• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Autographs.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YUSUKE URAMESHl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Hello all, as a long time anime fan and convention attendant, I am curious if anyone else enjoys getting things signed at Anime Cons?

For me, meeting the cast is one of the main reasons I attend. And I have loved my ever growing collection of autographs from many of my favorite titles over the years. So what all does everyone collect? Or what con experience meeting a voice actor did you really enjoy most?

Have you ever met a voice actor who really made your day? Or ever meet one who sadly was a prick?

And has anyone ever gotten in contact with voice actors themselves through the mail for autographs? If so, how did that go?

This is a thread to share your autograph/voice actor meeting experiences.
Enjoy!
Kiniest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I met Christine Cabanos at a convention, once. She was a pretty nice person, and pretty cute, too. She signed two of my Madoka DVDs. One DVD is still not signed to this day.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I love getting VA autographs. I live in Toronto, so basically the only chances I get to do this are during Anime North and FanExpo.

I've gone to two Monica Rial signings and I just love her. She's always so friendly, energetic and joking around. I got her to sign my Moonphase set and some other stuff. When I told her I loved her performance in Ghost Stories as Momoko ("Have you accepted Jesus as your personal saviour?") she said she enjoyed that one but her mom wasn't too thrilled with the role. Laughing

Brittney Karbowski is cute as a button and just a tiny little thing. I got a picture of me standing next to her - she barely came to my armpit (I'm 6'6''). She was really friendly, too. I think I got her to sign a blank card that I slipped into my Gilgamesh stakpak.

I really enjoyed meeting the Ayres brothers (Christopher and Greg) who were both at Anime North a few years back (the same year as Brittney, actually). I had Christopher autograph my Gantz set with my favourite line from the show, "Cock-a-doodle-doo, m-th-rf-ck-r!" Laughing

Last year Wendee Lee gave a great talk at FanExpo which I attended and then lined up for her autograph session. Got a picture with her, too.

Yep, a big fan of the autograph thing.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I met few of them before like Kana Hanazawa, but I don't ask autographs. I don't need people's signatures. It has no meaning to me.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
When I first started going to dedicated anime 'cons in the early 2000s I got a bit into having DVD covers autographed by the VAs for the character featured on the cover; I have one Steel Angel Kurumi cover featuring Saki signed by Monica Rial that way, a couple of NGE covers signed by Tristan MacAvery and someone else from the original dub cast, and something else somewhere signed by Chris Patton. Never have been a big autograph person, though, so I never kept it up. I find it sufficiently rewarding just see them in person and get to set in on interviews with them, such as witrh Brad Swaile this year at Anime Central this year and Stephanie Sheh and Colleen Clinkenbeard (one of my all-time fave VAs) last year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I live in a small town in Kentucky so you can imagine we don't get too many conventions where I live. Thankfully I live an hour away from Evansville's "Eville Con" and Paducah's "OMG Con" and at those two conventions alone I have had the pleasure of meeting quiet a few Voice Actors and Actresses. All of them have been very nice,

I think the pride of my collection though would be my green Hetalia bandanna which is signed by Eric Vale (The ever so awesome Mr. America and Canada he also played Trunks in Dragon Ball Z), Chris Cason (Holy Rome), Josh Grelle (Lithuania) and Chuck Hubor (Austria) . But they aren't the only Voice Actors I've met, "OMG Con" has had a tradition for the last three years now of getting Ricki Simmons who used to play "Gir" from Nickelodeons old show "Invader Zim" so it's cool meeting one of your hero's growing up. I've had the pleasure of meeting Greg Ayres who played one of the Hitachiin twins from Ouran High School Host Club, (he's an absolute sweet heart!) And Tiffany Grant as well (Kaorin from Azumanga Daioh, Asuka from Evangelion, and a lot of other small cute rolls.) But yeah, the voice actors are all very nice, and I have to say considering I've only been to three different conventions and only two of them had Voice actors I must say I have a pretty nice collection that I am proud to show off on my Manga Shelf. Mr. Green

Last edited by yotsubafanfan on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote
The first autographs I ever got was at We Heart Japan in 2011, it was a Charity event started by Stephanie Sheh in Los Angeles for the 2011 earthquake. I got a lot of VAs autographs there. Been going to Anime Expo every year since then too, and some other anime related events that happen around every so often

Some of my personal favorites of my autograph collection are:

Cowboy Bebop signed by all the main dub cast (minus Skip Stellrecht/Vicious)

Kannagi signed by the Director (I thought this show was just okay. I like it more cause I won it in a raffle)

Haruhi Suzumiya season 1 signed by all the main dub cast (Minus JYB, which I plan to fix at AX this year)

A Chihayafuru picture I printed out myself signed by the director, animation director, and producer

A Rightstuf ad of Nadesico signed by Tatsuo Sato.

A Panty and Stocking poster and DVD boxset signed by the main dub cast

A Madoka poster signed by the dub cast (minus Cristina Vee).

I got a bunch of other stuff, too, but these are some of the more "stand out" ones in my eye. Hope to get a bunch more this year too at AX Very Happy
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote
When I first started attending conventions, autographs weren't a high priority to me. I was just kind of getting the hang of the convention thing having started on them late. The first convention I attended was Anime Expo 2005, and I was already 28 by that point, a bit older than the majority demographic which seems to be mid teens to early 20's. What got me going was in 2007 at Anime Expo I attended a panel that I think was a precursor to the Mangagamer panel. It featured artists from Circus, and they were hyping their upcoming VN, Da Capo II. At the end of the panel they had a drawing to get autographed sketches from the artists of the character they worked on. I think almost everyone in the room got the opportunity, but it still felt really good when my number was chosen. I got a signed sketch of Yume Asakura by her artist Natsuki Tanihara.

My next autograph didn't come until 2009, and that's when I really started getting into it. It was at Otakon, and I got the signature of Kikuko Inoue, the voice of Belldandy. Also at that convention I got the autograph of Yutaka Yamamoto, or Yamakan, on the first volume of Kannagi which had just been released in the US.

2010 was pretty busy for autographs. First off, at Anime Boston, I got the autograph of Nobuo Uematsu, the man best known for the music of Final Fantasy. Then at Anime Expo I got the autographs of Yuu Asakawa (Rider from Fate/Stay night), Yui Horie, and Eri Kitamura.

2011 was a blank year, having only attended Anime Boston and not really feeling the desire to get an autograph from anyone that year.

2012 while I did attend both AB and AX, I only got one autograph, Halko Momoi's at AB. Still, she seemed thrilled that I brought the DVD of Nurse Witch Komugi to get signed. Perhaps I was one of the few people that remembered and rather liked that show.

This year I've attended Anime Boston and I got the autographs of Tomohiko Ito and Shinichiro Kashiwada, the director and producer respectively of Sword Art Online. I also got Bryce Papenbrook's and Cherami Leigh's autographs, but that was because they were a package deal with those other two who I really wanted. I'll be going to Otakon later this year where I hope to get Yoko Kanno's autograph, assuming she'll be having an autograph session. If I don't, it's not the end of the world, but it would be really cool to get that.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I had an interesting autograph experience with Carrie Savage. I had her autograph the cover of a Stellvia DVD, but realized that the black marker she used didn't show up well because the color of the paper was too dark. So then she used a silver marker and tried to write on top of where she just signed. But the marker was low on ink and looked really spotty. So she told me I could come back the next day when she found a new silver marker. I came back and got a good autograph and message, unfortunately cover of the DVD looks really messy now, but hey I got Carrie Savage to autograph my DVD 3 times!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:24 am Reply with quote
Oh yes, I will wait in huge lines to get something signed by a person I truly admire. Smile

Many years back I found a giant Chrono Crusade promo poster and got Greg Aryes to sign that. Greg is really cool-he loves to go to smaller cons and hang out with other fans because he's a giant fanboy himself.

Other autographs I got were Nana Kitade (SHE IS SO CUTE), Chemistry, Seki Tomokazu (I got him to sign my chibi Kyou drawing because I had nothing else!) and at Afest last year, I got Arina Tanemura to sign Full Moon dvds, posters, etc. I even received an autographed drawing of Takuto and could have died happy that day. Anime hyper
http://s300.photobucket.com/user/Chiibi_album/media/takutoonwall_zps6d603da0.jpg.html
lol

But I have also had many failed attempts for signs....and couldn't get them. Anime cry IT SUCKS SO BAD.

Failed attempts: Aya Hirano, Koge-Donbo, and Kappei Yamaguchi.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I'd probably have hanged myself if I tried and failed to get Aya "Cutey-Patooty-Pie" Hirano's siggy.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'd probably have hanged myself if I tried and failed to get Aya "Cutey-Patooty-Pie" Hirano's siggy.

OH, RUB IT IN, BLOOD. ;____;

But yeah.........I was SO close......Anime cry

I DID get to see her concert hurhurhur.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
That puts you well ahead of me. To have seen her in the flesh...

*seethes with inexpressible jealousy*
Vapors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
Man, autograph hunting. My biggest pastime in all the years of attending cons. I've been going to Comic Con as a kid and started this my first year going. I have been to Anime Expo once and Fanime a couple of times, but Comic Con has been my biggest go-to for sigs. Used to be during the hey days (2000-2005) anime and manga companies had some of the biggest booths, largest giveaways and could be counted on to bring some guests. Got a lot of great ones. I don't normally like getting CDs, DVDs or posters signed since for my media, they go on my shelf and you can't see the sig or in the case of posters, while I will keep them hanged up for a little while, they eventually get brought down and replaced with something else. I have always kept an autograph/sketchbook and they actually help jog my memory with details of when I met people (I have terrible memory). While some signings require a poster or other media to be signed, 90% of the time, I also get a sig in my autograph book.

My earliest memories was getting getting an autograph from Ikue Kimura who was there to announce for the first time an anime series called Real Bout High School. I recall this being a big deal since it marked the first time a title was announced in America. Not just licensed, but this actually hadn't been shown in Japan yet. This was the announcement to the series.

Another time I remember when Trigun first got released in the US. No one knew anything about this series, so when I went to the Pioneer booth, a rep asked if I wanted to meet the creator and lead voice actor. I had no idea about this but I figured, sure why not. Go upstairs and there, with only a couple people in line was Yasuhiro Nightow and the second black power ranger and first time voice actor Johnny Yong Bosch. They were really cool, got some sigs on cards and a big 8X10 they had. Now, both guys always have lines whenever they sign. But back then, I had no idea how big this show would get.

Got a lot of great sketches from manga artists like Tohru Fujisawa (GTO), Yuji Shiozaki (Ikki Tousen) and Kia Asamiya (Nadesico and Silent Möbius). Getting sketches from character designers and manga artists are a rarity for me since they generally don't come to Comic Con that often. My fix is usually with Fanime.

In 2008, I scored both Tite Kubo's autograph and while promoting a relatively unknown manga series (to me) called Fairy Tail, Hiro Mashima. Both were night and day in terms of how to get tickets to their signings. Viz required you to purchase a hard cover copy of volume 1 of Bleach, but only for the first 50 a day. Literally, I kept getting shut out each day despite arriving earlier and earlier. Finally I just got in line at like 5 am and was just able to make it. For Mashima, you only had to buy volumes 1 and 2. Compared to Kubo, where packs of fans would rush up to try to buy the book, there were no crowds or rush to buy the books for Mashima. For both, they signed specially drawn shikishi for the event. I got both specially framed and both hang on my wall to this day.

Because I only go to Comic Con and not to Anime Expo or Fanime on a regular basis, I have only met a couple of Japanese voice actors. The main one is Toru Furuya (Tuxedo Mask, Amuro Ray). He is a ball of energy. He did voices of all his notable characters and even recited lines suggested by the audience.

I have just about met every major English VA, though. I remember when he was promoting Hellsing, Crispin Freeman was cosplaying as Alucard. This was another case, where you could just walk up to him and get a sig and chat with him for a bit. Now? He probably garners a crowd wherever he is signing. Another time I got a poster and my book signed by the English cast of K-on. This after they did a mini concert of english translated songs from the series. They even cosplayed as the characters. Yuri Lowenthal is a regular at Comic Con as is Tara Platt. Both are pretty funny and are really into meeting their fans. Steve Blum, I've met a lot. Despite all the notable roles and now big television spots like Wolverine and TOM, he's really humble and nice to talk to.

I cannot ever recall a bad autograph signing session by any anime or manga related person. I've been lucky. Any sig I wanted, I ahve been able to get. Sometimes it involves some perseverance and a little good ole luck. Wish I could go to Anime Expo. There are a couple of Japanese guests that intrigue me, but the timing so close to Comic Con forces me to save my money. I plan on going to Japan Expo and so far they one person I wouldn't mind meeting and hopefully they get more.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
That puts you well ahead of me. To have seen her in the flesh...

*seethes with inexpressible jealousy*

Come to more cons, bro.:'D
I'm sure you'll see her someday!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2