• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Reimagined Fairy Tales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I love seeing Princess Tutu as #1. It's one of my all-time favorites and is indeed richly rooted in fairytales.

I don't think it belongs in the top 8, but Madoka actually references "The Little Mermaid" too.

spoiler[ Like "The Little Mermaid", Sayaka makes a contract and sacrifices her normal life for the boy she loves. The boy does not return her feelings nor is he aware of her sacrifice. Instead he falls in love with someone else, Hitomi. (In "The Little Mermaid" the prince marries another princess.) Heartbroken, Sayaka disappears, instead of transforming into sea foam like the mermaid, she turns into a witch. (Although there is a TON of water imagery in episodes 8 and 9 when this all happens.) Her witch form (Oktavia) has a mermaid's tail. There is also the silhouette of a mermaid in a windchime before Madoka and Kyouko enter Oktavia's labyrinth. This might be pushing it, but in "The Little Mermaid", the mermaid is given the chance to save her life if she kills the prince. Kyouko tells Sayaka she should break Kyousuke's legs and make him helpless if she wants to save herself.]
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I love seeing Princess Tutu as #1. It's one of my all-time favorites and is indeed richly rooted in fairytales.

I don't think it belongs in the top 8, but Madoka actually references "The Little Mermaid" too.

spoiler[ Like "The Little Mermaid", Sayaka makes a contract and sacrifices her normal life for the boy she loves. The boy does not return her feelings nor is he aware of her sacrifice. Instead he falls in love with someone else, Hitomi. (In "The Little Mermaid" the prince marries another princess.) Heartbroken, Sayaka disappears, instead of transforming into sea foam like the mermaid, she turns into a witch. (Although there is a TON of water imagery in episodes 8 and 9 when this all happens.) Her witch form (Oktavia) has a mermaid's tail. There is also the silhouette of a mermaid in a windchime before Madoka and Kyouko enter Oktavia's labyrinth. This might be pushing it, but in "The Little Mermaid", the mermaid is given the chance to save her life if she kills the prince. Kyouko tells Sayaka she should break Kyousuke's legs and make him helpless if she wants to save herself.]

The whole anime isn't based on it, though, just Sayaka's story. I think that's why it isn't on the list.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
The guy even thought that The Little Match Girl was a happy and heart-warming story. (Sorry, I teach a couple courses on fairy tales...)

Speaking of Andersen, wasn't there an anime of his story "The Snow Queen" at some point?

The Little Match Girl is still a very painfully sad story to me.

I'm happy to see MAR on there, despite I foolishly dropped watching it years ago. I need to get back and finish it.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:

The whole anime isn't based on it, though, just Sayaka's story. I think that's why it isn't on the list.

I agree. That's why I said it didn't belong on the list. But since people were asking about Hans Christian Andersen, I thought I'd toss it in. ^_~
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
...also, neat! a List with well over half its members from the Shoujo/Josei side of the aisle.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Scariest clown has gotta be Mad Pierrot for sure. I've seen some of the other clowns, like Piedmon and Penchinon (do all evil clowns names begin with a "P"?), but most of the other clowns listed seem to have a line where they're probably stop kicking the dog. Mad Pierrot does not have that basic understanding, so he's gotta be the creepiest imo.
Was Hisoka on that list? He'd have to be the most awesome, I like not knowing what sides crazy people might be on!

Yeah, Princess Tutu would have to be the #1 spot on this list. Part of it being that it just reimagines so damn many fairy tales. Part of this is that so many ballets were of course based on fairytales. It does: The Nutcracker, Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake, Coppelia, Giselle, Cinderella, La Sylphide, Scheherezade (1001 Nights), A Midsummer Night's Dream (ok, that's a play). Anyway, it does a lot, and is handy enough to name most of the episodes after whatever ballet it's borrowing from that episode. And of course, it uses them all just perfectly. And music from other things, like Carnival of the Animals, Pictures at an Exhibition, On the Blue Danube, it's just epic. I'm sure most people on the forums have seen it, but it never hurts to tell those who haven't to see it.

Petite Princess Yucie feels like a fairy tale, what with the princesses and all, but it's not based on any specific in existence one either.

Sea Prince and the Fire Child is clearly Romeo and Juliet in water. And more depressing because 80s Sanrio. Though I'm once again confusing Shakespearean plays with fairy tales, but some of them kinda are fairy tales at this point.

The One Thousand and One Nights manhwa is quite obviously a bishounen version of 1001 Nights. Isn't Magi based on Scheherezade too?
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Scariest clown has gotta be Mad Pierrot for sure. I've seen some of the other clowns, like Piedmon and Penchinon (do all evil clowns names begin with a "P"?), but most of the other clowns listed seem to have a line where they're probably stop kicking the dog. Mad Pierrot does not have that basic understanding, so he's gotta be the creepiest imo.
Was Hisoka on that list? He'd have to be the most awesome, I like not knowing what sides crazy people might be on!

Yeah, Princess Tutu would have to be the #1 spot on this list. Part of it being that it just reimagines so damn many fairy tales. Part of this is that so many ballets were of course based on fairytales. It does: The Nutcracker, Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake, Coppelia, Giselle, Cinderella, La Sylphide, Scheherezade (1001 Nights), A Midsummer Night's Dream (ok, that's a play). Anyway, it does a lot, and is handy enough to name most of the episodes after whatever ballet it's borrowing from that episode. And of course, it uses them all just perfectly. And music from other things, like Carnival of the Animals, Pictures at an Exhibition, On the Blue Danube, it's just epic. I'm sure most people on the forums have seen it, but it never hurts to tell those who haven't to see it.

I'm sure they're merely prejudiced because 'Princess Tutu' is a feminine name, and society teaches men to attach negative connotations to femininity. Which is silly because it's a brilliant fairy tale, a brilliant piece of metafiction, and a brilliant subversion of the tragic story structure; a masterpiece. About as a silly a reason to not watch it as not watching 'Bebop' cause one's afraid it has rap in it.
jalil29

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote
wheres Ookami-san & Her Seven Companions i believe it does earn a spot
Kohii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:23 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Kohii wrote:
Black Rabbit is up so high because people overrate "Problem Children". Also, it was a weak list of candidates, other than Usagi. Now, if the list had been "Favorite bunny... girl", then Mikuru would've taken the (carrot) cake.

Black Rabbit is a humorous, intelligent character. Mikuru is notably lacking in depth (and not actually a rabbit).

Lacking reading comprehension, are we? The only interesting part about Black Rabbit was the fact that Shiroyasha made it so her skirt would show as much of her legs as possible, without actually showing her panties. I thought that was very clever and funny. Other than that, zero development in that one-speed show.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:39 am Reply with quote
Oh wow. Pretear is one of the best pure magical girl/sentai anime ever made. It's so good. Glad it's actually remembered.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
How did Laffitte make the poll for One Piece? He's got a strange look to him, but I'd hardly call him a clown, he's a tap dancer. Buggy The Clown got robbed of his spot in the list.

Would have picked Magi for the list long before I thought of MAR. In a sense the Fate series could fit as well, though that's more legend than fairy tail. Sometimes I think this column needs an "honorable mention" section.

Dragon Ball didn't make the list, but Saiyuki did...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:34 am Reply with quote
Snow Queen doesn't belong on this list by technicality, I think; it's pretty much a direct adaptation (with some filler material and some modernisation, granted.)

But yes, it was freaking awesome. It would have been great if there could have been a license of this, but I'm guessing it'd follow Princess Tutu in the "not doing so well in sales" department. Probably.

zeo1fan wrote:
I'm sure they're merely prejudiced because 'Princess Tutu' is a feminine name, and society teaches men to attach negative connotations to femininity. Which is silly because it's a brilliant fairy tale, a brilliant piece of metafiction, and a brilliant subversion of the tragic story structure; a masterpiece. About as a silly a reason to not watch it as not watching 'Bebop' cause one's afraid it has rap in it.

I think that's antagonizing it a little much. (Though I actually bought Princess Tutu, so maybe my perspective is not quite up to scratch.)

I think when it comes to men, most of us see femininity as the domain of women, and something we wouldn't really approach more than strictly necessary for our own interests.

As an example and a challenge for the (heterosexual) women out there; try imagining you going out on a date on a public place, and your significant other/date prospect shows up in a dress -- or, even better, a ballet tutu -- how many of you would find that charming? (Counter to running screaming out of whichever dating spot you chose and blacklisting said man for all times in the future?)

Watching or owning something feminine like Princess Tutu is just a milder example of that. I'm willing to bet the men who got this, or Sailor Moon or something else of the more girly nature, will always worry about what any prospective girlfriends are going to think when they see that.

Well, that's my perspective on this anyway.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:26 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

Ha Ha yeah he was a pretty devout Christian to put it lightly. I guess the religious undertones make it hard for me to fully enjoy a lot of his stories beyond a historical context. The Grimm's brothers aren't much better for me.

I have a hard time with them too - "The Snow Queen" and "The Shadow" are my big exceptions. (Dreading what Disney has done to the former with "Frozen"...although once I get over it, I'll probably enjoy it.) The Grimms are easier for me to take because their stories are actual folklore - stories culled from oral narratives that have counterparts in other cultures. Sure Wilhelm did some serious editing between the 1811 and the 1857 editions - mostly taking out the sex and adding violence; you can see the differences in the two versions of "Rapunzel" here, but the stories fit the actual folkloric definition of a fairy tale, so if you don't like the German version, you can go read the French or the Chinese or the Persian and get the same story. Seriously, look at how many Rumpelstiltskin stories there are. Andersen, on the other hand, was mostly making up his stories (there are a few exceptions, like "Wild Swans" and "The Princess and the Pea"), so they're fairy tale style stories rather than actual folklore.

belvadeer wrote:
The Little Match Girl is still a very painfully sad story to me.

I'm with you there.

Now to go find the "Snow Queen" anime! (Thanks, people who confirmed its existence!)
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:25 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

I have a hard time with them too - "The Snow Queen" and "The Shadow" are my big exceptions. (Dreading what Disney has done to the former with "Frozen"...although once I get over it, I'll probably enjoy it.) The Grimms are easier for me to take because their stories are actual folklore - stories culled from oral narratives that have counterparts in other cultures. Sure Wilhelm did some serious editing between the 1811 and the 1857 editions - mostly taking out the sex and adding violence; you can see the differences in the two

Interesting and I kind of do remember reading a Chinese Cinderella.

I think my main issue with the Grimm's version of the fairytales is the way women are written. And you have the whole ugly people are evil, pretty people are good, etc.

Anyways your class sounds really cool, I would love to take a class like that. Unfortunately my college elective days are over. I am going back to school now but for work related stuff (and nothing fun like a course on fairy tales).

Northlander wrote:

it'd follow Princess Tutu in the "not doing so well in sales" department. Probably.

Just want to point out that while Princess Tutu didn't do well at first, word of mouth actually changed that. I am pretty sure Princess Tutu was definitely a success for ADV in the end.

Quote:
As an example and a challenge for the (heterosexual) women out there; try imagining you going out on a date on a public place, and your significant other/date prospect shows up in a dress -- or, even better, a ballet tutu -- how many of you would find that charming? (Counter to running screaming out of whichever dating spot you chose and blacklisting said man for all times in the future?)

I know you realize this but your example is too extreme. A guy who loves to wear dresses and watching a series whose target audience is women are not the same thing.

If I saw a guy who owned Princess Tutu personally I would be really attracted to that because we share similar interests. And a guy who is comfortable with their sexuality is pretty sexy to me actually.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote
Oh, it's a VERY extreme example. I'm just trying to point out that men admitting to that sort of thing might be subjected to a large variety of reactions. The whole "society teaches men to attach negative connotations to femininity" statement comes across to me as one choosing to think worse of something centered around the habits of men rather than trying to understand why it's like this. It's probably less so within the subculture that is anime, which is a niche interest in the first place, but you still get that slight stigmata that I don't think a lot of women really understand.

Or, in a lot of cases, men are just afraid that women might do so. It's generally a huge gamble, and prone to a long string of interpretations and misinterpretations.

Look, I'm not saying the things I've written are completely correct. I'm just throwing some thoughts out here in the hopes of maybe getting a bit of a perspective on this subject.

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Just want to point out that while Princess Tutu didn't do well at first, word of mouth actually changed that. I am pretty sure Princess Tutu was definitely a success for ADV in the end.

That's good to hear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4