• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Anime Nominated for Golden Globes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:04 am Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
And just as I mentioned above, because they're family-fare films doesn't mean they can't be good. Our club is perfectly fine watching Pokemon or magical girl films and other so-called children's anime. Can be good or can be bad, but the fun is in the journey of watching 'em. We all have a kid in us no matter the age.

Are these the same children's anime where you have pedophiles, lesbian couples, and on screen blood, death, and murder? Laughing Seems like Japanese kids anime would be aimed at a teenage or adult audiences here. Especially those in the One Piece range of violence and sexual content. Wink I' guessing those offer more interest to older audiences than a family comedy movie.

Here, I'll make it even more specific: just because they're family-fare films/anime in America doesn't mean they can't be good. And yes, we enjoy them. It's not necessary that something "has to offer more interest to older audiences" for us to enjoy them just fine as they are. A family-fare show doesn't need to be pretentious to be enjoyable too.

(Heck, in our club sometimes we use Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics as time-filler. Even those who've never seen it before enjoy it. Laughing )

lostrune wrote:

Quote:
Generally though definitely needs more variety in NA animation films, especially disconcerting when it's existing side-by-side with NA live-action industries which have great variety, even more so than anime.

Live-action has more vairety than animation? Quite a bold claim there given you don't exactly see those Pokemon or magical girl films coming out in live-action regularly even in Japan Laughing

Not bold at all. Just because ya don't see a few things here and there that's in anime but not in live-action doesn't mean anything. Heck I could turn it around: do you see shows such as cop dramas like CSI or silly stuff like Mythbusters or high school musicals like Glee or cooking or documentaries in anime? That nitpicking doesn't mean anything neither.

Rather, here are 3 quick reasons which provide NA live-action more variety:

1. It's easier to film in live-action. All ya need are actors, locations, and scripts (sometimes, not even) and you're good to go. Animation needs --first and foremost-- animators who are harder-to-find specialized workers, equipment, and a lot of time - ya have to make many things from scratch.

2. NA live-action is simply big, and I mean, BIG. And I'm not just talking about Hollywood. That means a whole lot of people involved. The more people involved, the more minds involved - and out of all those different minds are all these different ideas. If they can think it, they can film it, also given the aforementioned easier to film in live-action than to animate.

3. The receiving audience of NA live-action projects is more expansive geographically and socially. Much NA live-action projects are made with an eye to cross over borders, go beyond N. America, and reach all types of demographics (for ex: it's not merely either/or kids or otaku/geeks but also tweens, teens, salarymen, jocks, housewives, etc). So in effect, they're "catering" to more than a country's or a few demographics' tastes - what may not fly in Peoria, Illinois may instead catch-on in, say, France (like Jerry Lewis did). Many Latino shows are filmed in America for consumption abroad in Latino countries.

And here's one last practical exercise how big NA live-action really is: our cable/satellite service has hundreds of channels that can be filled by a variety of live-action shows. Can't do that with just anime or animation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3