• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tamako Market Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

That's not helping your point. You're basically saying "otaku don't buy anything with substance".

I'm saying that pulling somewhat of a bait and switch by marketing this as the exact same team which brought about K-ON doing an original IP and having it consist of a retro family show feel with relatively little of the content which otaku enjoyed K-ON for was not a recipe for financial success.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

If Tamako Market was just Tamako and her friends hanging out at the baton club then it probably would have sold much more.

But then that doesn't explain why Yuyushiki only sold 2K on its first volume. IMO, K-ON! was such a huge success because it hooked people on the premise of an all-girl high school rock band. That's how I got interested in K-ON! until I found out the show actually has very little to do with music.

As for the review, I agree Tamako Market didn't really seemed that focused. And the most interesting part of the story only gets half-way there.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
Or they should have stuck to animating Little Busters! ...yeah I went there Laughing

Seconded JC staff did a horrible job with it.
the last kyo ani show I actually watched was hyouka,
which got to be a very good show that I really liked, However the first 8 or so episodes before the start of the movie club case I think I dropped it 3 times and the only reason I picked it back up the last time was because I had my mystery anime panel and I figured people would ask me about it so I mini Marathoned past episode 5.

The last kyo ani show I watched without dropping was clannad but considering it's now been 3-4 years since I started it and I am still on episode 2 of after story......yay I have had a slightly better track record with haruhi which I am fine not hearing from again.

Kyōkai no Kanata looks interesting but I am not holding out hope for it, Honestly I just want more full metal panic A Dancing Very Merry Christmas movie would be really nice.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

If Tamako Market was just Tamako and her friends hanging out at the baton club then it probably would have sold much more.

But then that doesn't explain why Yuyushiki only sold 2K on its first volume.

Yuyushiki had no hype. Kinema Citrus, the production studio behind Yuyushiki, is almost completely unknown. It was the directorial debut for Kaori who had only been an episode director and animator on a few previous projects. The manga Yuyushiki probably sells less than 20,000 copies (it has never ranked once on any sales chart).

I think you can understand why such comparison is downright silly.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
halochief_90 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Yuyushiki had no hype. Kinema Citrus (the production studio) behind Yuyushiki is almost completely unknown. It was the directorial debut for Kaori who had only been an episode director and animator on a few previous projects. The manga Yuyushiki probably sells less than 20,000 copies (it has never ranked once on any sales chart).

Sorry but I have to agree this show is pretty moe and is a series that should have sold well. I personally think it didn't because whenever kyoani doesn't do exactly what they have in the past with a slight change the fan boys flip and they are tired of it so they just want to PO them and get them away from them because they are tired of them and their "identity". good luck with free!! and accomplishing that creating a new image thing is all I can say because I highly doubt the fan boys will let you.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
I'm just going to say it: The Bird killed the show. It would have been much more enjoyable to me if that entire part of the show was cut.

But I'm not one of those "Kyoani is dead" people, I'm very much looking forward to the next Chunibyo; hell, I'll probably wind up enjoying Free! more then TM.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:26 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
halochief_90 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Yuyushiki had no hype. Kinema Citrus (the production studio) behind Yuyushiki is almost completely unknown. It was the directorial debut for Kaori who had only been an episode director and animator on a few previous projects. The manga Yuyushiki probably sells less than 20,000 copies (it has never ranked once on any sales chart).

Sorry but I have to agree this show is pretty moe and is a series that should have sold well. I personally think it didn't because whenever kyoani doesn't do exactly what they have in the past with a slight change the fan boys flip and they are tired of it so they just want to PO them and get them away from them because they are tired of them and their "identity". good luck with free!! and accomplishing that creating a new image thing is all I can say because I highly doubt the fan boys will let you.

It's more shoujo than moe. And boy, you're negative.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:49 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I personally think it didn't because whenever kyoani doesn't do exactly what they have in the past with a slight change the fan boys flip and they are tired of it so they just want to PO them and get them away from them because they are tired of them and their "identity". good luck with free!! and accomplishing that creating a new image thing is all I can say because I highly doubt the fan boys will let you.

Um I think maybe the point of doing Free is to expand their costumer base. Maybe the popularity of K-On! among females helped kyoani to realize there is another gender out there with money also. So what if they upset a few fan boys you don't think that their will be fan girls willing to buy it instead? I'm sure the fan boys will come crawling back when Kyoani decides to do another cute moe girls doing cute things show for them.
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:55 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
It's more shoujo than moe.

No offence, but this makes very little sense. Shoujo is a demographic, and Tamako Market - being aired in the middle of the night being a testament to this - is markedly not shoujo. It's seinen, being bland and inoffensive doesn't negate that. Like K-On! it might well have some appeal to girls, but it's absolutely a seinen title. It's also inarguably a moe series, what with all the nonsexual focus on cute girls and their interactions and their pleasant, innocent personalities and quirks.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:56 am Reply with quote
050795 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I personally think it didn't because whenever kyoani doesn't do exactly what they have in the past with a slight change the fan boys flip and they are tired of it so they just want to PO them and get them away from them because they are tired of them and their "identity". good luck with free!! and accomplishing that creating a new image thing is all I can say because I highly doubt the fan boys will let you.

Um I think maybe the point of doing Free is to expand their costumer base. Maybe the popularity of K-On! among females helped kyoani to realize there is another gender out there with money also. So what if they upset a few fan boys you don't think that their will be fan girls willing to buy it instead? I'm sure the fan boys will come crawling back when Kyoani decides to do another cute moe girls doing cute things show for them.

Exactly. The most zealous and rabid otaku fanboys are crying blood now and swearing never to touch anything KyoAni again, but come Chu2Koi S2 they'll soon forget about it and take out their wallets in the blink of an eye
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:25 am Reply with quote
How is there even people wondering whether this show is moe or not?

What I loved about this show though, was that while it was so inoffensively sweet that I should probably be tested for diabetes, it was intelligent too. There was the more emotional moments, such as the episode focusing on Tamako's tsundere father's past with his wife, the total acceptance of Midori having romantic feelings for Tamako and Kaoru possibly being transgender. Also, Kunio (the record store owner) and his little seeds of wisdom, as well as his ability to just know when to play the perfect song. The final episodes also having the moral that Tamako should do what she wants to do as well. On the outside, it may look like a cute sweet, but on the inside it had a very mature flavour as well.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:34 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
It's more shoujo than moe.

No offence, but this makes very little sense. Shoujo is a demographic, and Tamako Market - being aired in the middle of the night being a testament to this - is markedly not shoujo. It's seinen, being bland and inoffensive doesn't negate that. Like K-On! it might well have some appeal to girls, but it's absolutely a seinen title. It's also inarguably a moe series, what with all the nonsexual focus on cute girls and their interactions and their pleasant, innocent personalities and quirks.

But Moe does have a sexual nature. Anime cry So any series that airs in the middle of the night isn't aimed at women? What about Noitamina. Razz
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:57 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
But Moe does have a sexual nature.

It can, or it can go hand-in-hand with it. It is not implicit.
zeo1fan wrote:
So any series that airs in the middle of the night isn't aimed at women?

The demographic shoujo means for girls. Minors. Unlike manga where there's a specific demographic implicit, it can be hard to classify anime but there's no reason to think Tamako Market is a work primarily intended for girls 10-18 and every reason to think that it is a work primarily intended for young adult males. It could have crossover appeal with the josei demographic, but it's not very similar to many josei and fewer shoujo works, and is directly comparable to many seinen works (most obviously K-On!, which, before you ask, was serialised in two seinen magazines, Manga Time Kirara and Manga Time Kirara Carat).

But the main point is that moe and shoujo are not on the same level of categorisation at all. Moe is like humour or action: an element that can build genre. Shoujo is a demographic: a way of categorising the audience for which it is intended.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:58 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
That's not helping your point. You're basically saying "otaku don't buy anything with substance".

One would be wrong using that criteria too

Megiddo wrote:
Exactly, Tamako Market attempted to stray from the moe schtick by having the bird, the marketplace people, Tamako's family, etc. If Tamako Market was just Tamako and her friends hanging out at the baton club then it probably would have sold much more.

Except there are many and constant counter-examples to your point. Nichijou did terrible. Acchi Kocchi is also moe and is significantly less substantial story-wise and just about light airy humor and did worse.

Same with GJ-bu, which I loved, btw. GJ-bu is significantly MORE moe, with heavy concentration of female characters and only one male character, practically non-existent plot, just hanging out and it did worse: 2,810 BD copies avg.

Upotte, nothing but girls, both moe and this time with ecchi, did even worse! 1,269 BD copies.

On the other hand, moe shows that were substantial, countering the point about shows about "nothing" DID do well, like Girls und Panzer: 32,061 BD copies avg.

Other shows that were expected to do well also did terrible like Natsuiro Kiseki, and the list goes on and on. Heck, people have been entirely misled by Amazon preorder rankings. 2000 people lining up to buy a show could be the only 2000 that ever buys it.

Megiddo wrote:
Yuyushiki had no hype. Kinema Citrus, the production studio behind Yuyushiki, is almost completely unknown. It was the directorial debut for Kaori who had only been an episode director and animator on a few previous projects. The manga Yuyushiki probably sells less than 20,000 copies (it has never ranked once on any sales chart).

How do you explain other series that did have hype + famous authors + the source material doing well enough, but still bombing?

Medaka Box = 756 BD copies avg
Medaka Box Abnormal = 607 BD copies avg
Zero no Tsukaima F = 693 DVD + 1,582 BD copies avg

Other famous franchises like Queen's Blade are also not doing well in video sales too, with QB Rebellion at 1,038 DVD + 2,333 BD .. though to be fair, QB has merchandise support.

But then some unknown, original productions, end up being surprises: Guilty Crown at 1,671 DVD + 6,017 BD.

And who would've guessed total unknown, French collab (for the CG), music idol Symphogear at 4,859 DVD+BD copies would match famous music idol franchise AKB0048 at 4,884 DVD+BD copies?

So coming back to Tamako Market, unless you're psychic, trying to guess what every potential moe and/or slice-of-life buyer is thinking to rationalize sales figures after the fact is really just grasping for straws.

However, I'd be seriously impressed if you could predict the hits and misses
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:36 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
But Moe does have a sexual nature.

It can, or it can go hand-in-hand with it. It is not implicit.
zeo1fan wrote:
So any series that airs in the middle of the night isn't aimed at women?

The demographic shoujo means for girls. Minors. Unlike manga where there's a specific demographic implicit, it can be hard to classify anime but there's no reason to think Tamako Market is a work primarily intended for girls 10-18 and every reason to think that it is a work primarily intended for young adult males. It could have crossover appeal with the josei demographic, but it's not very similar to many josei and fewer shoujo works, and is directly comparable to many seinen works (most obviously K-On!, which, before you ask, was serialised in two seinen magazines, Manga Time Kirara and Manga Time Kirara Carat).

But the main point is that moe and shoujo are not on the same level of categorisation at all. Moe is like humour or action: an element that can build genre. Shoujo is a demographic: a way of categorising the audience for which it is intended.

If it wasn't a genre before, KyoAni certainly turned it into one. I know the dif between genre and demographic. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4