• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 MacGuyver Successors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
I was boring and took the question seriously (Kozue and Miki from Utena), but I hope Sora and Haruka win.

I picked the Vocaloid twins myself, but I'm kind of hoping that Sora and Haruka end up in the top 3. I don't think that I'll be able to stop laughing if that happens.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
On a lark - and out of respect for the show actually having the guts to depict spoiler[full-sex blood-related brother-sister incest] - I voted for Haruka and Sora. They almost certainly won't win, but it will be interesting to see how far they get.

As for Master Keaton, I would definitely advise Lynzee to watch it. Not only is it a great show in its own right but you'd be hard-pressed to find a more resourceful character in Anime.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Shusuke and Shuri from Myself;Yourself FTW! I love them so much! Their relationship is so beautiful! Not to mention Shuri is kickass. She's the main reason I bought all the DVDs and the games!
dizzon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I cried sad, old school tears that Record of Lodoss War's Narse wasn't higher on the list.

That makes two of us. Oh well, I take solace that my vote helped keep him off the bottom.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Shusuke and Shuri from Myself;Yourself FTW! I love them so much! Their relationship is so beautiful!

Oh, those two. I guess I was blocking for some reason. Last shot was them coming back holding hands together, yes? Blocking, oh yes...

Hey, now I remember who my favoriteboy/girl twin pair was, Kurumi and Shuu from Pani Poni Dash. I can't believe I forgot her. {Why? No incest understones whatsoever which is weird because the Kaswhiwagi twins have yuri undertones all over the place...}

But since that isn't there, I'll go Yosuga No Sora. Because there isn't any incest subtext. Absolutety none, it's right there...

I'm not sure about this list - I always considered the "MacGuyver" type to be a frustrated engineer who had to get a real job instead, mad scientists with real labs, actual engineers with full finacial backing and mechanical geniuses whose job is it is to be a real mechanical genius don't quite fit the same mold.

Quote:

It might not have been a bomb out of shoestring and bubblegum

Nina from Code Geass?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Hm, don't know about Bulma in #1. She has made some pretty great things, but she hardly had to improvise like MacGuyver. Her father is extremely wealthy and she has access to all the best technology there is. She didn't build the Dragon Radar in a cave with a pile of scraps, she build it in a gigantic research laboratory of her genius scientist father with probably some grade A technology.

It does seem opposite the spirit of the opening paragraph, "It's one thing to build a giant robot on a military budget, but another entirely to create one out of the scrap heap out back."

Love the topic though. And another hellz yeah! for Master Keaton. The chocolate is even an actual MacGyverism! Very Happy

I'd also like to add Kirika from Noir (well, both of them actually, but she's the better at improvisation on the fly, hands down). She can turn anything and everything at hand into an asset or a lethal weapon, from popcorn to a toy truck axle.
Slowzhand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
And I'm only here to complain about the spelling of MacGyver...
rowsdower

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:25 am Reply with quote
I'm just going to add yet another vote to the Keaton pile.

NO TAICHI HIRAGA-KEATON = NO DEAL
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:51 am Reply with quote
Slowzhand wrote:
And I'm only here to complain about the spelling of MacGyver...

So far. Smile Although I call it MacGuyver because it sounds like a Guyver series. Also funny because whenever I tried to ask a lay person about The Guyver in the past they always thought I said MacGyver.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:13 am Reply with quote
You are now picturing MacGyver as Guyver.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:17 am Reply with quote
How many actually remember MacGyver besides the title? Laughing
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:24 am Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
Quote:
I cried sad, old school tears that Record of Lodoss War's Narse wasn't higher on the list.

That makes two of us. Oh well, I take solace that my vote helped keep him off the bottom.

Mine too. Sigh...maybe Shooting Star, Mycen, Bramd, or Abram would've done better. That show had some awesome dragons.

BTW: one more recommendation to anyone who's listening to check out "Master Keaton." A truly excellent series!

And edit: Out of the list this week, I've only seen "Utena", "Tokyo Babylon", and a little bit of "Monster". Went with Miki/Kozue, although seeing more "Monster" might have changed my mind.

Last edited by vanfanel on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:52 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
How many actually remember MacGyver besides the title? Laughing

Hey! Some of us here are old farts, or at least old enough to have seen the first run Voltron and Robotech as kids. Yes, I remember MacGyver.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
My God.... Seven people.... actually know about Master Keaton?

*gets teary-eyed*

I... I am so proud of you guys right now... Crying or Very sad
Gwydion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm just happy I can actually vote for Scrapped Princess in something! lol Wonder how close to the bottom it'll be...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4