• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bleach DVD Box Set 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:46 am Reply with quote
If nothing else, this review makes me smile that Bleach isn't forgotten amongst critics!

And to have Carl do them! Ah, you know you love Bleach. It's the only shonen that pushes against "mature". And it's the only one that has a great dub with it!
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:04 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
If nothing else, this review makes me smile that Bleach isn't forgotten amongst critics!

And to have Carl do them! Ah, you know you love Bleach. It's the only shonen that pushes against "mature". And it's the only one that has a great dub with it!

I wouldn't say that. Bleach ain't the only shonen series that has a great dub with it. There's also Naruto Shippuden as well as Funi's version of One Piece , though Bleach is the superior of the three.

As for the grade I would give it an A- at the minimum.

Carl Kimlinger, wrote:
Emo-Ichi, on the other hand, is a serious detriment.

SERIOUSLY??? Hollow Ichigo emo? A crazy nut job? Yes. But an emo character??? Not gonna happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:23 am Reply with quote
Why wasn't the packaging listed as a con for this?

Every set they released since the fourth was more and more inconsistent, cheaply made, and included less for the same price. This one takes the cake.
Brice_Armstrong

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:39 pm Reply with quote
You totally overlooked the fact that all characters suddenly started flying and having their battles in mid air. This showcases a complete lack of professionalism from the author of this anime you're so fond of. Especially since it was never referred to before in the series. But I understand how fandom could affect one's judgement..
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Brice_Armstrong wrote:
You totally overlooked the fact that all characters suddenly started flying and having their battles in mid air. This showcases a complete lack of professionalism from the author of this anime you're so fond of. Especially since it was never referred to before in the series. But I understand how fandom could affect one's judgement..

Rukia was able to fly right at the start. Flying isn't possible in Soul Society, but it's always been possible in the real world, for those who know how (assuming you're not someone with a physical body).

Kubo makes a lot of mistakes, but this isn't one of them.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
It's the only shonen that pushes against "mature".

What does that even mean? Also, in both ways I can think to interpret that you're wrong.

jr0904 wrote:
SERIOUSLY??? Hollow Ichigo emo? A crazy nut job? Yes. But an emo character??? Not gonna happen.

He didn't say Hollow Ichigo was emo, he said Ichigo was emo about not being able to control his hollow side. Doesn't Tatsuki practically rough him up at one point for moping around so much?

Mad_Scientist wrote:
Rukia was able to fly right at the start. Flying isn't possible in Soul Society, but it's always been possible in the real world, for those who know how (assuming you're not someone with a physical body).

Why exactly can the reapers fly in the real world, but not Soul Society, then? That seems like a plot hole to me, especially since Soul Society is made out of spirit particles, and thus the fabric of that world should be more manipulate-able.
Asuron

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:40 am Reply with quote
Brice_Armstrong wrote:

It's Bleach my friend
If we were going to go over plot holes that Kubo left, we'd be here for a while
This whole arc is just the beginning of what is the inevitable spiral down into complete and utter crap
I look forward to to Carls view on this if he gets to review the later arcs
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:26 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

Mad_Scientist wrote:

Why exactly can the reapers fly in the real world, but not Soul Society, then? That seems like a plot hole to me, especially since Soul Society is made out of spirit particles, and thus the fabric of that world should be more manipulate-able.

They're focusing reishi under their feet in the real world. In the Soul Society, you can't really do that because the entire world is made out of reishi to begin with. There's no matter to put it over.

At least I think that's how it works.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:24 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Otaking09 wrote:
It's the only shonen that pushes against "mature".

What does that even mean? Also, in both ways I can think to interpret that you're wrong.

I agree. Sure, Bleach has blood and fanservice, but that isn't really what makes a story "mature", that's just merely "mature-rated" content. In terms of shonen, I think Naruto, One Piece, FMA, and quite a few more are more mature than Bleach.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

jr0904 wrote:

He didn't say Hollow Ichigo was emo, he said Ichigo was emo about not being able to control his hollow side. Doesn't Tatsuki practically rough him up at one point for moping around so much.

She did,but it was not for moping around. That happened during [spoiler] the start of the hueco mundo arc after the night orihime left.[/quote] and if that is not the making of an emo character, what is? Normal Ichigo, yes. , but definitely his hollow side is NO emo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:37 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

Every set they released since the fourth was more and more inconsistent, cheaply made, and included less for the same price. This one takes the cake.

At least they're not using STACKpaks...yet... Laughing
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

This a million times. I haven't bothered with the Bount specifically because of this; ignoring the fact it's filler. Twelve episodes? Really? When the first three were gratious enough to have twenty, and your selling this one at the same retail?
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:50 am Reply with quote
To Carl: unfortunately, there is no "character dynamics" in "Bleach". I know you are fan, but please lets not over stretch. "Bleach" is about graphics and intersting surreal abilities of fighters.
barrelroller

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:47 am Reply with quote
I'm personally a huge fan of Bleach, but this is more or less the beginning of a constant trend in the series. Way too much filler, and wee bits of canon here and there. The next box set is already out and the final half of it is filler, and the first half of the next one will conclude that filler. It's just amazing on how an anime can be stuck in filler for two entire seasons then have to resort to another mini filler after less than 20 episodes.

(Rant ends here)

Anyway, it was obvious that Viz were going to go the Funimation route with this. A part of me wishes they would at least still had the courtesy to give us the slim cases that the Bount sets got (I love the artwork on the DVD covers) but I guess that was asking too much.

This is really a beginning to a great arc, but knowing this whole thing just concluded in the manga after having 2 seasons of complete filler in the middle of it, I'm really dreading on buying the rest of these in half season sets.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1