• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sweetest anime ever.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BesuDesu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Amongst all the silly tomfoolery and violence prevalent in a lot of mainstream anime (looken at you... Bleach) it's nice to see some shows with some good old genuine heart and emotion being portrayed, and at times being done really intellectually. So, here, I want you to write about anime that gives you toothaches from the sweetness every time you watch it. It can be really cerebral with themes about love and its effects and yada yada (Trigun) or, it can be genuinely simple and heartfelt, playing with your emotions at every turn. Like a Steven Spielberg piece. Oh... wait... you wanna anime example of that category too... umm... Bamboo Blade is actually a pretty good example of this (at times). However, what comes to mind as a primary example right now is:
Fruits Basket- When you get down to it, this show's main themes all encompass love and it's effects across a spectrum of scenarios and personalities. One second, it's light, fluffy, easily digestible viewing, and the next, we have bunny's crying their eyes out (you know the scene) and seeing the innermost torments of our characters D8. That's not even touching our main heroine, Tohru. Throughout the series, you see her as the ultimate embodiment of selflessness and caring. In fact, her ultimate defense against tragedy is... to be completely selfless and love the shit out of anyone who is in a dire situation at the moment.

Last edited by BesuDesu on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
BesuDesu wrote:
Amongst all the silly tomfoolery and violence prevalent in a lot of mainstream anime (looken and you... Bleach) it's nice to see some shows with some good old genuine heart and emotion being portrayed, and at times being done really intellectually.

Hey, those can be very sweet as well though. Naruto just had a really great episode (306) about Neji and Hinata's relationship. The scene with her stumbling around blind and him helping her without her knowledge was great.. and I guess the next two (307, 308) that deal with a woman suffering PTSD from seeing her fiance killed in war and trying to move on with her life are sweet as well, though maybe a bit more on the 'downer' scale.
BesuDesu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Ok, fair enough. For the sake of debate, you can put anything you think conveys general heart and emotion, no matter how well done it is.
Edit: Ok, just realized that last part can be construed as kinda [expletive] offensive ^^;. I'm not here to bash anyone's thoughts or taste. Anyway, you know the requirements for the thread, so list away.

Last edited by BesuDesu on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I think Full Moon Wo Sagashite makes Fruits Basket look like....well, fluff, actually. Anime hyper
BesuDesu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Pre-tell, Chiibi :3
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Sweetest anime ever?

Well the first thing that comes to mind is Hanamaru Kindergarten
Look at it:

A bunch of people think the plot is soured because the premise is about a little girl who gets a crush on her teacher. But look at them, do they look paedophilic in any way? The show even has a supposed yakuza family, but look at them

You don't need to understand Japanese to appreciate the sweetness from the trailer. It is like a cast full of Potemayo (without the animal like traits), even swimsuits can be unbelievably sweet (adorable). And three word: panda neko dance.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
BesuDesu wrote:
Pre-tell, Chiibi :3

Hmm...well....let's see...I guess since the Furuba anime was cut short, there were not as many opportunities to touch the audience. Full Moon though, had 52 episodes to work with and that's a whole lotta time to pack with emotion...which is exactly what they did. And because there were more episodes, it's easy to name lots of moments that could make you cry or at least go "AWW". Furuba only had a couple I can remember. I know I didn't bawl like a baby during the former like I did with the latter. And one major strength is how the romance is played out in the latter. Furuba just didn't deliver on that aspect. (not like they could help that though)

The manga on the other hand is pretty powerful. If only the anime was a better adaptation...it could have been much more amazing. Sad
It IS sweet, though, definitely earns a spot in "Sweet Anime".
So here is my list of "Sweetest Anime" (in no particular order):

Full Moon Wo Sagashite (I've talked about this enough)
Fruits Basket (Everyone else talked about this enough)
Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar (Literally. It's about a fairy named Sugar and how she makes friends with a lonely little girl. Diabeetus, anyone?)
Ano Hana (This is up there with FM on the emotional level)
Angel Beats (See above)
Pita-Ten (It's Koge-freaking Donbo)
Kimi Ni Todoke (Sweet shoujo love story)
AKB0048 ("Loving your enemy by singing songs to them")
Petite Princess Yucie (Wholesome series about the power of friendship between five "little" girls)
Card Captor Sakura (Screw Chobits. THIS is Clamp's cutest series)
Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon (all seasons because "love and friendship conquers evil" is the solid theme throughout all five of them Anime hyper)

Last edited by Chiibi on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
BesuDesu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I completely agree ;a; Fruba was powerful in both mediums, but the anime was a really unfortunate victim of circumstance (with Takaya injuring her hand and all), and never really reached an iota of its full potential. But I guess the anime *kinda* gets the job done in the end.
swienke

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Well the first thing that comes to mind is Hanamaru Kindergarten

Oh god, that image gave me diabetes.

Anyway, I find Kobato to be a pretty cuddly series, even if it's sometimes a little too light on substance. Some people find Kobato herself to be annoying and the male lead is a bit of a jerk at first, but I ultimately found all the characters to be a pretty likable lot (even the kind-of-creepy-at-first yakuza guy) and every time Kobato helped someone out I kind of D'aaaawwww-ed inside.

Inu x Boku is also quite charming, though there's a thread of darkness running through it that blossoms tragically in the last two episodes. That being said, the show does a very good job of balancing those two elements without either one overwhelming the other and in some ways the darker elements actually help to heighten the satisfaction that the more heartwarming moments provide.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah.
It's kinda like being given frosting instead of the whole cake. Anime hyper

Though I don't like how the anime spoiler[made Tooru act all weak by her mother's grave before going after Kyou-monster and I don't like how they made it about Yuki, Tooru AND Kyou at the end!]
That was supposed to be a Tooru-Kyou ONLY thing! >:I

It'd be good if there was a remake. I used to think it was impossible to even hope for that....but I also thought the possibility of NEW SAILORMOON was non-existent so I think I could believe anything now! Anime hyper
BesuDesu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
That's what I've always said~ A remake... with better production values, a fuller telling of the story with Rin, Kureno, THAT FRAKING INSIGHT ON THE CHARACTERS THAT COMES IN THE END... I wouldn't care in the slightest if it runs over 50 or so episodes X3.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
With 23 manga volumes, IT HAD BETTER. Anime hyper

InuxBoku is on my watch list. It looks completely adorable. X3
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
While Inu x Boku SS, we are talking about a series that includes stalking, a huge S&M fan, and MANIAC. It is very cute with the trio of Karuta, Ririchiyo, and Watanuki. The cuteness is especially strong in that ED, Sweets Parade, I am trying to find it on youtube, but can't through all the redubs by various people.

It had its moments, like the button pressing, and following written instructions.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:00 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Look at it:

I've seen Hanamaru Kindergarten before and I liked it. But no matter how many times I watch it, the cuteness always overwhelms me. It's so freaking adorable that even those (like me) who frequently watch videos of cute animals on YouTube still can't handle it. In the words of Himeko from SKET Dance, when she sees something so adorable that she gets a heart attack, "Are you trying to kill me?!" That's how I feel when I look at that gif of Koume.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:25 am Reply with quote
For reference in the gif, she is saying the equivalence of "twinkle twinkle". (she is being a shooting star)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5