters; PLEASE NO! Shocked
12skippy21

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:35 am Reply with quote
Zac Efron huh?

You know what that means, Death Note: The Musical!

Laughing
Hybridchild

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:52 am Reply with quote
Not the most eloquent of people is he?
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:46 am Reply with quote
While he definitely looks the part, I really don't like the idea. There have already been a plethora of horrible live-action anime adaptations, no need to add another to the mix.
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:52 am Reply with quote
12skippy21 wrote:
You know what that means, Death Note: The Musical!

Speaking as a Death Note fan, I would thoroughly enjoy that idea. It's already a tad melodramatic.
kpk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
Despite all the negativity that surround him after High School Musical, Zac Efron is a good actor. 17 Again and Me and Orson Welles proves it. Beside, he looks the part.

Also...

I really want Joseph Gordon-Levitt to be L and that Rian Johnson (Brick, The Brothers Bloom) will be the director Smile
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
But it was just a first draft, which means it would have gotten even worse by the time it was made.

So true. Anime cry
darksharingan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
Sorry, but Zac Effron is a crappy actor who's movies are nothing but bull-spoof and to bring him into Death Note would destroy its maturity because his main demographic is teenage girls.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:40 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
Despite all the negativity that surround him after High School Musical, Zac Efron is a good actor. 17 Again and Me and Orson Welles proves it. Beside, he looks the part.

Also...

I really want Joseph Gordon-Levitt to be L and that Rian Johnson (Brick, The Brothers Bloom) will be the director Smile

This. I watched 17 Again and found it genuinely appealing. Zac Effron did a pretty good job in this movie and as someone who hates the marketing appeal that was abused with crap like HSM, it was somewhat of a step in a better direction.

It also helped that Thomas Lennon was in it... And Leslie Mann... And Matthew Perry. ...And I think Nicole Sullivan? Or was that someone else... And Jim Gaffigan... And Bryan Boyle Murray. ****, okay it had a lot of other people I liked and while I did enjoy Zac's part, I enjoyed the others more. It wasn't a piece of crap like I thought it would be.

I think he'd do fine as Light but I have a feeling the 'hollywood' effect will give a bad spin on it. The darker storyline will be lost for the sake of a more wider audience grab attempt and Light won't truly be his evil self in the end.

I.E. I think Zac will be held back.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
atunderdogk wrote:
I'm not sure if he could pull off the the entire spectrum of Light

Pun intended? Laughing

But seriously, I don't know how I feel about this. I'd probably still go see it, but I don't hold much stock in teen-idols. It's nice that he'd be enthusiastic about it, but I still feel like casting a teen-idol is like the production selling out before they even get started.
kpk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
kpk wrote:

Also...

but I have a feeling the 'hollywood' effect will give a bad spin on it. The darker storyline will be lost for the sake of a more wider audience grab attempt and Light won't truly be his evil self in the end.

I.E. I think Zac will be held back.

You're not in-tack. This days in Hollywood, Drak sells the most.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4