• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nickelodeon to Air Digimon Fusion Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:52 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

You act like Digimon never had fanservice before. If anything Xros Wars is pretty toned down in comparison; it never had straight up nudity like the first series did. Just because you don't like fanservice doesn't mean it's okay to edit it out.

But you can turn that around. Because just because you think it's wrong to edit things out doesn't mean it is. It's not like these edits are hidden from Toei, they approve things like that and even go as far as to choose their own dub names for Digimon who already had established dub names.

When it comes down to it, the only way Digimon can be successful in the US is if it's aimed at kids. I know it doesn't bother you but some of those shots of Merva would clearly NOT fly in America so they just have to be changed. If you think they just shouldn't bring it over at all because they have to cut or paint over what probably adds up to, we'll say, 10 minutes of boob content out of a 50 episode series, then I don't know what to tell you.

And there's a huge difference between showing a character naked in the bath or transformation sequence and sexualizing them. Everything pre-Savers barely had actual fanservice. Xros takes it up to eleven with waggling boobs and many shots focusing on boobs or butt or what-have-you. Nene even got blatantly sexualized in the second half of the series.

Edit: This isn't to say that editing is always a good thing, I think a lot of companies go way overboard as far as what they think is appropriate for kids... like Yugioh's cards for example, covering some skin or removing blood is one thing, but flattening women's chests and turning every projectile into some kind of laser... thats just being way to careful.

That said, excited for it to be on Nicktoons, that should be much better for the franchise than Disney X.D. was. Still can't help but wonder if it will be on Vortexx, since it seems like they are not afraid to share DBZ and Yugioh.

Last edited by Hagaren Viper on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:31 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Glad to see the naysayers are already out in force. Always fun.

>_> I know its like they don't love seeing anime get butchered and dumbed down for kids or something.

Hell yeah, I mean, it's not as if Digimon was a kids' anime... oh, wait.

EDIT: what Gyt Kaliba said, sorry.
uncutpokemon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:27 am Reply with quote
I wonder if we'll get an English dub that keeps the original music for once? Oh who am I kidding, Digimon will never get with the times.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
uncutpokemon wrote:
I wonder if we'll get an English dub that keeps the original music for once? Oh who am I kidding, Digimon will never get with the times.

That just reminds me of how only the original Ocean and FUNimation English dub of Dragon Ball Z failed to keep the original music. >_> Every time I stumble upon clips from other countries or in other languages, it's fine. I'm a bit curious whether this is another case where only the North American localisation (by extension British, Australian, Canadian... well Pan-English speaking) got cheated out of the original soundtrack and the correct names (haven't watched Digimon really but "Mikey" really?).

On topic, I imagine we will have some sort of backlash if Digimon ever tried to step towards standard localisation techniques such as the original soundtrack, original names, moderate comprising of foreign elements (honorifics perhaps), moderate censorship and an uncensored release on DVD and Bluray. >_>

There is still a fanbase war over Ocean and FUNi DBZ, both being antagonistic towards later FUNimation performances though I guess reasons vary with everything.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
The Spanish dub was a lot more faithful to the Japanese version and even used a dub of the original songs Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QARjZTssB6k

I still prefer the sub tho. So not everyone grew up with the American version, which really altered everything from what I've seen and heard from clips like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m71HJZKdqzs Confused I'm not sure how anyone could defend that. All those jokes totally ruined that scene. It was supposed to be serious yet everyone's making jokes left and right and the music just sounds so generic.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
The Spanish dub was a lot more faithful to the Japanese version and even used a dub of the original songs Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QARjZTssB6k

I still prefer the sub tho. So not everyone grew up with the American version, which really altered everything from what I've seen and heard from clips like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m71HJZKdqzs Confused I'm not sure how anyone could defend that. All those jokes totally ruined that scene. It was supposed to be serious yet everyone's making jokes left and right and the music just sounds so generic.

Scene still totally works for me. There's not nearly as many jokes in that scene as you make it out to be. I see the joking in this scene as a coping mechanism. They're scared out of their minds, and just trying to laugh it off. The music isn't great, but it's not horrible either. It's still a powerful scene.

I've seen the sub. I prefer the dub. Digimon on its own is too childish a show to hold my attention for long. The dub at the very least has some nostalgia value for me.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Crispy45 wrote:
>_> I know its like they don't love seeing anime get butchered and dumbed down for kids or something.

Hate to break it to you, but Digimon is a kid's show.

>_> Maybe after they take an industrial strength buzzsaw to the series every time it comes over here. In Japan it's for kids, but not here it wouldn't be otherwise it wouldn't be heavily edited so much. Japanese kids shows are in a totally different category than American ones.

kakoishi wrote:
People watch children's shows for that?

<_< The main reason I watch Fairy Tail is for the girls and humor. Dat Mirajane VS Jenny fight sweet Jesus. Kids shows are better for fanservice than otaku stuff because it's not all censored for the blu-ray release. Lol. I guess how they handle Mervamon would be how they would handle Fairy Tail if it aired on a kids channel.

BonusStage wrote:
I still prefer the sub tho. So not everyone grew up with the American version, which really altered everything from what I've seen and heard from clips like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m71HJZKdqzs I'm not sure how anyone could defend that. All those jokes totally ruined that scene. It was supposed to be serious yet everyone's making jokes left and right and the music just sounds so generic.

If that bothers you, don't look up the Apocalymon sub/dub comparison. It's like 100 times worse ~_~. They play a game of Marco Pollo during his dramatic speech. It's pretty much a gag dub at that point in time.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Crispy45 wrote:

Hate to break it to you, but Digimon is a kid's show.

>_> Maybe after they take an industrial strength buzzsaw to the series every time it comes over here. In Japan it's for kids, but not here it wouldn't be otherwise it wouldn't be heavily edited so much. Japanese kids shows are in a totally different category than American ones.

Nope it still would be a kid show. Even if it was unedited, you wouldn't be able to successfully market it to any one other than kids. Digimon isn't the uber mature show you're trying to make it out to be.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
Quote:
the longest-running Japanese anime property.

Other than that, coolie! I love me some Digimon!

Yup, this is pretty cool.

Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
machetecat wrote:
Quote:
the longest-running Japanese anime property.

Other than that, coolie! I love me some Digimon!

Sazae-san would like a word.

Either way, the facial expression made me laugh Very Happy
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

....It's still a kid's show. It is not this massive paragon of maturity and GRIMDARK EDGYNESS that you keep playing it up as.

Last edited by Chagen46 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
You're right, those are still aimed at kids - but I'd say that Digimon is aimed at a slightly lower age bracket if I were guessing. I have no proof of this mind you though, so I fully admit I could be wrong on this one. The fact remains though that it's a kid's show, and unless it manages to land on a late night block like Naruto now has, it's gonna see some edits to get on TV here. That's just how it is.

It's not really any different, it's time slot in the past has been no real different than One Piece's. It aired at 9:00 AM on Sundays while One Piece airs 9:30 AM on Sundays.

And there's a difference between the editing Naruto got and Digimon got. Naruto at least kept the music and overall mood and feel. Digimon is essentially a bad Abridged Series-style dub. The fact the dub trailer is clearly aimed at shareholders rather than fans indicate just how little Saban actually cares about the franchise.

Quote:
Apparently you missed the part where I mentioned loving fanservice. I thrive on the stuff if it's done well - Girls Bravo is probably my favorite harem title ever, and that's more well-written fanservice than you're ever likely to see in another series.

No, what gets me is gratuitous fan-service in Digimon itself, a show that never really needed it before to do well. There's some nudity in Adventure very briefly, and occasional shots in Tamers, via the whole Biomerging thing - but I wouldn't call any of that 'fanservice' by any means. They weren't meant to get your interest, the moments in Adventure were meant to be funny from what I remember, and the ones in Tamers were more of an artistic choice thing.

Then there's the 'Sexy Dynamite' bit in Frontier. That one's kinda borderline for me. While it's a little more than I'd like in Digimon, I give it a pass mainly because it was all in Zoe's head. It's how she's imagining herself - I could see that being something a girl like her would do, so while it's definitely fanservice and meant to grab your attention as such, it's still played for humor more than it is titillation.

Sorry, I suppose I should have specified "just because you don't like fanservice in Digimon". There's no real objective reason why Digimon can't have fanservice (for the record, we do see the bottom curve of her Izumi's breasts as she stands in her underwear which wasn't a dream sequence when she strips of her shirt.. and Angewomon had plenty of blatant shots of her crotch and breasts, though admittedly they don't draw her cameltoe like they do on Mervamon and Lillithmon, but they did draw Fairymon's plenty of times in Frontier.. one of her attacks was spreading her legs (completely with gratuitous zoom-in) and crotch humping people) I just don't see the big deal of why it's okay for other shows to have it but when Digimon does it it's apparently wrong. It sounds like some kind of nostalgia shield to me, like Digimon must remain the innocent pure kids shows the dub is but originally never was and anything to ruin that childhood innocence is bad. Kids shows have been like that since the 70s with Yatterman and Cutey Honey. It's pretty much what attracts otaku and older audiences to them and why shows like Inazuma 11 and Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal so popular with doujinshi circles at Comiket. Companies love appealing to the secondary demographic since it helps drum up interest and merchandising sales.

Hagaren Viper wrote:
But you can turn that around. Because just because you think it's wrong to edit things out doesn't mean it is

I don't think you can turn that one around; censorship is generally a negative thing.

Quote:
When it comes down to it, the only way Digimon can be successful in the US is if it's aimed at kids.

I suppose the question is then why bother if you have to change so much stuff? It might work sometimes, but instances like Detective Conan and Shin-chan show us otherwise. If you have to change so much of something to make it work, then maybe it's better not to bring it over and stick to stuff the market might like for it's own merits rather than ones superimposed on them from outside sources.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad for English Digimon fans that the show will get on a more successful network. While I'd at least like the new dub to keep the original music, that doesn't sound likely. Still, as long as it's more like Savers' dub instead of the others (though I'm going on hearsay here), it'll at least be decent.

Besides, since Xros Wars has uncut legal streaming with subtitles that are actually good, I'm not really going to be that broken up, whatever they do. Wink

...Actually, I might have already mentioned this, but I think it'd be nice if Tom Fahn, the original Agumon, voiced Shoutmon, (which is what the Japanese version did with Chika Sakamoto). Does Fahn do much work anymore though?
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

I just don't see the big deal of why it's okay for other shows to have it but when Digimon does it it's apparently wrong. It sounds like some kind of nostalgia shield to me, like Digimon must remain the innocent pure kids shows the dub is but originally never was and anything to ruin that childhood innocence is bad.

It's not just a dub thing, even sub fans have had their share of gripes about her. She's... mildly controversial.

Hagaren Viper wrote:
I don't think you can turn that one around; censorship is generally a negative thing.

I totally agree. Like I said earlier, the vast majority of censorship on Yugioh is pretty stupid, but that [At least with the show itself, hard to say with the cards] is why it was able to be shown on WB and become huge. It's a negative for people who were fans of the original, but as far as the new young fans and the companies involved? One heck of a positive.

Quote:
I suppose the question is then why bother if you have to change so much stuff? It might work sometimes, but instances like Detective Conan and Shin-chan show us otherwise. If you have to change so much of something to make it work, then maybe it's better not to bring it over and stick to stuff the market might like for it's own merits rather than ones superimposed on them from outside sources.

Luckily, Digimon has had more successes than those two. The dub has worked well enough that it seems like there are just as many people who love and even prefer it as there are people who hate it. And regardless of anyone's opinion on it, the dub introduced people Digimon who probably never would have known of it otherwise, even if they ended up not liking what it did and sticking to the Japanese version later. The dub DVD set of Adventure was even in the top 10 selling anime on Amazon for months [Though currently it's dropped back down to 25]. Like I said about Yugioh, clearly it was worth the effort, and while Digimon never got as big as Pokemon or Yugioh it was able to make a decent name for itself in the US.

You can even go earlier and say edited DBZs and Sailor Moons got a lot of people into anime in general. Regardless of how bad the dub is, the effect it has isn't always as bad.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Apparently show for little children in Japan have enough depth to appeal to adults here without the need of retooling it.

Have you heard of something called My Little Pony?

TitanXL wrote:
You act like Digimon never had fanservice before. If anything Xros Wars is pretty toned down in comparison; it never had straight up nudity like the first series did.

IIRC the first season had a public bath episode and there was only partial nudity. They only had character models for the kids in their underwear, not nude. Tamers also had an onsen episode, although IIRC it was just the guys topless? The Matrix Evolution scenes were sparkly barbie doll nudity that was left untouched by Saban/Disney/Sensation. They had more of a problem with the violence in Tamers.
I do believe it was Frontier fans who first taught me the word fanservice however...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
It's not just a dub thing, even sub fans have had their share of gripes about her. She's... mildly controversial.

That's odd, I've never heard any sub fan complain about her on the Digimon fansites and other sites I go to. Only complaining I saw was the whole Digi-Xros gimmick thing.

Quote:
I totally agree. Like I said earlier, the vast majority of censorship on Yugioh is pretty stupid, but that [At least with the show itself, hard to say with the cards] is why it was able to be shown on WB and become huge. It's a negative for people who were fans of the original, but as far as the new young fans and the companies involved? One heck of a positive.

Can't say I'm a fan of that. That's just a cold, machine-like business decision on those companies parts. Part of the reason those franchises do so well in Japan is they appeal to everyone and care they put into all aspects of them. The fact YGO dropped heavily in popular after Duel Monsters ended but still went strong in Japan shows how fickle marketing decisions like that are when you try to do that. And since the YGO dub was nothing like the original show, we'll never know if it was just the dub or the franchise's fault. That's what happens when you aim your sights on short-term. Pocket Monsters is in the same boat; the anime still does strong in Japan but it's like forgotten on American TV and is treated just as a soulless advertisement, where in Japan they had tons more events, promotions, OVAs, and stuff removed and not done in the US.

Quote:
You can even go earlier and say edited DBZs and Sailor Moons got a lot of people into anime in general. Regardless of how bad the dub is, the effect it has isn't always as bad.

I guess I'm the only one who is hoping the company that snatches up the 2013 Sailor Moon doesn't repeat the 90s dub. I don't care if "it wont reach kids"/ It's really warped logic when we tailor shows not to the actual fans but try to get people who don't like it to like it, most of which who won't care about it or will forget about it in a year much like the previous two examples I used. I assume Funi is having more success with One Piece despite it not being on TV than 4Kids did, because 4Kids was focused on the short-term gain of appealing to kids on TV while Funi seems more tailored to appealing to the actual fans of the property.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
Have you heard of something called My Little Pony?

Not really the same boat, but let's not get into that again.

Quote:
IIRC the first season had a public bath episode and there was only partial nudity.

You saw nude butts and other nudity in the first series, actually. They didn't show genitalia or anything but you don't see that in Xros Wars either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4