• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Moe Tournament (nominations closed)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Samurai CDZ wrote:
You know, maybe we should limit it to 5 characters from a single show...

That's why I suggested a preliminary (qualifying). Otherwise, a lot of resource would be wasted on series filled with cute females (Negima, Gokujou Seitokai, Mai-HiME, etc.). Fans of those series don't love each and every character; most of them still focus on protagonist(s).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:33 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Samurai CDZ wrote:
You know, maybe we should limit it to 5 characters from a single show...

That's why I suggested a preliminary (qualifying). Otherwise, a lot of resource would be wasted on series filled with cute females (Negima, Gokujou Seitokai, Mai-HiME, etc.). Fans of those series don't love each and every character; most of them still focus on protagonist(s).

See my edited version of my immediately preceding post (I added something while you were posting - that's what happens when a thread is "alive").

Anyway, we're now getting very close to 256 characters. Here's what I suggest:

1. Pick out 32 characters as the "top seeds".

2. Divide the list into eight groups. Each group must contain four top-seeded characters, drawn at random. The rest of the characters will be distributed randomly.

3. Each group then is subject to a vote - say that everyone who votes must pick three characters from the group, each of which then gets 1 point.

4. The top 8 characters in each group then go on to the second round. If a spot is tied, both characters go on.

5. In round two, the 64+ surviving characters (who must now all be considered equally seeded) are randomly divided into four groups of 16 or so. A second vote, similar to the first, is held.

6. The top 4 characters in each of the 4 second-round groups then go on to round three.

7. In round three, the 16 surviving characters are divided into two groups of 8 characters. A new vote is held, similar to the previous.

8. The top 2 characters in each of the 2 third-round groups then go on to an elimination tournament consisting of a semi-final and a final. By random drawing, the 4 survivors are matched against each other in pairs in a semi-final. The winner of each pair goes on to the final.

How's that? Too complicated? Some of the steps can be eliminated by making the groups larger.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Samurai CDZ wrote:
I don't think any of those have been mentioned. I'm not as confident about my "moe sensors" so feel free to fix any you know don't qualify.

I think the point was made earlier that moe is hard to pin down. Your guess may well be as good as mine.

Mm. Our moe are completely different. Mine revolves around pre-teen characters. This probably comes from being an only child and always wanting a little sister. My comment was referring more to the older characters since I don't find them very moe myself, although I can certainly see why people do consider them such.

-----

How do we pick seeds? At random? There really doesn't seem to be any advantage to being a seed. They're supposed to get the weakest draw, but in a random setting it's really not that helpful. Maybe this is where we can use those images dormcat linked. I know it's another contest but...said characters could represent strong competiton, and should be separated. Also, I think remaining seeds should continue their seed status into later rounds, keeping them separated from each other, since that seems to be the only plus in having seeds at all.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Samurai CDZ wrote:
How do we pick seeds? At random?

Just like any other sports, seeds are given to prospective winners to separate them apart until near the final showdown. Without seeds, #1 and #2 might fight at the very first round, and #2 gets retired not because it's not good enough but because it meets the one and only one better than it in the very beginning of the tournament. The only problem is how seeds should be generated. I do know that in auto racing your starting position is determined with your qualifying performance; faster cars have a head start. Anyone knows about other sports?

Another issue I'm worrying about is participation. Right now we have less than ten users participating the discussion. I wonder how many other users would actually join and vote even if we complete a 256-characters tournament tree.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:15 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I do know that in auto racing your starting position is determined with your qualifying performance; faster cars have a head start. Anyone knows about other sports?

Most sports have a season that determines seeding for the playoffs. This also give them home field advantage as well as a weak draw (niether of which are applicable to this situation). Final position at the end of the season determines "seeding" for drafts, and maybe it effects the following years schedule, too. My question was, at this time, where are we going to get that information from? The Top 32 Moe, and Top 24, 25-100 lists you provided seems to me like a good place to start. In other words, I hoping we're not going to arbitrarily (more or less) pick 32 characters.

dormcat wrote:
Another issue I'm worrying about is participation. Right now we have less than ten users participating the discussion. I wonder how many other users would actually join and vote even if we complete a 256-characters tournament tree.

Yeah, at this point, even though they are very cheatable it seems the polls might be the best. I do believe there is a way to filter out the cheaters, but I think that would require staff support. But if we're allowed to use the polls, we'd have to have that anyway.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:43 pm Reply with quote
What is this all about anyway? I read the first post and the links, but I'm still not terribly familier with the concept. What is the point of this 'tournament' and what exactly makes one "moe" character 'better' than another? Why is "moe" the category anyway?
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:56 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Well, there's a couple of ways to look at it. Even though this thread has been here awhile, I never even saw it until yesterday, at which point most of my suggestions were already taken. People unfamiliar with the concept of moe, or those who aren't caught by the catchy thread title Wink, will stay away from the thread. Now, if this was to become an official ANN deal, then a simple posting at the top of the news with the rules and the like should garner enough interest.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Now, if this was to become an official ANN deal, then a simple posting at the top of the news with the rules and the like should garner enough interest.

I can guarantee you that is not going to happen.

I'm okay with you guys keeping this in its own thread in the anime forum and doing whatever it is you want to do, but you're going to have to use whatever tools you have here already to make it work.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Oh well, just a thought.

I would simply suggest starting out with a new thread, outlining everything one would need to know to participate, since this thread has been used mainly for suggestions and nominations.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:41 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Kazuki-san wrote:
Now, if this was to become an official ANN deal, then a simple posting at the top of the news with the rules and the like should garner enough interest.

I'm okay with you guys keeping this in its own thread in the anime forum and doing whatever it is you want to do, but you're going to have to use whatever tools you have here already to make it work.

That's perfectly fine by me - I've repeatedly remarked that I don't consider the polls reliable. I prefer people to make their votes up front.

And by the way, thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement. It always makes my heart swell to see someone really invest himself emotionally in active fandom. I know you took a lot of time off from your busy schedule to tell us that you're "okay with it", and I really appreciate the effort.

Now, getting back to the business at hand:

Kazuki-san wrote:
I would simply suggest starting out with a new thread, outlining everything one would need to know to participate, since this thread has been used mainly for suggestions and nominations.

I agree that this is probably the best option. Start a new thread for the first round, giving a short intro to the concept of moe, explaining the rules, and listing the contestants. Then call for votes in that thread. Round two, new thread, etc.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:14 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
What is the point of this 'tournament'

For fun. Mr. Green

daxomni wrote:
and what exactly makes one "moe" character 'better' than another?

It's a popularity contest, not a "goodness" contest. The result is not scientific and only reflects the opinion of those who choose to participate. Wink

daxomni wrote:
Why is "moe" the category anyway?

You can open the most fujoshi or aniki character tournament if you want. Even with moe, the most popular character type, we have only about a dozen users discussing. I'd like to see how many users would participate in an aniki tournament. Twisted Evil
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:53 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
What is this all about anyway? I read the first post and the links, but I'm still not terribly familier with the concept. What is the point of this 'tournament' and what exactly makes one "moe" character 'better' than another? Why is "moe" the category anyway?

Well, it's kind of hard to explain if you have already read those definitions. As dormcat has put it, it is similar to "the love of a stepfather for his cute stepdaughter. You cherish her and try to protect her under your wing, but once in a while an evil thought flashes in your mind, followed by "no no no that's very very wrong" and some deeply guilty feeling." I don't know if there is any other way I could explain it after this.

As for the seeds, the lists that dormcat put up, well, I can't really identify all of the characters in it. These are all the ones I knew off the top of my head:

Saimoe top 32:

1.Natsuki -Mai Hime
2.Misuzu -Air
3.?
4.Dokoro -Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokoro-chan
5.?
6.?
7.?
8.?
9.?
10.Nanoha- Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha
11.Akane -Mai Hime
12.?
13.?
14.Shizuro -Mai Hime
15.?
16.?
17.?
18.?
19.?
20.?
21.?
22.?
23.Midori -Mai Hime
24.?
25.?
26.Character from Air (sorry I forgot her name Embarassed )
27.?
28.?
29.?
30.?
31.Mai -Mai Hime
32.?

Newtype top 32

1.Chii -Chobits
2.Mizuho -Please Teacher
3.Aoi -Ai Yori Aoishi
4.?
5.Mahoro -Mahoromatic
6.Misha -Pita Ten
7.Osaka -Azumanga Daioh
8.Kaname -Full Metal Panic
9.?
10.?
11.Chiyo -Azumaga Daioh
12.Tessa -Full Metal Panic
13.?
14.Kagome -Inuyasha
15.Milfeulle -Galaxy Angel
16.?
17.?
18.Sumomo -Chobits
19.?
20.?
21.Sakaki -Azumanga Daioh
22.Chise -SaiKano
23.Ayu -Kanon
24.?
26.Lina -Slayers
27.?
28.?
29.?
30.Mao -Mao-chan
31.?
32.Lacus -Gundam SEED

I know it's embarressing, but that's all I know. Can anybody else fill in the rest?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:24 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
As for the seeds, the lists that dormcat put up (...)

Nah, I provided them just for a reference, not saying they have to be seeds.

BTW, how could I mention Kiddy Grade without Uta∽Kata?
angel_lover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:08 am Reply with quote
Uta∽Kata? Yes, definitely Ichika, possibly Keiko too.

Other random nominations would include Yuri from Alien 9, Tohru from Fruits Basket, and Laburey from Neoranga (although I guess that last one might be a little obscure).

Finally, from the inclusion of robots, cyborgs and dolls I can tell that the contestants don't need to be human - but do they need to be humanoid? If not, I think Ebichu from Oruchuban Ebichu should be included. She's almost human Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:41 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
I know it's embarressing, but that's all I know. Can anybody else fill in the rest?

Here's my updated version of your list - still with a few blanks:
(old, new, still unidentified)

Saimoe top 32:

1.Natsuki -Mai Hime
2.Misuzu -Air
3.Honoka -Negima
4.Dokoro -Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokoro-chan
5.Setsuna -Negima
6.Shinku -Rozen Maiden
7.Rein -Gokujou Seitokai
8.Suiseiseki -Rozen Maiden
9.(I know this character, but the name escapes me)
10.Nanoha- Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha
11.Akane -Mai Hime
12.Hazuki -Tsukuyomi~Moon Phase
13.(I know this character, but the name escapes me)
14.Shizuro -Mai Hime
15.(I know this character, but the name escapes me)
16.(I know this character, but the name escapes me)
17.Kaori -Gokujou Seitokai
18.Nanaho -Gokujou Seitokai
19.Youko -Tactics
20.(I don't recognise this character at all)
21.(I know this character, but the name escapes me)
22.Seina - Gokujou Seitokai
23.Midori -Mai Hime
24.Tenma - School Rumble
25.Ayumu -Gokujou Seitokai
26.Character from Air (sorry I forgot her name Embarassed ) Kannabi-no-mikoto -Air
27.Mayura - Gokujou Seitokai
28.Kanade -Gokujou Seitokai
29.Ayaka -Negima
30.Souseiseki - Rozen Maiden
31.Mai -Mai Hime
32.Yakumo - School Rumble

Newtype top 32

1.Chii -Chobits
2.Mizuho -Please Teacher
3.Aoi -Ai Yori Aoishi
4.Subaru -.hack//SIGN
5.Mahoro -Mahoromatic
6.Misha -Pita Ten
7.Osaka -Azumanga Daioh
8.Kaname -Full Metal Panic
9.Mimiru -.hack//SIGN
10.(I don't recognise this character at all)
11.Chiyo -Azumaga Daioh
12.Tessa -Full Metal Panic
13.(I don't recognise this character at all)
14.Kagome -Inuyasha
15.Milfeulle -Galaxy Angel
16.Robin -Witch Hunter Robin
17.(I don't recognise this character at all)
18.Sumomo -Chobits
19.Eclair -Kiddy Grade
20.(I don't recognise this character at all)
21.Sakaki -Azumanga Daioh
22.Chise -SaiKano
23.Ayu -Kanon
24.(I don't recognise this character at all)

I'm not going to fiddle around with the nos. 25-100 on the Newtype list - but if there are any that you're particularly curious about, ask away.

angel_lover wrote:
Finally, from the inclusion of robots, cyborgs and dolls I can tell that the contestants don't need to be human - but do they need to be humanoid? If not, I think Ebichu from Oruchuban Ebichu should be included. She's almost human Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

No, I think it is clear from the examples already given that a moe character has to be reasonably human in appearance, and (I would say) female. The inclusion of Negi Springfield by dormcat must be considered a joke.

So you can include creatures that are non-human in appearance, if and only if they are capable of assuming a human appearance that fits the moe mold. So Konuri-chan from PetoPeto-san is "moe-enabled" despite being essentially an ambulatory block of clay - because she can, with some effort, become a very cute little humanoid girl. But Ebichu, I regret to say, isn't moe - unless you're a furry. In which case... well, whatever rocks your boat.

- abunai
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9