• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:02 am Reply with quote
Wow Carl I've never agreed with you as much as I am now with this review. Well done!
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:07 am Reply with quote
Haw... I'm actually interested. I might give it a spin when I get through some of my backlog.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:37 am Reply with quote
Carl wrote:
(Jenga tournaments? Really?)

I thought the Jenga game was perfectly in keeping with the rest of the show; not to mention, the visuals were hilariously creative, for instance in terms of how Haruna made use of her chainsaw.

Quote:
Like Ayumu in blossoming drag ... kicking the head off of a levitating blue whale.

I loved that battle--a great deal more than the following episode's in fact. Not only was it successful comically and as an action setpiece, but it reminded me of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Quote:
a comically unsteady "Dr. Poppor" for instance

Made me giggle uncontrollably, for some reason. The "Zombie Jerky" jokes haven't gotten old yet, either.

Another favorite joke is the recurring daydream sequences. Yuu's alternate voice are hysterically hammed up, as are Sera's and Haruna's in episode three.

Come to think of it, KZD very strongly succeeds on comedy for me. I wonder if Dyson watches it for his fan?
teknomantik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:59 am Reply with quote
I scratch my head at my choice from the beginning of the season: at the two-episode mark, I chose to keep Zombie yet drop Madoka. The latter mistake was later rectified, but not without aid of a choice spoiler or two. I think it was exactly its unpredictable, unconventional nature that kept my interest when the season's other magical-girl offering still looked as standard as they come.

I don't rate Zombie in the top three for the season, really (after Madoka, the other slots probably go to Hourou Musuko and Fractale, but it stands out enough that I look forward to getting home on Monday night and loading up Crunchyroll.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:35 am Reply with quote
teknomantik wrote:
I don't rate Zombie in the top three for the season, really (after Madoka, the other slots probably go to Hourou Musuko and Fractale, but it stands out enough that I look forward to getting home on Monday night and loading up Crunchyroll.

Which is why I rarely don't differentiate between my preferences and my ratings. Kore wa definitely won't be my highest rated this season, but it's my favorite nonetheless.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:44 am Reply with quote
For some reason the show didn't work for me at all and I dropped it about halfway through episode 2. I just couldn't get into it and I didn't find it that funny even when it was supposed to be. Maybe later in the year I will give it another shot and see if I can get into it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:10 am Reply with quote
This show is fun! Zombie (male) magical girls are definitely a new twist, and with Madoka Magica, it's a good season for the darker return of the classic genre. Definitely recommended for anyone who's still undecided!
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote
I agree that the show is fun but way overrated. It's unique and hilarious in its own way, but by no means a good show overall.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I agree that the show is fun but way overrated.

Where? In Japan? Because on this side Madoka seems 2 or 3 times more popular yet it's not twice as good by any means.

Quote:
It's unique and hilarious in its own way, but by no means a good show overall.

It's unique and hilarious, but by no means good overall?
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
This review has put my thoughts into a well written work. I agree with 95% of the review.

Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka?'s unpredictable moments, and randomness is what makes it really enjoyable. It takes random things together and make something fun out of it which makes it my favorite show out of this season.
Dojiko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:

Where? In Japan? Because on this side Madoka seems 2 or 3 times more popular yet it's not twice as good by any means.

Madoka is at least 3 times as good as Zombie. Character design, atmosphere, plot, originality, soundtrack, opening theme, ending theme, action, animation, you name it, it tops.

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? is a fun little romp if you don't mind getting bombarded with anime typecasts and stereotypes every now and then. The only thing really original about the series is the way it mashes those typecasts together to create something humorous if not incredibly interesting. There's no real character development, but some of the moments of cuteness that the reviewer found out of place seems to be the glue that cements Ayumu's awkward little family/harem together.

I like the show, but it shouldn't have gotten a higher rating than Level E...nope.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
This winter there are few shows to watch:
1) Madoka -- for being highly artistic graphically, musically, and for conceptual depths and dark seriousness;
2) Level E -- quite high class concept, too;
3) yes, this Zombie show -- not super conceptual or anything, but really new, unique mix that brings quality entertainment (except for periods when it turns to typical harem shows with cooking/sewing males, girls fighting between themselves for protagonist, so on);
4) Beelzebub -- nothing conceptual about it, but never lame, never boring high quality entertainment.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Dojiko wrote:
egoist wrote:
Quote:

Madoka is at least 3 times as good as Zombie. Character design, atmosphere, plot, originality, soundtrack, opening theme, ending theme, action, animation, you name it, it tops.

Loli design, depressing atmosphere, and plot twists every corner. Originality not as much, they just took magical girls and applied some Bokurano there. Soundtrack I'll have to agree, but the opening of Kore wa is better. The action in Madoka is very limited because of the quality they're using, and it becomes pretty obvious. The characters of Kore wa are much better because they're at least likable given the degree of the mood. In Madoka everyone is in a shitty mood for the most part. Comedy of Kore wa is top notch, which means you're already playing idiot by comparing a light series heavy on comedy, to something suicidal like Madoka down to technicalities.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1