• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, October 10-16

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alonsorules8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Wow I thought Cross Game would have broken into the top ten this week.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Good to see Naruto on there (since the manga is actually good) and nice to see Hetalia still holding on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:44 pm Reply with quote
alonsorules8 wrote:
Wow I thought Cross Game would have broken into the top ten this week.

The only way a sports manga would ever make it into the top 10 manga best seller list is if it's full of bishounen (Prince of Tennis).

The masses don't want to read a well written coming of age tale. They want to stare at hawt guys and hawt girls and/or see people fighting.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
sports manga are a thing of the past. look at weekly shonen jump. sports manga are canceled left and right in that magazine. its a wonder that kuroko no basket is going so strongly (but it also has hot, sweaty bishonen...).
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say that sports manga is a thing of the past what with Cross Game's last volume selling 200k+ copies
Scormio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
Yen Press is releasing Soul Eater 4, Black Butler 3, Pandora Hearts 3, and Omamori Himari 1 (which I REALLY hope sells well, and may, because of the recent anime) all this week, so hopefully we'll see (in 2 weeks) a lot of them on the list. Or just not Viz.
yblees

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:37 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
sports manga are a thing of the past. look at weekly shonen jump. sports manga are canceled left and right in that magazine. its a wonder that kuroko no basket is going so strongly (but it also has hot, sweaty bishonen...).

Razz
I disagree with your general statement, based on a sample size of one sports manga - All Rounder Meguru.
I admit, it's the only sports manga I've ever read, or am likely to - but it absolutely, amazingly Rocks!
It hardly has any bishies either.... ok maybe a couple, if muscular ones count, and it's not published in shonen jump ....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1