• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Zac Efron: Death Note Remake 'Not on the Front Burner'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit Zac sucked in High School Musical but I recently saw him in 17 again and he wasn't half bad. I don't think we should hold HSM against him because it made his career.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
12skippy:
Quote:
You know what that means, Death Note: The Musical!

If Tim Burton, or those writers on the Simpsons who came up with that Planet of the Apes gag, directed, I'd be game. Laughing

kpk: Levitt does not look like L whatsoever. He'd work as Near or Mello, though. Or that bumbling cop who accompanies Light.

dark: Um, again, DN's main demo is also teenage girls. And you should give Orson Welles a chance before you give up on him entirely.

Julia:
Quote:
I'd probably still go see it, but I don't hold much stock in teen-idols.
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
So....something that started out as a silly joke may actually become reality?

My goodness lol.
I really don't mind if he takes the role or not. It could be the major turning point in his career. He can either make it, or break it.
I'm anxious to see what becomes of this later on in the future.
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
After a cursory read of the "script" summary, I must conclude that I am disappointed.

spoiler[No Ryuk? I think that's a big mistake. ]
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:
Sorry, but Zac Effron is a crappy actor who's movies are nothing but bull-spoof and to bring him into Death Note would destroy its maturity because his main demographic is teenage girls.

"Maturity"? In Death Note? Where? Razz

Honestly, I'd love to see this happen, just to revel in the combined wangsting of thousands of fanboys/girls. Hell, for all I know, Efron really could pull off the role.
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I vote ANN Zac to be casted in the movie instead of Zac Efron. It would be the best parody of any manga-based franchise ever.
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
Sirenlove wrote:
Wasn't Zac Efron up for a live action Full Metal Panic too? Are studios picking him because he's comes with manga hair?! Really I haven't seen him be 'good' in anything but on the other hand starring him may open anime/manga to a new audience.
I say it's because he's tweeny bopper eye candy. a remake of a preexisting live action film to me sounds like a really bad idea especially since the first live action death note movie is good enough as is. also isn't it a bit late since the hype (and the idiots) over death note is slowly starting to die down, after all I'm sure no one wants to see more articles of stupid kids writing out death threats in death note replicas (which from a collectors stand point is rather dumb). I'd have to agree with ~nanashi~ the first death note movie is fine theirs no need to remake it

I actually didn't like who they cast as Light in the live action. I thought he was too old for the part.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Then again, how will the Efron fangirls react to him being in a (hopefully) dark movie with lots of gruesome murders?

Hmm, maybe I need to think about this some more . . .

Either that, or some creative licence will be applied in the script to prevent such a silver lining appearing. Not being a Death Note fan, this is no skin off my back; there are other things in the pipeline for me to be concerned about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
noriko-takaya

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Sirenlove wrote:
I actually didn't like who they cast as Light in the live action. I thought he was too old for the part.

Tatsuya Fujiwara was about the right age to play the part he did in the movie. In real life he was only 24 when the film was made and he was playing a college student, not a high school student as portrayed in the anime.
DCunited812

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Hey If Zack Efron is Light maybe Misa could be Vanessa Hudgens, and Corbin Bleu called be L. YEA! Lets get the whole crew involved! Razz ( i'm being sarcastic if you didn't notice)
J. Kudo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
ANBUx3 wrote:
After a cursory read of the "script" summary, I must conclude that I am disappointed.

spoiler[No Ryuk? I think that's a big mistake. ]

I'd rather have that than a Ryuk who is completely different than how he was in the manga/movies/anime. Surprised

But you know, I'm more pissed about Light being turned into spoiler["Luke".]

That's two strikes against the movie. One more and I ain't watchin' it! Mad (Not that I was even planning on doing so in the first place Razz )
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Sweet. Can't wait to see him spoiler[get killed at the end.] Smile
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
LiuXuande wrote:
I vote ANN Zac to be casted in the movie instead of Zac Efron. It would be the best parody of any manga-based franchise ever.

I second this suggestion! And Justin Sevakis can be L.

Seriously though, I don't know, I'm behind in all these rumors so I didn't know a DN movie was really a consideration by anyone in Hollywood. The idea is interesting, and considering that's all it seems to be at the moment, I reckon I'll wait and see. I haven't seen a lot of Zac Efron's work, but I wouldn't count him out just because of teen idolhood.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
It is vital that this movie be made. It has the potential to reach a new level of awfulness that will surpass anything ever made. The trailer will go as follows:

Coming this Fall: Zac Efron is Light Yagami. A super genius high school student who is also inexplicably man-pretty. But Light has more to worry about than just getting to class on time, and getting the shy, plain looking Misa played by [insert ridiculously hot teen actress wearing plain clothes here] to fall for him. For Light hides a dangerous secret. He is Kira! Armed with a magic notebook that kills anyone who's name is written in it (or...you know...like...whatever. This part isn't really that important) he embarks on a mission that is totally not douchey at all to kill criminals whilst being inexplicably man-pretty. But what will happen when genius detective L who is also inexplicably man-pretty (played by Robert Pattisson/Patteson/Pa..Paterson?...that talking corpse from Twilight) gets on the case? Things get crazy and let me stress again that the characters are totally NOT douchebags. Things get 'romantic' and oh, did we mention that there might be a vampire? Yeah...totally! Oh man, maybe like...he could kill people because he's a vampire cause all that note shit is stupid. Then he fights some werewolves and they all take of their shirts. Oh yeah...Aren't you getting feelings in your tweenage lady parts just thinking about it?
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote
So let me get this straight: A lot of people posting here b**** about anime not being more mainstream, yet when one of the hottest actors of the moment expresses interest in making a live-action, Hollywood-budget adaptation of one of the most popular anime in America, these same people rag on it without knowing any more than, "ZOMG, Zac Efron wants to be Light Yagami!!!111"

I'd like to see this just to watch Efron shake off that goody-goody image and play someone dark.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4