• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Reports 1st Quarter Profit, Steep Drop in Wii U Sales

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:15 am Reply with quote
I think the casual (and nostalgia franchise) gamer route isn't working out for them. It's not working out for Zynga either after all the hype.

I think Nintendo realized this, by securing Bayonetta 2 as an exclusive, but it's too little, too late for Wii U.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:25 am Reply with quote
I have no idea how they plan to sell 9 million Wii U units by 2014 if they're only selling 160k units per quarter.
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:52 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I think the casual (and nostalgia franchise) gamer route isn't working out for them. It's not working out for Zynga either after all the hype.

I think Nintendo realized this, by securing Bayonetta 2 as an exclusive, but it's too little, too late for Wii U.

Exact same thing dudes used to say about the 3DS and look how that turned out

Wii U will increase in sales and popularity when the games that people actually WANT arrive. Hell, Pikmin is already making heavy dents
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:51 am Reply with quote
Was it a good idea to use the Wii brandname?

People bought Wii consoles just for crap like WiiFit not for games, proper games being treated with such contempt that no gamepad even came bundled in-box, despite one being necessary to play games properly unless its something like WiiSports.

And... you can understand Ninty aiming for the party games market and the market for games that aren't FPS murder simulators or GTA. But people failed to make the jump from WiiSports and dumbed down Mario Kart Wii to more hardcore titles meaning the 'Wii' brand is pretty alienating to proper gamers now.

If they brought back the NES and Famicom labels the Wii U might've had more impact IMO.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:51 am Reply with quote
9 million might have been possible if they have good Christmas sales but with the Xbox One and PS4 stated for around the end of November to mid December its seems less likely they will be able to hit the 9 million figure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:41 am Reply with quote
ShatteredWorld wrote:
configspace wrote:

Exact same thing dudes used to say about the 3DS and look how that turned out

Wii U will increase in sales and popularity when the games that people actually WANT arrive. Hell, Pikmin is already making heavy dents

Except the 3DS is not the Wii U. I don't see Wii U targeting otaku, except maybe for Bayonetta 2. And games come from developers. I doubt they going to throw as much money to every developer as they did to Platinum Games. And both Japanese and Western developers have complained about Wii U's low performing cpu. The hardware is already looking old compared to next gen. Going forward I think they're going to have an even harder time attracting developers or getting them to give priority to Wii U. EA is not supporting them at all.

For the games "people want", I don't know anything about Pikmin other than it's another casual, family-friendly game from Mr Nintendo himself, but will it get people to actually buy the Wii U? Will the Wii owners upgrade to Wii U? It's already doing so poorly compared to how Wii did. Will new owners pick the Wii U over the competition, especially with XB1 and PS4 coming soon?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:51 am Reply with quote
The problem with the Wii U is simple: Causal gamers, the ones who made the Wii a huge success, have largely moved on to cheaper or less dedicated alternatives like phones and tablets. They just aren't interested in shelling out hundreds of bucks for a home console anymore. And hardcore gamers? Come on. Aside from hardcore Nintendo fans, nobody is going to buy a Wii U just for its 1st party titles alone. And as for 3rd party stuff? Wii U can't even get decent support now. It's SOL when the next gen consoles hit.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:41 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
The problem with the Wii U is simple: Causal gamers, the ones who made the Wii a huge success, have largely moved on to cheaper or less dedicated alternatives like phones and tablets. They just aren't interested in shelling out hundreds of bucks for a home console anymore. And hardcore gamers? Come on. Aside from hardcore Nintendo fans, nobody is going to buy a Wii U just for its 1st party titles alone. And as for 3rd party stuff? Wii U can't even get decent support now. It's SOL when the next gen consoles hit.

This is pretty much it right here. Wii U needs games, and it needed them months ago. Smash and a new Zelda will help a bit but it still needs more appeal. For me the only thing even remotely appealing is the SMT x FE crossover that was announced and that's just because I'm a huge Atlus fanboy.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:20 am Reply with quote
Here's what nintendo desperately needs, and has desperately neededfor years: a completely new first party IP, something creative that has never been done before and pushes the boundary of game mechanics. the last time they did that was Pikmin, but that was 12 years ago in 2001.Pikmin 3 is great, since that series certainly could use more instalments. we need first party games that aren't just sequels

But that's probably never going to happen because no one [expletive] wants to make new IP anymore. Hell, at this point I
'd be happy with more instalments in nintendo series I actually like, such as F Zero and Metroid, as opposed to Mario and Zelda.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:22 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
But that's probably never going to happen because no one [expletive] wants to make new IP anymore.

No-one at Nintendo. There were tons of new IPs particularly for Sony's show at E3.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:40 am Reply with quote
I have heard Miyamoto is working on a new IP for next year. And wouldn't Monolithsoft's "X" project count as 1st party considering they're owned by Nintendo?

I wonder if we can hope the Wii U can perform a similar miracle the 3DS did once the games lots of peeps want start flowing in 2014. At the very least maybe they could push for a bundle deal during Black Friday or reduce the overall price for the 32GB version.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote
I just don't see a reason to get a wii U right now. What games are out that are a system sellers? They need to get their shit together in terms of the WiiU
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
They'd better get the new Smash Bros. and SMT x FE out the door quick then.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I would rather have seen one truly amazing launch game than 20 mediocre or all-too-familiar games. This new format of releasing their consoles with the promise of quality software the following year while relying almost entirely on fan loyalty is a terrible strategy.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I'll buy a Wii U for Bayonetta 2 and WindWaker HD. That is all that interests me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4