• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animator's Salaries

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm not the least bit surprised by this. The ten hour (or more) work days are rather vile considering the pay, but life isn't easy. Animation is definitely cheaper overseas, because I see so many Western cartoons with Koreans named under the animation section. I suppose a higher cost of animation would increase the cost for us, and I doubt most companies want to spend more licencing. With anime becoming more popular around the world, it either means the pay will remain the same, but more people are hired, or the pay is higher because the companies begin making more money.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Some how I am not surprised its been that way in the art industry in general for like ever(starving artist...) I know its hard for people to beleive that some one can live on $8000.00 a year but I do often. You definately can not live by your self and you will not be able to get some of the things you want. The key to frugle living is to take care of what you allready own and find stuff used on sale. There are ways to make it work but not easy ways. I feel for my fellow brothers and sisters across the ocean I hope they get better compansation in the futur.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:37 am Reply with quote
I agree $8000 a year is very low for an animator. I sure a lot of animators didn't want to take the poll because they fear they might get fired.

I'm trying to get my foot in the door as an artist in Japan. I live with a family member so all the money will be sent to the States.

As long as your name is in the credits it will be all worth. Step by step.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:59 am Reply with quote
this isn't just the animation industry either, these kinda wages are surprisingly common. i was just reading that a lot of stars in hit tvs hows like Yukie Nakama for example(Gokusen), make about 2 million yen(around $16,000.00) an episode. there's something really wrong with that.

does this have to do with the economic slump or something?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:37 am Reply with quote
You have much to learn about the world. Also, the words "Cheap living space" and "Japan" would never match up unless interrupted by "is impossible to find".
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:34 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
this isn't just the animation industry either, these kinda wages are surprisingly common. i was just reading that a lot of stars in hit tvs hows like Yukie Nakama for example(Gokusen), make about 2 million yen(around $16,000.00) an episode. there's something really wrong with that.

What's wrong with that? Unless you think she's being paid too much, and I might agree to that. Other countries don't spoil their celebrities as much as America does. I don't see any problem with those numbers, and wouldn't care if they were lower. In fact, I applaud that she gets paid so little - because she really isn't working that hard. One episode is proably only a day of filming - she makes 16,000 dollars in a day, whereas some people work an entire year to earn that much. Actors/actresses (and athletes, while we're at it) in the states are disgustingly overpaid. 1 million dollars each for a single episode of Friends? That's ridiculous.

Sorry, totally off-topic...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mako

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

In Japan, entertainment people, called Geinoujin, such as singers, actors, MCs, TV talents, etc., do not make much money compared to the US show-biz people. Every year, top taxpayers in Japan are announced and this year, the top taxpayer in the entertainment business was Hikaru Utada, I think, a singer who paid about $3.2 million in taxes. Based on this tax amount, her earnings for 2004 was calculated to be about $8.7 million.

Now, Utada was the top among all the entertainment people, including movie stars, and she earned only $8.7 million. This is probably less than a so-so popular US movie star’s earning per movie, and it is not because of the recession. As someone who was born and grew up in Japan, it is sort of embarrassing, but I cannot explain why those people don’t get paid as much as the US stars, but their earnings have been always like that.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
v1cious wrote:

What's wrong with that? Unless you think she's being paid too much, and I might agree to that. Other countries don't spoil their celebrities as much as America does. I don't see any problem with those numbers, and wouldn't care if they were lower. In fact, I applaud that she gets paid so little - because she really isn't working that hard. One episode is proably only a day of filming - she makes 16,000 dollars in a day, whereas some people work an entire year to earn that much. Actors/actresses (and athletes, while we're at it) in the states are disgustingly overpaid. 1 million dollars each for a single episode of Friends? That's ridiculous.

well take into consideration living costs, and special stuff they have to pay for(management, promotion, etc.) and that isn't very much. i mean what's the point? you might as well be working in an office or something.
remember love

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:59 am Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
v1cious wrote:

They make there money because they earned it. There not spoiled brats being handed down money from rich parents. The show for "Friends" makes money and so the actors get paid for it. Now animation directors I do hate the idea they get paid so little but it is there choice to do this kind of work. Don't get me wrong I love the work they do and hate to see them go but like I said it's there choice.

And as far as the sports comment goes......there in dangerous work for one. Two, people find it very entertaining and just like just like the show "Friends" they watch it constant they earn that money and they all choose to do these jobs. Three, when film was first coming out one of the first items being shown was fights (I remember this from a documentory), just makes since to me that sports would get alot of money since it's been around for a very long time and is still going strong. Also, America in my opinion is the strongest when it comes to filming and television.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3