• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Diabolical Ruh-minations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
AWO:
Quote:
Excuse me, but what the [EXPLETIVE DELETED] are you talking about? Millennium Actress is my favorite Satoshi Kon movie and I LOVE Paranoia Agent.

Ah, I see. So you didn't say you hated that hairy middle-aged fan?

Quote:
I've owned a copy of Stray Dog for years and like it so much I steal its ideas and pretend I came up with them myself!

You're not the only one, it seems. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by GATSU on Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I was only half listening to the show and then I heard Den-noh Coil get mentioned and had to rewind to hear how that happened. I've seen all of it (and love it to death) so I don't think it's "hard sci-fi" since it's set in the near future and the technology is mainly limited to the glasses everyone wears which lets them see a sort of cyber-reality all around them (wish my glasses did that). But I definetly got a cyber-punk feel from it, maybe you guys should review it here so it gets at least a little more exposure. [/vainhopeofitevergettinglicensed]

And I remember a show coming out back in 2008 called Real Drive which seemed to be a sci-fi show, but I only saw the first episode two years ago and barely heard anything since so I could be off on that.

Lol, almost didn't get Heat Guy J in this week, nice save Zac.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
All you need to know about Evangelion is this, it stars two hot girls in what amounts to latex outfirs, has a movie in which Rei appears giant and naked, and it tells me not to be a shut in and masturbate. Then it tells me to buy 100 figures of Rei and Asuka in latex outfits.

Also Anno made RE: Cutie Honey.

It's like Micheal Bay telling me that movies shouldn't just be a bunch of fight scenes, and explosions.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
All you need to know about Evangelion is this, it stars two hot girls in what amounts to latex outfirs, has a movie in which Rei appears giant and naked, and it tells me not to be a shut in and masturbate. Then it tells me to buy 100 figures of Rei and Asuka in latex outfits.

Also Anno made RE: Cutie Honey.

It's like Micheal Bay telling me that movies shouldn't just be a bunch of fight scenes, and explosions.

He also married Moyoco Anno, whose Happy Mania is just as messed up. I always love how Eva's about not being a shutin/wierdo, but it's in some way responsible for making many a japanese otaku one. The Rei/Asuka bedsheets are like Anno's chilling laughter being with you always.

[also, plesantly surprised by how generally calm the talk as been about the podcast. Have to go back to catch the Oishi stuff myself, though glad to hear Ruh is doing a column for ANN]
G-2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I just have a feeling that we're sitting in water, and the anime industry is going up in flames very slowly. By the time we start realizing that the anime is declining, it will be too late because the water boiled before we realized it. Sad

On a brighter note, Durarara!! Very Happy
flcl573

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:23 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
flcl573 wrote:
Mayoi Neko Overrun is supposed to be satire of the degradation of the genre, and in that respect, it is a work of genius. None of the critics here realized this. That is all.

Then not only did it fool the critics, it seems to have fooled just about all those who enjoyed it as well. When satire is indistinguishable from the object of satire, it ceases to be satire.

You're looking at two extreme groups: the critics, who will immediately go "moe, bad" and the dumb fanbase that will go "moe, awesome". There is a middle ground!

edit: oh, and The Sky Crawlers is the best thing Oshii's ever done.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:07 am Reply with quote
flcl573 wrote:
edit: oh, and The Sky Crawlers is the best thing Oshii's ever done.

What else have you seen to back up your claim?
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:57 am Reply with quote
I was watching the clock count down and then.....HEAT GUY J! Whew.....that was close Zac! Smile

I can't see streaming having any real success until piracy is brought under control. If Crunchy or FUNI removes free anime the entitlement crowd will just turn to torrent sites.
braves

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear someone else give praise to Imaishi. I think I like him more as an animator, but Gurren Lagann and Dead Leaves are still among my favorites.

From the Oshii stuff I've seen, I like The Sky Crawlers the best. The lack of acting, so to speak, that was present throughout the film really impressed me. Even though it's still pretty slow, I found it to be least ponderous and inaccessible of Oshii's films. I watched Patlabor 2 recently and I might like it more and more with subsequent viewings. The conditions that it was made under and the issues of the time that it was addressing went completely over my head, so I need to keep those things in mind when I rewatch it.

As for Hosoda, if you liked his previous 2 films then you should also watch the first two Digimon movies which were directed by him. Hosoda also directed quite a few OPs (Samurai Champloo, Alice SOS, Spiral) and I believe those are worth watching if you want to see more of his stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Delpheno

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Heat Guy J... LOL!
venka21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:23 am Reply with quote
I'm interested in this is anime academia section.

I've been working on a project myself that called "United Nation of Otaku" which I'm hoping to make into a collection of Observations from Otaku of all types (including non-fans) about the anime, manga, and the anime fan culture. Anime academia like writings are some of the stuff I am hoping to have as part of my project.

Such topics as Hell Girl and Human Nature

Finding God in Naruto

Comparing and contrasting Light's actions to Hitler and Stallin

Or maybe viewing Deathnote from a Jungian or a Froidian point of view.

I hope Brian Ruh's new section will provide some interesting views into anime and Manga.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:31 am Reply with quote
venka21 wrote:

Finding God in Naruto

i'd be more interested if you could find anything of merit in Naruto Cool

but in all seriousness you be hard pressed to find any anime worthy of such discussions (excluding of course the big directors like Miyazaki [his older stuff], Osshi or Satoshi Kon) and the only longer style anime/manga i can think of of any merit would be Berserk and even then only the manga.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
venka21 wrote:

Comparing and contrasting Light's actions to Hitler and Stallin

Or maybe viewing Deathnote from a Jungian or a Froidian point of view.

You have to be really careful with how you approach that. It could easily turn into someone saying "you're taking it too seriously".
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:00 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm gonna agree with KanjiiZ here. Unless somewhere down the road the Death Note Manga and Anime inspire some kind of religion or autonomous nation; it'll be hard to write about that in a serious, academic manner without the "Your taking it too seriously" comment coming up. You're actually better off writing about the creator of the series, Tsugumi Ooba, rather then the series itself. Even then that topic would only work if Tsugumi Ooba continued to create series of that type which you can then comment on the overall messages he was trying to send with his' mangas and stories. But he doesn't follow that trend, I believe, with his new manga, Bakuman. Or "she" and "her" I don't know if its a guy or girl.

Also, I am curious how you even came across the idea of "Finding God in Naruto". Is there some strong Christian overtones I'm not seeing here? Or is derived from the point of view that all of the people in Naruto are godless people who would better benefit from having him in their lives? Honestly, "What?..." I think you might be digging too much again.
venka21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, I'm gonna agree with KanjiiZ here. Unless somewhere down the road the Death Note Manga and Anime inspire some kind of religion or autonomous nation; it'll be hard to write about that in a serious, academic manner without the "Your taking it too seriously" comment coming up.

I used comparisons between Deathnote story and the Third Riche as an example. I didn't say that was definitive essay.
The "United Nation of Otaku" Project is ment as a collection of Rants, Photos, Poetry, essays, fan art and such done by actual Otaku and Anime Fans of all varieties based of their own observations.

I know the title of this project does sound like it is bias towards Anime and Manga. However I look for aspects on both sides of the coin Otaku and non-fans alike.

For example if I could say write essay about the religious and psychological aspects of Evangelian and that would be of my own observations. However I would also welcome essays from the point of view of someone else who views all the religious and psychological aspects as padding that has no real significance to the story.

Quote:
You're actually better off writing about the creator of the series, Tsugumi Ooba, rather then the series itself. Even then that topic would only work if Tsugumi Ooba continued to create series of that type which you can then comment on the overall messages he was trying to send with his' mangas and stories. But he doesn't follow that trend, I believe, with his new manga, Bakuman. Or "she" and "her" I don't know if its a guy or girl.

I don't expect all the stuff submitted to the project to be academic essays. Many of the suggested topics in each of the ten sections of my project are generic such as in-depth character studies of anime characters, Anime Vs. Cartoons, New popular anime vs. Old-School classics, personal views on the work of such and such Mangaka or animation company, Sub vs. Dub, ect.

So really the academic essays aren't required or essential, however if someone felt they could do something such as the political aspects of the Gundam Series including the knowledge and facts to back it up. Then by all means, I would love to see what they had to say.

Quote:
Also, I am curious how you even came across the idea of "Finding God in Naruto". Is there some strong Christian overtones I'm not seeing here? Or is derived from the point of view that all of the people in Naruto are godless people who would better benefit from having him in their lives? Honestly, "What?..." I think you might be digging too much again.

Again "Finding God in Naruto" was just an example of an essay that a person could write. I’m from a religious house hold, but I’m personally not a religious person. However I have seen and glanced through books that discussed the Christian overtones found in Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and Harry Potter. Chronicles of Narnia and Lord of the Rings are a bit of a given since it is no big secret there are religious overtones in both of those stories. Star Wars is a little questionable, but certainly plausible. Harry Potter on the other hand surprised me since J.K. Rawling herself had stated that she believed in god but was doubtful as to whether god truly existed. Maybe Naruto was the wrong anime to use as an example. Maybe Bleach would be more plausible, but again it depend how one observes the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6