• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Summer Wars Nominated for ICS Awards, But Not Oscars

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
It bites, but not too surprising, that Summer Wars didn't get the Oscar nomination. However, it's nice to see it's still getting some sort of recognition.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:19 am Reply with quote
It sucks that Summer Wars might have gotten a nomination if only one more show had been submitted for consideration. So close...

I still plan to see it when it comes to town next week, though.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote
mmm, a faint hope, it was... still the IC is better than nothing. I hope overall they have made money on it...

make sure to tell your firends, it is quite well priced in the pre-sale.

all awards aside, if it sells, then more will be made.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see Summer Wars didn't make the Oscars, but Funimation did put a lot of effort for Summer Wars. But I'm proud Funimation tried their best for Summer Wars.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote
In an ideal world, Summer Wars and The Illusionist both would've gotten nominated, and How to Train Your Dragon would've been snubbed, but there's nothing that could be done. It did have a good chance, and would've had a much better chance with five nominations.

It's kind of funny how the fact that Yogi Bear didn't qualify as an animated feature is what kept Summer Wars from getting nominated.
ALHQ51

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
They should drop the limit of animated films to 13-15 instead of 16 to get 5 in because it seems that certain films are getting snubbed.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Once again anime get's shafted at the Oscars. I remember showing my mom Paprika when it came out and she said this should have won an Oscar. I bet Summer Wars will be the same.

Well out of all those it will be Dragon vs Toys.
sykoeent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... well... the Oscars are basically "bought" awards. In my honest opinion, Toy Story 3 and How to Train were both good films, but I would have to give this award to the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. That was probably the best film last year
6Hokage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Why this boring mediocrity should be nominated for anything at all is beyond me.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
The Oscars have no credibility whatsoever..they are a complete joke.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
The Oscars have have no credibility whatsoever..they are a complete joke.

Welcome to the world of America's 21st century entertainment industry.
In movies, nothing "foreign" is allowed to win, barring Miyazaki
In the music industry, only rap, hip-hop and the like is considered "acceptable"
In the gaming industry, RPGs are garbage while (mindless) shooters with lackluster plot are considered epic

yup that about sums it up. It just shows that America is an arrogant, selfish, and violent country from politics to entertainment <_< "Freedom" is nothing but a scam and cover up in this age
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Even if there had been 5 nomination slots, the only other animated films that would've stood a serious chance at being nominated would've been Tangled, Despicable Me, and Megamind. Even though FUNi filled out the paperwork to get on the short list, they weren't spending much of anything on For Your Consideration advertising, and the Summer Wars Oscar screenings were sparsely attended.

Once again, if an anime film is not from Hayao Miyazaki and the distributor doesn't have the same money that Disney puts into the Ghibli FYC Oscar campaigns, it's not going to be nominated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote
sykoeent wrote:
Hmm... well... the Oscars are basically "bought" awards. In my honest opinion, Toy Story 3 and How to Train were both good films, but I would have to give this award to the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. That was probably the best film last year

Yes, DoHS just screams Oscar winner, I can totally see the academy leaping up on their feet in triumphant glory as they unanimously vote it in above Toy Story 3 and How to Train Your Dragon. Laughing
oishi_47

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Welcome to the world of America's 21st century entertainment industry.
In movies, nothing "foreign" is allowed to win, barring Miyazaki
In the music industry, only rap, hip-hop and the like is considered "acceptable"
In the gaming industry, RPGs are garbage while (mindless) shooters with lackluster plot are considered epic

yup that about sums it up. It just shows that America is an arrogant, selfish, and violent country from politics to entertainment <_< "Freedom" is nothing but a scam and cover up in this age

Wait...isn't The King's Speech British? Isn't Britain foreign? I'm pretty sure I see Lady Gaga on TV a lot, and to the best of my knowledge, she isn't a rap star. I was also under the impression that Bioware RPGs were fairly popular mainstream titles. Pardon, but was that just a rant of erroneous conjecture?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

You forgot "melodramatic."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4