• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: Theron and Carl's Best (and Worst) of 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood wasn't on anyone's list..in my humble opinion it was easily the best anime of the year..Angel Beats being a very close second..also Kent Williams current performance as Father in Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is absolutely riveting..without a doubt he delivered the best English Dub performance of the year.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I take exception with Eden of the East being called the greatest anything. It was good, don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it, but ending with a cliffhanger so it could segue into two movies cheapened the entire series for me. I felt like I was strung along by the creators using the series as a vehicle intended to sell movie tickets.

Oh c'mon, that didn't stop The X-Files praise before the movie. Laughing

The King of Harts wrote:
I guess I've just seen so many shows with cliffhanger endings that they don't bother me anymore, at least not as much as they did when I first started watching anime.

Inception, anyone? Laughing
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Personally, if I were to give an award to Heroman, it would be the "Proof That Kids Shows Are Not Bad" Award.

Panty and Stocking on the other hand would recieve the "Biggest Fandom Divide award."
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Love how Izaya was chosen by Carl to win Biggest Bastard. Laughing
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
or The Tatami Galaxy past its first episode (I am not a fan of exceedingly abstract philosophical stuff),

It's really not, Theron. It's a straight-up smart comedy, and you can appreciate it as that. Give it another try!

I started reading the manga of Cross Game, and I liked the pacing of it far better than the first episode of the anime ("here's a character -- oops! we killed her with barely any character development beyond the fact that she's cute!"), but... I still just didn't care. Maybe it's the age of the characters, maybe it's the sports theme, I dunno, I couldn't make it past the first volume. Sad

Oh, and Carl, could not agree more on the best scene of the year. I felt absolutely high after that episode, it was so amazing, and violated my rule of not talking the ears off people who don't watch anime with stuff about anime. I couldn't contain myself.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Weird. I watched the first episode of Angel Beats and wasn't interested enough to watch more than that, but I thought the general consensus was that the animation was bad/average and that the story was incomprehensible/rushed.

Well, aside from that, this is a pretty good list. There are some things I have no opinion on/don't care about (harem, etc.).
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I'm surprised Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood wasn't on anyone's list..in my humble opinion it was easily the best anime of the year..Angel Beats being a very close second..also Kent Williams current performance as Father in Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is absolutely riveting..without a doubt he delivered the best English Dub performance of the year.

Agreed on the FMA stuff. Glad they mentioned that earlier death scene though, a moment where those of us coming off the first series without reading the manga could see the new FMA would at the very least live up to if not exceed the already excellent first series. I still remember the discussion and wow reactions in the AS thread when it aired, and spoiler[what a fantastic performance by Laura Bailey there too].

I agree with Theron about Black Rock Shooter, I think it would be one of my bigger disappointments counting stuff I expected be utterly incredible, it was kind of okay but not nearly as good as I'd hoped, though it still has some potential to become it if it were to get more anime installments that re-focus the attention on the action. I went in from all the build up and teasers expecting FLCL balls-to-the-walls inventive action and got....something else...

Carl's greatest bastard pick was one I totally agree with and I'm really happy to see Theron's death scene pick, what a wow moment in Xam'd, loved that show. Can't wait for that recently revealed upcoming Towa no Kuon show.

Another favorite that didn't get mentioned that I liked a lot would be Birdy the Mighty: Decode since that got both it's sets released by Funi this year.

Edit: Gah, can't believe I forgot Gundam Unicorn (thanks for the reminder, thanks penguintruth Smile) great show so far and stunning dub, and finally getting the entire second season of Gundam 00 on my shelf.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:03 pm; edited 7 times in total
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I definitely agree with Eden of The East as the best series of the year. No question there. I was also glad to see some of my favorite scenes and characters from Durarara get mentioned.

Quote:
That makes her both one of the most fascinating and one of the creepiest characters of the year.

I thought this was going to be the case before watching Dance in The Vampire Bund, but instead she was just annoying and ridiculous. Kind of like the whole show actually.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I believe Gundam Unicorn's English dub is superior to Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood's, but it's no surprise to me it was picked.

Gundam Unicorn itself should have been considered for some award.

I'm really glad Chris Ayres got some love for his Freeza. He really blows me away with his performance, that even rivals Ryusei Nakao's original Z performance, and certainly matches his Kai performance. It's about time this character was treated with some respect by an English dub. Some of it was certainly a more accurate script for Kai, but a lot of it was also his brilliant delivery that gives me chills.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Would it be out of turn to ask what RPG you guys play?

I was wondering this too!

Also, glad to see that Toradora's Japanese cast got a nod. The cast in that is so good I actually wasn't too disappointed to hear that it wasn't getting a dub, even though I'm typically a dub-first watcher when I have a choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dagon123

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so I have to admit most of the series were shoe-ins for this, but this line right here just cheapened about half the entire article for me

wrote:
Best English Dub Performance – Male: Chris Ayres as Frieza, Dragon Ball Kai

Really? Really?! Eden of the East and Fullmetal all by themselves could have given you a better dub performance, but that line almost feels like "Its time to pay the bills, this line gos out to Dragonball Kai from FUNimation"
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I remember when watching Canaan and hearing Jessica Boone sound like an absolute psycho and being amazed. She nailed that role so hard that I'm surprised she wasn't a hands down choice for Theron. I'll never see Chiyo-chan in the same light ever again. Also, the Irish accents in Tears to Tiara bugged me at first, but that's mostly because it's jarring. They quickly grew on me and Chris had a pretty good performance as Arthur. I am still a little peeved that Matt Greenfield somehow didn't know Rathy was a girl even though she totally screams little girl (the blushing, the voice, the actions, THE CAT EARS).

Yeah what a performance, also I'd say Canaan had some of the best directed action of the year and stunning action scene animation and coloring (Great job P.A. Works and Mr. Ando!). Further cemented my love of Masahiro Ando's work along with the Sword of the Stranger movie which is still a favorite. I can't wait for his next action series, hope he's working on something.

Can't agree more on the surprising weirdness of that Tears to Tiara mixup *sigh*.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
No Panty and Stocking, no Shiki, no The World God Only Knows, nothing from what actually aired in FMA: Brotherhood, no One Piece...

And the way you talk about Xam'd, you make me think it's not the convoluted stretched-so-thin-its-transparent Eureka Seven wannabe it really is.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I guess I've just seen so many shows with cliffhanger endings that they don't bother me anymore, at least not as much as they did when I first started watching anime.

And how many of those shows would you have rated as best of the year? Wink

Akukame wrote:
The TV series was a complete, standalone, arc. It didn't explain everything, but it didn't really need to. It still would have been the best series of 2010 even if the movies never existed.

Complete in the sense of what? It didn't actually conclude anything, not even the things that came up in the series itself. It ends with more unanswered questions than it begins with. It would be one thing if it ended something, but it actually ends the same way it begins, how is that satisfying? As an overall series in three installments I enjoyed it a lot, but as a single, stand alone TV series that depends on the movies to finish its story it was a disappointment.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
Ok, so I have to admit most of the series were shoe-ins for this, but this line right here just cheapened about half the entire article for me

wrote:
Best English Dub Performance – Male: Chris Ayres as Frieza, Dragon Ball Kai

Really? Really?! Eden of the East and Fullmetal all by themselves could have given you a better dub performance, but that line almost feels like "Its time to pay the bills, this line gos out to Dragonball Kai from FUNimation"

Uh...what? Eden of the East and FMA:Brotherhood are Funimation titles, too, so I don't know why giving those a win would've been a respectable choice while Dragonball winning is simply driven by marketing...particularly since Dragonball is such a cashcow for Funi, it seems like Eden would need the ANN/Key Bump more.

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with his choice--I have no interest in Dragonball so I haven't seen it--I just think the implication that the choice was just to make Funi as an advertiser happy seems really weird in that context.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5