• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fruits Basket Card Game

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:47 pm Reply with quote
.....That's not right, and you guys know it....FB=card game? NO Anime hyper That is a petty attempt at trying to get more money. Seriously, that's not right. I like FB but...no.....
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Don't pan it till you played it. I was given the demo at Otakon and I came away impressed. It's a game about relationships and that's unique.
anime_junkie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:04 pm Reply with quote
*pfft*
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!
That's ridiculous. But I'm still gonna buy it 'cause I'm a furuba fanatic.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:31 pm Reply with quote
... that's a little weird. I've never heard of a card game based on romance before... interesting, but every little anime now is like coming out with a card game, so I don't even bother gettin' 'em unless it's a show I adore too much for my own good. (I wish they released the Cowboy Bebop cards here)
coolGAL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Ok i am not trying to diss it but this is the lamest attempt to make a anime card game ever i mean come you have got to be kidding me Anime hyper Mr. Green Anime catgrin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
taconinja

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:07 pm Reply with quote
When I first read those words, there were 3 letters that were broght to mind: WTF. It's a minute later, and I'm still pondering over that one statement. Dude, that's just.. weird. Just today I was thinking about card games. It seems like everything nowadays has a card game. Zatch Bell, FMA, Case Closed, Yu Yu, DBZ, Inu, Fruits Basket, Gundam (kinda), and more. Long story short: this is just weird, although I will be buying at least one deck, so I guess I fell for their weird marketing device. CURSES!!! (it's awesome that it comes with a poker deck of cards)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
You know what they should have done? Do what ADV did with Noir and release REGULAR cards with the anime on it. Like this: http://www.advfilms.com/catalog/originalimages/Playing%20Cards.jpg
THIS makes more sense. Anime hyper
midori kou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I personally don't think it'll succeed that well, but who knows. They should make a Furuba dating sim video game than a card game if they really want fangirls' money. >=D
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if there actually was a Furuba sim, but you're better off winning parents over with cards.

I still say this is ridculous. I had enough trouble comprehending the concept behing the FMA card game.
coolGAL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:55 am Reply with quote
OMG ADV has a toy line i never knew that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Fuyu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:05 am Reply with quote
They HAVE already made fruit basket regular playing cards my friend has a deck, though really-it's weird, how many cards are there anyways? 14?
Joshman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:30 am Reply with quote
From what I have seen, they are regular playing cards but have some modifications in order to incorporate the Fruits Basket theme and game. IE: you can play hold 'em, egyptian ratscrew, and capitalism with them.

I am curious if instructions on how to playRich Man/Poor Man would be included, since they play that in the FB dub a few times.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:43 am Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
.....That's not right, and you guys know it....FB=card game? NO Anime hyper That is a petty attempt at trying to get more money. Seriously, that's not right. I like FB but...no.....

Well, it's not April....
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:44 am Reply with quote
Joshman wrote:
From what I have seen, they are regular playing cards but have some modifications in order to incorporate the Fruits Basket theme and game. IE: you can play hold 'em, egyptian ratscrew, and capitalism with them.

I am curious if instructions on how to playRich Man/Poor Man would be included, since they play that in the FB dub a few times.

Didn't they steal that mechanic from Deadlands, a CCG based in the Wild West w/ Paranormal effects?
Joshman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:56 am Reply with quote
It's more of a design than a mechanic, and Deadlands was an actual TCG so you'd have to make some effort to get up to a 52-card playing card deck if that is what you wanted. As to who borrowed what idea from where, I could not say.

I think of FB as something along the lines of an UNO deck. You need that deck to play the card game on the cover, but you can play other games/variants with that deck as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2