• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2005-11-04]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:22 am Reply with quote
Okay, I haven't finished reading the column but just want to hit this right away...

In Japan, The deal with Chrno Crusade was, as far as I can recall, conflicts with Square's Chrono series of games. Seriously, compare Crusade's and Cross's logos sometime, and it'd make perfect sense that an issue would come up.

Now, I haven't managed to find any actual articles from back then, so this is relying on (possibly faulty) memory, but I seem to recall that when the series was first announced in Japan, it was "Chrono". However, then Square had a bone to pick with that because of the similarity to their game titles (and understandably so), so shortly thereafter it was altered to "Chrno" to try to avoid some of that conflict.

When ADV picked it up, they changed the title back to "Chrono" on the stated reasoning that people would think "Chrno" is a typo. Never mind that all the eyecatches in the episodes still have the original Japanese version. *rolls eyes* Also, it IS easily confused with the Square games, which are fairly well-known Stateside, too. I talked to someone just the other day in anime club who apparently had been confused by the similar titles.

However, whatever the reason, I don't think "Chrno" was a spelling error as you reported in the column.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:30 am Reply with quote
Hey, I'll draw the up those club ads...I've been looking for commission work lately... Cool

And while we're at it, I agree, the Tactics dvd artwork is gorgeous.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:42 am Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:

My sources say otherwise. I'm going with what my sources told me.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:44 am Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
Okay, I haven't finished reading the column but just want to hit this right away...

In Japan, The deal with Chrno Crusade was, as far as I can recall, conflicts with Square's Chrono series of games. Seriously, compare Crusade's and Cross's logos sometime, and it'd make perfect sense that an issue would come up.

Now, I haven't managed to find any actual articles from back then, so this is relying on (possibly faulty) memory, but I seem to recall that when the series was first announced in Japan, it was "Chrono". However, then Square had a bone to pick with that because of the similarity to their game titles (and understandably so), so shortly thereafter it was altered to "Chrno" to try to avoid some of that conflict.

When ADV picked it up, they changed the title back to "Chrono" on the stated reasoning that people would think "Chrno" is a typo. Never mind that all the eyecatches in the episodes still have the original Japanese version. *rolls eyes* Also, it IS easily confused with the Square games, which are fairly well-known Stateside, too. I talked to someone just the other day in anime club who apparently had been confused by the similar titles.

However, whatever the reason, I don't think "Chrno" was a spelling error as you reported in the column.

Sorry, unless you have some proof, a link or something, I'm going to have to go with Zac on this one. Although both situations seem to be very possible, Zac just has more cretability.
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:51 am Reply with quote
In ACD's defense I remember reading the same thing.Maybe it was in Newtype... maybe even an aside written in an anouncement on Anime On Dvd. I know I read it before coming to ANN, though.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:57 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Sorry, unless you have some proof, a link or something, I'm going to have to go with Zac on this one. Although both situations seem to be very possible, Zac just has more cretability.

I've been looking for it, but so far the nearest thing I've been able to find so far is a mention in an older Ms. Answerman column.

It's hard to find anything because 1) I'm not sure exactly when I read these things and 2) I'm not sure what site I read them on, as for a while I followed a couple different anime news sites before settling on ANN for the most part.

I do have a tendancy, though, to accurately remember random trivial details about things, which is the only reason I'm inclined to think I might be recalling correctly on this. Especially since I am a fan of the Chrono games, and therefore I *do* remember that when Crusade was first showing up in the anime news, I took notice and read about it because of the similarity in the titles and logos.
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:57 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
ACDragonMaster wrote:

My sources say otherwise. I'm going with what my sources told me.

I normally despise smilies, but that one is absolutely amazing.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:06 am Reply with quote
See, I actually like how they handeled "Dattebayo" in the Naruto dub quite a bit. "Believe it" is somewhat close to what it means (there's really no way to translate it directly into english-basically it just emphasizes what he just said. So, "Don' cha know" would work too, as would "that it is" if you wanted Naruto to sound like Foghorn Legorn.)

It's a real problem because there's really no way to please everyone in this case. Refusing to acknlowedge "Dattebayo" at all would annoy some fans, and working it in would annoy others. The way they did it was pretty cool-he doesn't say "Believe it" at the end of EVERY sentance with "Dattebayo," just at the end of sentances where "believe it" would sound natural anyway (and which have a couple of extra lip flaps to fill.) So in the dub, he might say "I'm going to be Hokage! Believe it!" but he wouldn't say "Hey, what time is it? Believe it!" even if he said "Dattebayo" there in the original, because it's not natural sounding in English.

Plus, if they had dubbed ALL the Dattebayos, there would be several occasions when Naruto would have to say "I don't believe it! Believe it!"

Naruto's dub is great, and the best Viz has ever done. Fie on all who disagree! Fie, I say!

Also: Thank you for picking my caption, Zac. Anime smile
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:10 am Reply with quote
okay... so isn't that like a blatant way of saying the Inuyasha prize is a waste of time?

Last edited by v1cious on Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:17 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
okay... so isn't that like a blatant way saying the Inuyasha prize is a waste of time?

It doesn't matter, people are still gonna want it anyway just because its Inuyasha.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:28 am Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:

The info is actually confirmed in one of the Audio Commentaries. DVD 4 if i'm not mistaken.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:34 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
okay... so isn't that like a blatant way of saying the Inuyasha prize is a waste of time?
well its the truth isnt it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Maceart

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:58 am Reply with quote
Copyright infringement? Doesn't animation companies accept Comiket and other doujinshi conventions or fan made games (Melty Blood, EFZ) that helps promote the source anime material?
Psycho-dono

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:58 am Reply with quote
AC's story is what I heard at the time Chrno Crusade started airing. 'Chrono' couldn't be used in Japan and ADV thought that people would think 'Chrno' was a typo.

Did Mr. Answerman see this?

And after a little goggling...

http://www.animesuki.com/licensed.php?browse=af (scroll to Chrono Crusade)

Seems 'Chrono' might be trademarked by Sqeenix (Square Enix) in Japan.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:19 am Reply with quote
Psycho-dono wrote:
AC's story is what I heard at the time Chrno Crusade started airing. 'Chrono' couldn't be used in Japan and ADV thought that people would think 'Chrno' was a typo.

Did Mr. Answerman see this?

And after a little goggling...

http://www.[This URL is a known Fansub Distribution website]/licensed.php?browse=af (scroll to Chrono Crusade)

Seems 'Chrono' might be trademarked by Sqeenix (Square Enix) in Japan.

Well, the first link has enough information to warrant an edit on either Mr. Answerman or the Encyclopedia. I wonder which one is right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4