• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Biglobe Poll: Most Anticipated Winter 2013 Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:11 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Why are Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men the most popular shows out there

Bad taste?

There is no such a thing as bad taste. Different people like different things. There is no right or wrong. Those are only judgments about different viewpoints that may be chosen to experience separation in another way. Something was there was right 800 year's ago, now it becomes illegal.(like Incest).

In European society, arranged marriages were consider normal until maybe 1800, now the western society think arranged marriages are wrong. lol
koalabear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:20 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
dan9999 wrote:
So the shows you like are nothing but moe, everything its tailored to put emphasis on moe (character designs, art style, animation, story if any, etc), story? who cares. Character development? who cares. Execution/writing? who cares, lets have cute little girls be as moe as possible and do lots of cute things to make you die of cuteness!!!

You don't actually watch the shows you complain about do you....

I'm a koala-bear and i approve this message
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Why are Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men the most popular shows out there

Bad taste?

There is no such a thing as bad taste. Different people like different things. There is no right or wrong. Those are only judgments about different viewpoints that may be chosen to experience separation in another way. Something was there was right 800 year's ago, now it becomes illegal.(like Incest).

In European society, arranged marriages were consider normal until maybe 1800, now the western society think arranged marriages are wrong. lol

[Mod Edit: Removed. Provide more than just insults towards other users or don't post. - Keonyn]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kazziyan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
dan9999 wrote:
So the shows you like are nothing but moe, everything its tailored to put emphasis on moe (character designs, art style, animation, story if any, etc), story? who cares. Character development? who cares. Execution/writing? who cares, lets have cute little girls be as moe as possible and do lots of cute things to make you die of cuteness!!!

You don't actually watch the shows you complain about do you....

I find it hilarious that somehow, because it focuses on moe, it has no story nor any character development.

It just seems to me he doesn't pay attention if he watches any of them. But I feel he just writes them off as soon as some cute character comes by. lol

Should judge under the right circumstances. But I also feel you have the wrong perception of 'moe'.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote
kazziyan wrote:
I find it hilarious that somehow, because it focuses on moe, it has no story nor any character development.

I am not a fan of moe in general. I do not hate it, but I easily get tired of it. The big exception to me is K-On. I like this show because of the adorable personalities of the characters. However, I agree that K-On has a shallow story and little character development.

If you like moe a lot, I do not think there is anything wrong with admitting that other than cuteness, these kind of shows tend to have mediocre or non existent stories with not much character development. I admit that K-On is not Tolstoy, but I still like it.
kazziyan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:59 am Reply with quote
That's understandable. I'm glad you expanded on it. I find how the negative perception of "moe" and such posts like that a part of a larger problem. But I'm not going to get into that. Just should be judged a bit more appropriately, I guess. I just kind of watch all genre's so I have a good balance and that way I'm kinda blind to the "overload" each season. ;;

Yeah, that's fair since you feel it just doesn't hold up a good enough plot- at least there's a chance given. I kind of just put my self in that perspective and see it for what its made to be. It's definitely no, say, Psycho Pass in depth, but it has likable characters, simplistic/effective/or enjoyable story which I find is good/decent enough. Also, helps balance out something like say... Clannad or Chuunibyou.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:52 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
wrote:
How can anyone anticipate cookie-cutter slice of life shows? If I wanted a slice of life, I'd go live one.

Why are Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men the most popular shows out there when if someone wanted a sitcom, they could just go live one?

Wait, we could go live a sitcom?! Laughing

(Actually, to be fair, my college dorm was really like living a sitcom. But it's hard to sustain that much wackiness throughout life.)

And Big Bang Theory is about us geeks. (Really, just substitute anime/manga equivalents.) I'm surprised it caught on.

angelmcazares wrote:
kazziyan wrote:

I am not a fan of moe in general. I do not hate it, but I easily get tired of it. The big exception to me is K-On. I like this show because of the adorable personalities of the characters. However, I agree that K-On has a shallow story and little character development.

Well, similar thing with sitcom humor. Character development may be stagnant, and stories are more to set up the comedy, but if people like the humor, they'd keep watching it, even if it's a bit overload in my POV.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:46 am Reply with quote
kazziyan wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

moe and echhi, shallow shows.

But that's what they are not, lol. Far from it.

I think what people complain about are repeated character tropes: The tsundere, the shy girl, the little sister character, the glasses girl, the klutzy genki girl, the childhood friend girl, and lately - the mentally ill girl. Etc. Etc. You have to admit that a lot of shows don't really work on developing characters, and just throw all the tropes in for no other reason than they think it will sell because it has sold before.

Trope-ey crap happens a lot in reverse harems, too. Especially shows that adapt otome games. The producers think that they can just make attractive character designs and hire idols or popular voice actors and it will sell itself. Unfortunately, so many of these shows aren't very good, and the characters kind of boring. There's only so much talent to go around, and a lot of shows end up seeming similar to each other (one of the reasons I'm planning to wait-and see on this season's Amnesia. I've been pretty disappointed by otome game adaptations).

Also, there is fanservice. A few women don't mind, but most of the ones I know do. We don't want to watch fanservice shows the same way guys don't want to watch male harems or BL. It is discouraging when so many shows in a season are "cute" girl harems aimed at guys.

Just imagine if all the shows you are planning to watch this season reverse harems with yaoi fanservice. I bet you would be saying:

Quote:
sausagefest and yaoi. shallow shows.
right? Wink
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote
Doubt I'll watch any of the top 5.

gdgd Fairies, huh. Let me guess, the author was dead drunk right before the deadline.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Moe. Moe everywhere. Sigh.

Ones done by KyoAni and SHAFT are pretty much the ones that'll have a better edge visually than the rest so I'd keep an eye on what they do.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
kgw wrote:

Ones done by KyoAni and SHAFT are pretty much the ones that'll have a better edge visually than the rest so I'd keep an eye on what they do.

A-1 typically has better visuals and budget than Shaft, and they're doing 2 of the anime in the top 5 (Vividred and OreShura). They've done some of the best animated shows of the last year like Idolm@ster, Magi and Sword Art Online. A-1 is Aniplex's personal studio after all, so they get plenty of budget for their projects.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:

No surprise there anymore, I had a feeling the top show and five other shows would be moe titles as well. Go figure.

Oh well, that is what seems to sell at today's anime market these days.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:38 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

A-1 typically has better visuals and budget than Shaft, and they're doing 2 of the anime in the top 5 (Vividred and OreShura). They've done some of the best animated shows of the last year like Idolm@ster, Magi and Sword Art Online. A-1 is Aniplex's personal studio after all, so they get plenty of budget for their projects.

Idolm@ster and SAO some of the best of this year. Oh boy, this is absolutely hilarious. Heck, I love Magi, but it's far from what I'd call "the best of this year"

tuxedocat wrote:

Also, there is fanservice. A few women don't mind, but most of the ones I know do. We don't want to watch fanservice shows the same way guys don't want to watch male harems or BL. It is discouraging when so many shows in a season are "cute" girl harems aimed at guys.

There are deeper reasons for my dislike for fanservice, but all in all I have to agree. I've seen shows were it's done nicely, without excesiveness and keeping the fun like Binbougami ga and Tasogare Otome x Amnesia, but there are other shows that make me critically sick. I'm currently watching season 2 of Horizon, and while I enjoy the senseless fun, I just can't deal with those.huge.racks. My back hurts just thinking of it. And why must they bounce everywhere?! There are scenes where it becomes painful to watch due to the ridiculousness.

So yeah, this winter season is pretty boring to my eyes, I just see harem animes and cutesy girl animes and probably a paloozza of animes with bouncing boobs everywhere. I'm glad I picked mostly two-cours during fall season, that'll leave few spots in my schedule to fill in this yawn-season.
j123ready

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:01 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

There are deeper reasons for my dislike for fanservice, but all in all I have to agree. I've seen shows were it's done nicely, without excesiveness and keeping the fun like Binbougami ga and Tasogare Otome x Amnesia, but there are other shows that make me critically sick. I'm currently watching season 2 of Horizon, and while I enjoy the senseless fun, I just can't deal with those.huge.racks. My back hurts just thinking of it. And why must they bounce everywhere?! There are scenes where it becomes painful to watch due to the ridiculousness.

lol watching 2d girls has never made my back hurt. Razz
To be critically sick from watching fanservice seems a bit impossible. I'm guessing that was an exaggeration.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:26 am Reply with quote
j123ready wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

lol watching 2d girls has never made my back hurt. Razz
To be critically sick from watching fanservice seems a bit impossible. I'm guessing that was an exaggeration.

Yeah, I admit I was exaggerating. I just marathoned the first 8 episodes of season 2 less than 3 hours ago, so the impression is very fresh -spoiler[especially since there are at least two extended bath scenes in those episodes, with naked girls' balloonic boobs bouncing everywhere. Plus Masazumi]. It is simply beyond my understanding why would any man find such absurd balloons "desirable". They do make me sick and annoyed to some extent. Or why would any girl want to have such a rack, I can only imagine it being nothing but a hassle. Like a pregnant woman's belly, but permanent. Quoting from another thread

AngelicSakuko wrote:

I almost feel a bit sorry for male anime/manga artists - when they go out into the real world for an actual date and they realise 98% of the female population doesn't have a 20-inch waist with FF cups.

Except that I don't quite feel sorry for them, but I'm not going to rise my thought on why I think the Anime obsession for huge boobs is so wrong because I think it goes too out of topic
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6