• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf's Junjō Romantica, Viz's Cross Game Previewed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:30 am Reply with quote
AnimeFanGirlForever wrote:
I personally wouldve loved to see a dub but the subs are good too. Did everyone forget that Gravitation was dubbed by Right Stuf so that's one BL anime that was dubbed. I hope Antique Bakery gets a dub.
Actually I did forget about Gravi. Though that series was no where near as BL-tastic as JR is-- to me, Gravi was more about Shuichi's efforts to make it in the music industry while incidentally having a boyfriend, whereas JR's focus is pretty much the 3 couples' relationships and their ups & downs and has many more, uh, "intimate" scenes (though no, there's nothing hentai-level in JR, it's definitely more explicit than Gravi ever was).

The other thing is that, as CCSYueh mentioned, a lot of male seiyuu have this BL thing down pat (again, having done many, many drama CDs) and could probably do it in their sleep and still sound good-- I'll admit, this may be in part because it's a foreign language to me, though Japanese fans seem to like them pretty well too so I don't think it's a coincidence. But the idea of some of these lines coming out of... (trying to think of an English VA... still trying) ...Johnny Yong Bosch, say, sort of makes me laugh frankly and I think I would find it rather distracting. But maybe that's just me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:36 am Reply with quote
That's right. Gravi did have a dub. My daughter listened for 5 minutes & insisted we never listen to it again, so I really don't know what it sounds like in English. You have to admit that was not exactly a drippy romantic title like Embracing Love. My god, one has to be impressed those Japanese VA's can get thru this stuff so very well.
Realistically considering they dub it line-by-line in a booth English VA's should be able to pull it off, but I just can't say I have any faith they can nor any desire to hear them try. You do realize it would likely add to the cost. Gravi came out in a different day & age when dvds were released individually at a cost of $30 for 4-6 episodes. All 6 Gravi dvds could potentially have run about $200 if one bought the box+dvd. I know damned well because I pre-ordered every single dvd as soon as TRSI posted it for sale which meant I have all those little "backstage passes" freebies they included with the dvds for that cost, but even at the pre-order price, I paid decidedly more than the later boxed set prices. (at least $18 per dvd & I'm thinking it was probably $22, but I'd have to check)
So you're saying you would be willing to pay the old box set prices? I bought Trigun for $125 back then because it went for $200. ADV boxes usually ran over $100. $150 wasn't an unusual price & of course this was after waiting a year or 2 for the collected box. All 4 seasons of Saiyuki, both seasons of Kyo Kara Maoh, CardCaptor Sakura, Sailor Moon, Wedding Peach...I don't even want to think how much I have invested in the anime series I bought as single dvds, but the point is the market has shifted.
Funi can pull off dubbing everything because they have their own studio outside the acting hub of Hollywood or New York & they are the Walmart of anime licensees-they are the big gun buying a lot of titles so one can imaging they are getting a pretty good price on their licenses. On the other hand, Funi hasn't really shown a whole lot of interest in BL.
Do you want their scriptwriters to have at BL? I can tell you, they play a bit fast & loose with scripts (I still want to know why, when a character is speaking English in the Japanese dub they see fit to change the line in the subtitle & the dub.
Viz doesn't seem all that open to BL so I don't see them buying & dubbing it.
Bandai has scaled back so far & basically does Gundam & a handful of similar sci-fi/mech/whatever, so they don't seem likely. If they DID license BL, you'd see the release rescheduled 10 times & it still might be sub-only.
MB we know does BL sub-only. They have recently dubbed a few originally sub sets, but the stuff they dubbed aims at the male audience, so I don't see them dubbing BL.
TRSI doesn't dub very much any more.
Sentai doesn't dub, but they are bringing us some of the shojo we counted on Geneon for.
Geneon was a gal's best bet in the day for dubs. Fushigi Yugi, Kyo Kara Maoh, Shonen Onmyoji, Saiunkoku, Saiyuki Reload & Gunlock--but everyone hated them as one of the more expensive companies that offered few extras. They were the $200 box set people.
So really, yeah, buy the gal stuff you like in the hope they will license more. I was less interested in Haruka than I am in the Angelique franchise, but I bought it because I hoped Bandai Visual might get around to bringing us Angelique or some other harem titles.
I fully plan on going for Kuroshitsuji no matter if it's dubbed or not (& I expect dubbed) just to show Funi we gals do buy titles enough to warrant their licensing stuff (maybe they'll look into the Saiyuki OVA or the KKM 3rd season?) I know they've had some failures (Kodocha, but that one was so old when they picked it up, most of the enthusiasm had died)
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFanGirlForever wrote:

I personally wouldve loved to see a dub but the subs are good too. Did everyone forget that Gravitation was dubbed by Right Stuf so that's one BL anime that was dubbed. I hope Antique Bakery gets a dub.

Except the Gravitation dub was absolutely horrific. If anything, I'm kinda glad Romantica's going to be subbed only.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't like subs unless they're the only way to watch something. This'll be my first subbed only purchase. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2