• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Malaysia Censorship Board Chair Speaks on Anime Bans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
muhdnurhidayat

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:16 am Reply with quote
This article is quite old, but let me share something with you guys.

This problems was actually arised from the distributors themselves, when they submit the anime for review by the censorship board, many of them submit it to get certificate of U (suitable for all ages, doesn't need parental guidance) and there's where things go wrong. The censorship board would ask them to censor certain parts to comply with certificate that these stupid distributors trying to get, and the results is crappy censored anime. Some of them submit obviously not for kids anime to get certificate of P13 (parental guidance needed for kids under 13 years old) and things go wrong too (as they're not meant for kids on the first place).

The censorship board this article is writing is most probably reffering to the "Film Censorship Board" (Lembaga Penapisan Filem) which is responsible for any videography releases, be it TV broadcast, movies in cinema, online video distributions, DVDs, Blurays and others. However, we also has another censorship board which regulates on books, and one of the staffs in the largest local comic house, Kadokawa Gempak Starz Sdn Bhd (Gempak Starz) stated that "the (book) censorship board was previously not allowing us to release horror and gore comics, however censorship board has revised and allow it with a new rule, it must clearly stated that the books are only for readers above 18 years old" and thus we're seeing many gore comics (which are usually R-17 in Japan) released as 18 in Malaysia, where it would otherwise be banned.

In the recent years, many animes did actually get to Malaysia without being banned, and there are some anime that get a certificate of 18 (for viewers above 18 years old only). Just look at Kizumonogatari III, it was screened under certificate of 18 in Malaysian cinema from 23 March 2017 :

Now answering someone question earlier...
For questions on the DVD. Yes, many of the DVDs here are actually bootlegs, however the staffs working in verification department can't actually tell if it's bootlegs or legitly licensed but these publishing companies have ways to trick them to believe it is legit so that's why these DVDs are on sale publicly. Company that you need to watch out is "Lambaian Filem" which has the "LF" logo. Please don't buy ANY DVDs from Malaysia carrying LF logo. LF is also releasing Korean dramas and Japanese live actions DVD. Most of these DVD will also carries "bonus CD" like soundtracks which is obviously bootlegs. No real company would ever release soundtracks CD together with anime or drama DVD because the copyright procedure is different for them.

As for VBG (another company selling anime DVD), they do have license for their DVDs but they abuse it. Most of the time, they were licensed for certain episodes but they use it for all episodes. For example, they paid for Naruto ep. 1 to 150 but also releases ep. 150 to 300 before requesting the license. They eventually gets the license btw, but it's really unethical to release before getting real license.

Back to legal ones...
The legit distributor (TV and cinema, not DVD) is getting clever and now getting more anime here. They also request certifications accordingly and view the market demand first. Sometimes, they follow the fan request. A clear example would be LoveLive!, original LoveLive! was never aired on Malaysian TV before the movie is released, but the fans are watching them (illegally) and once they know LoveLive! The School Idol Movie is confirmed, they contacted Golden Screen Cinemas (GSC, largest cinema chain) to get it screened here and GSC contacted their usual partner, Odex in Singapore to get the license and success. Then, GSC decided to release it first in higher price on "premiere screening" (as usual, lol) but BAM! two halls of premiere screening tickets sold out in 3 hours. xD After that hit, Animax (the only anime-dedicated TV channel here, where many people can't even purchase as it's on satellite TV Rolling Eyes ) finally aired LoveLive! legally AFTER the movie is screened. lol...

GSC also takes the live-streaming of LoveLive! µ's Final Live, and this year LoveLive! Sunshine!! Aqours first Live. Animax was also showing LoveLive! Sunshine!! one day after it shows in Japan (because it's too late at night to simulcast, if not mistaken). All thanks to DEMANDS FROM FANS. Razz
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
I see that you are a new poster. We appreciate your enthusiasm but this is a 7 year old article. I would advise you perhaps check out our rules on necroposting. I hope you enjoy your time here but please stick to active and current topics instead of necroposting old ones. Thank you.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4