• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tamako Market Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I've personally never found Reiko Yoshida's writing to be all that substantive. Tokyo Mew Mew is the only thing I can think of that had a steady conflict and it was essentially just a plastic copy of Sailor Moon.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the K-ON team of KyoAni bit more than they can chew when they're given an opportunity to produce an original series. They definitely had a lot of ideas, and I haven't see this type of love triangle since freakin' Kannazuki no Miko.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
The bird pretty much almost single-handedly ruined this series for me. Choi was pretty much useless as well. Heck, the whole prince subplot was where I thought Tamako Market was at its weakest. When it was just Tamako trying to get more people to come to the shopping district by various means is where I think the series really shined personally.
smashwagon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Tamako Market was pure bliss for me, through and through. Other people were upset by its "lack of story" but that was a key ingredient. The show was about the market, and people's boring but sweet lives. It was how little things can provide self satisfaction and joy.

I agree that the prince subplot was the worst aspect of the show, as Tamako already had multiple romantic interests and did not need another. I wish we could have had more episodes about the various side characters that lived in Bunny Mountain. The best episode was likely Anko's crush, though the dad's band episode was really well done (and provided some nice history). Kanna was a riot in just about every scene, Dera had a lot of funny moments too, and really this show just telegraphed happiness into my heart.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I found the show to be a step above K-on in that it didn't quite bore me but I'm still sort of nuetral to it. I think I' opposite side of the coin to some viewers where I mostly enjoyed Dera and didn't think much of Tamako and friend's antics(I did find the townspeople oddly funny though). Sure there were moments that I thought shined but overall I just found it to be Ok at best.

I also should have realized that spoiler['side plot' with choosing a princess would go absolutly no where.]
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loved Tamako Market (as did my younger brother) - in fact, I was so happy that, when at London Comic Con, I found a hardback animation art book, which I happily snapped up.

My only complaint with the series was its inability to resolve its story. spoiler[It became blatantly obvious that Choi was not only in love with the Prince, but was his intended bride (her choker obviously covering a mole). Also, what about the Tamako-Midori-Mochizou love triangle?].

I do think your description of a couple of the characters missed the mark though though:
Quote:
Kanna is cute as the soft-spoken girl with a fetish for measuring and manufacturing, but little else.

Let's just totally forget the scheming and dark humour she possesses as well? Such as going through recipes on how to prepare poultry to threaten Dera, or the whole haunted house episode. Also, I don't think "fetish" is the right word - it's more, an obsession.

Quote:
from the possibly-cross-dressing florist

I'd say "cross dressing" doesn't really sum up Kaoru's character. Kaoru certainly does dress like a female, yet is voiced by a male seiyu, but as even Kyoto Animation haven't specified Kaoru's gender, it seems likely to me that Kaoru is transgender, as opposed to merely being a cross dresser. Aside from splitting hairs about the term used, I think it's worth a mention that the show doesn't raise any issue whatsoever about it - if Kaoru is indeed a transgender man, no one in the show even so much as mentions it and just accepts it as normal (as they did with Midori's affections towards Tamako).

Quote:
It seems unlikely to happen, however.

How did the series sell in Japan? I'd really love a season 2, namely for the reasons stated in this review - resolution to the untied plot threads. In fact, I'd even love a "Kanna Market" spin off, focusing on Kanna xD.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:

How did the series sell in Japan? I'd really love a season 2, namely for the reasons stated in this review - resolution to the untied plot threads. In fact, I'd even love a "Kanna Market" spin off, focusing on Kanna xD.

Just around 4k. Which for any other studio would be fine, but for KyoAni it's one of their lowest-selling titles.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:

How did the series sell in Japan?

very poorly. ANN BD sales articles report volume 2 selling under 3000, same for vol 3
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:

How did the series sell in Japan?

very poorly. ANN BD sales articles report volume 2 selling under 3000, same for vol 3

See, this is why we keep getting moeshit, because the damn otakus keep bu..y . .. oh wait
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

See, this is why we keep getting moeshit, because the damn otakus keep bu..y . .. oh wait

Exactly, Tamako Market attempted to stray from the moe schtick by having the bird, the marketplace people, Tamako's family, etc. If Tamako Market was just Tamako and her friends hanging out at the baton club then it probably would have sold much more.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Cute girls and heavy machinery is the new hotness. Tamako was just bland and dull, easily a 1.5x speed watch.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm a huge fan of K-On, but this show was pretty bad. At least the studio went to hell before the swimming anime was announced or else I would have been even more disappointed
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Or they should have stuck to animating Little Busters! ...yeah I went there Laughing
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Quote:
Exactly, Tamako Market attempted to stray from the moe schtick by having the bird, the marketplace people, Tamako's family, etc. If Tamako Market was just Tamako and her friends hanging out at the baton club then it probably would have sold much more.

That's not helping your point. You're basically saying "otaku don't buy anything with substance".
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
This review basically says what I think about Tamako Market, but a bit more charitably. My personal reaction was far more negative: there's sweet and light and then there's boring and empty. I thought the humour sucked, the characters were lame and one-dimensional and the individual episodes were mostly bad. There were a few good ones, though, mainly the first Midori one and the one with Tamako's dad. It was well-written, but there was bugger all to write well outside of some episodes. Dera's narration was annoying and unnecessary.
Quote:
cute enough to put a smile on the grinchiest of faces

Well, unless you didn't like the show, in which case you're probably not going to smile at it.

Regarding Dera, who was probably the most remarkable element in the show, I didn't like him in the first episode, where everything I discussed above hadn't put me off it yet - but Dera looked like he was starting to. In the end I would up kind of liking him but in the first episode especially he was unfunny and annoying. I thought his role in the show made it more interesting overall, though (the same can't be said for Choi and the prince and any of that crap).

Ryu Shoji wrote:
Quote:
from the possibly-cross-dressing florist

I'd say "cross dressing" doesn't really sum up Kaoru's character. Kaoru certainly does dress like a female, yet is voiced by a male seiyu, but as even Kyoto Animation haven't specified Kaoru's gender, it seems likely to me that Kaoru is transgender, as opposed to merely being a cross dresser. Aside from splitting hairs about the term used, I think it's worth a mention that the show doesn't raise any issue whatsoever about it - if Kaoru is indeed a transgender man, no one in the show even so much as mentions it and just accepts it as normal (as they did with Midori's affections towards Tamako).

Yeah, this was the thing in the series that I respected the most. It was refreshing to see, and I'm not even a bleeding-heart liberal nut.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4