• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece and Naruto #1 in their time slots

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Good to see One Piece doing well somewhere. I think it'd do even better if we'd tone down on the bullcrap.

Yashouzoid wrote:
Anyway, its ratings aren't that good =(

I really like Bo-bobo, but I knew it was going to suck in the ratings. It's too bad that we won't be able to see the rest of the manga and unedited anime though for those that *do* like it.

Ohoni wrote:
Why do they run that instead of a really funny show, like Beat to Death Angel Dokuro-Chan?

Ew. What an awful alternative. Dokuro-chan is far from what I would consider "humor." Bo-bobo is FAR funnier. Hell, I'd say Soul Taker is funnier.
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
All I'm saying is, if they want better ratings, move AS up to 10, and show the "tween" shows, those that could theoretically be edited to Toonami standards but really shouldn't, into the 10pm timeslot. Of course, what do they care about ratings, they're just a tv network.

Adult Swim should not be showing tween shows. It's called "Adult Swim", for crying out loud!

I'd rather focus on Toonami getting more shows like Naruto, DBZ Uncut, and IGPX that are either entirely uncut or way less censored than the rest of the network. With the standards as loose as they are for Toonami now they could air Bleach nearly uncut, Case Closed editted to Adult Swim standards, a better uncut dub of One Piece, and if they want to be more risky uncut or nearly-uncut SEED Destiny or dare I say it something like Planettes or Fruits' Basket that would be an extreme risk but without any editting needed and even if it failed it would still be good programming.
patch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Mugen The Great wrote:
I'd rather focus on Toonami getting more shows like Naruto, DBZ Uncut, and IGPX that are either entirely uncut or way less censored than the rest of the network. With the standards as loose as they are for Toonami now they could air Bleach nearly uncut......

Refering to Naruto, if you think 11 out of 12 episodes edited/cut is "way less censored" then that's saying something Smile

As far as Bleach, there's no way you're going to see it on Toonami, if we were to speculate (since Bleach is still not licensed yet) I'd say there's a better chance to see it on [adult swim] replace a show like Fullmetal Alchemist.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ew. What an awful alternative. Dokuro-chan is far from what I would consider "humor." Bo-bobo is FAR funnier. Hell, I'd say Soul Taker is funnier.

That clearly isn't a tabacco cigarette you've got there, huh?

Quote:
Adult Swim should not be showing tween shows. It's called "Adult Swim", for crying out loud!

They're already more or less there, showing programs like Scryed, Inu Yasha, and Full Metal Alchemist, all shows in the same "content range" as One Piece and Naruto, regardless of whether you enjoy them or not.

Quote:
With the standards as loose as they are for Toonami now they could air Bleach nearly uncut,

Unlikely, many episodes of Bleach are a bloodbath.

I'm just tired of hearing them give the excuse "It's Toonami, it can't show things edited to the same standards as South Park and Drawn Together". Bull, that's entirely their own choice, nobody's forcing them to make it.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

I'm just tired of hearing them give the excuse "It's Toonami, it can't show things edited to the same standards as South Park and Drawn Together". Bull, that's entirely their own choice, nobody's forcing them to make it.

The sponsors and parent groups are. If they were to show all their animes uncensored in a kids/teen block like toonami, parents will be pissed off and the network will get a lot of lawsuits from angry parents. They will also lose a lot of sponsors because of this. Naruto and One Piece may even get cancelled for the same reason why Ren and Stimpey,Animaniacs, and other 90s(and before) kids cartoons are either cancelled or edited: They're considered too "adult".

Comparing how shows like South Park are shown to how Naruto and One Piece are shown is pretty idiotic. South Park, just like all the Comedy Central shows and Adult Swim shows are for adults. Shows in most of Cartoon Network like Naruto are aimed at kids.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:55 pm Reply with quote
patch wrote:
Refering to Naruto, if you think 11 out of 12 episodes edited/cut is "way less censored" then that's saying something Smile

It's not like the edits are frequent or substantial.

Meanwhile, One Piece has about 20-30 edits per episode on average - and that's just for the good episodes. I remember one episode I had the *ahem* "pleasure" of comparing had a total of 78 edits. Yikes.

Keep in mind that really they only need to make about 10 edits at most per episode to make it kid friendly (cutting the violence and the tobacco).

As far as Bleach goes, really, it belongs on Toonami. I don't care if it's the bloodiest show in the world. It's meant for teens. If Adult Swim was called "Teen Swim" it would belong there, but it's called "Adult Swim".
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
As far as Bleach goes, really, it belongs on Toonami. I don't care if it's the bloodiest show in the world. It's meant for teens. If Adult Swim was called "Teen Swim" it would belong there, but it's called "Adult Swim".

So is Inuyasha. I wouldn't be surprised to see it end up on Adult Swim, especially since the entire premise of the show revolves around death. I also don't think Bleach has the kind of tween potential that Naruto or One Piece have, but it could have a very devoted teen/adult following.

This is one Shonen Jump show that I think would benefit more from Adult Swim over Toonami.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
patch wrote:

It's not like the edits are frequent or substantial.

But you know the fanboys will still complain, while bashing the terrific dub in the process because they think it should be tailored to them.

Yashouzoid wrote:
Meanwhile, One Piece has about 20-30 edits per episode on average - and that's just for the good episodes. I remember one episode I had the *ahem* "pleasure" of comparing had a total of 78 edits. Yikes.

And this is why anime fans hate 4Kids with a passion.

Yashouzoid wrote:
Keep in mind that really they only need to make about 10 edits at most per episode to make it kid friendly (cutting the violence and the tobacco).

This is because Viz, like most other anime companies actually respects Japanese animation, unlike those idiots in New York.

Yashouzoid wrote:

Bleach does NOT belong on Toonami. First of all, it's nowhere near being the bloodiest anime ever, but it's still got too much for Toonami. And also, there are too many scenes not involving action and/or humor, which the kiddies won't like. And we can't forget the dead ghosts of children showing up frequently. Little Johnny would be frightened if he knew that some anime character his age was dead.
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:56 pm Reply with quote
There lies a strange irony in that the very people who complain about the horrid hack job that is One Peice and all the Narutards complaining about hell knows are the ones giving these shows ratings so they can all complain about it together.

It's like shoting yourself in the foot and then blaming the gun makers for it.

FAWHOOOSH!
patch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Yashouzoid wrote:

Bleach does NOT belong on Toonami. First of all, it's nowhere near being the bloodiest anime ever, but it's still got too much for Toonami. And also, there are too many scenes not involving action and/or humor, which the kiddies won't like. ...

Well said Starwind.

I don't think the blood has anything to do with it (of course they could cut/cleanup blood like they did with Naruto, to make it airable, but when main storyline begins, they would have a very tough time airing just about anything due to storyline content, not the blood. I mean come on, the simplest way to put it is [WARNING big Bleach anime] spoiler[the fact is a major storyline of the series is driven by the brutal murder of Captain Aizen, and what it seems to be collapse of the Soul Society] how could they pull that off on Toonami?
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
So is Inuyasha. I wouldn't be surprised to see it end up on Adult Swim, especially since the entire premise of the show revolves around death. I also don't think Bleach has the kind of tween potential that Naruto or One Piece have, but it could have a very devoted teen/adult following.

With InuYasha, that was more of an issue of what they could get away with on Toonami at the time. InuYasha was originally intended to be aired on Toonami, however, they ran into problems with the censors because InuYasha is impaled to a tree.

Quote:
I don't think the blood has anything to do with it (of course they could cut/cleanup blood like they did with Naruto, to make it airable, but when main storyline begins, they would have a very tough time airing just about anything due to storyline content, not the blood. I mean come on, the simplest way to put it is [WARNING big Bleach anime] spoilerspoiler[[the fact is a major storyline of the series is driven by the brutal murder of Captain Aizen, and what it seems to be collapse of the Soul Society]] how could they pull that off on Toonami?

They can show death on Naruto. I gurantee that if Viz were to license Bleach they would give it about as much censorship as they're giving Naruto (hardly any, only a couple of blood cleanups at most).

If the specified death is a problem (I wouldn't know - I don't keep up with Bleach), then they could tone it down to make it acceptable for Toonami levels. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they just said "Screw it" and put it on Adult Swim.

Quote:
And also, there are too many scenes not involving action and/or humor, which the kiddies won't like.

Since when has Toonami been concerned about things like that? Never. It's not like Naruto or Zatch Bell have every second comprised of some sort of action or humor.

Quote:
And we can't forget the dead ghosts of children showing up frequently. Little Johnny would be frightened if he knew that some anime character his age was dead.

Hey, Shaman King, a series licensed by 4Kids Entertainment, got away with spirits and ghosts. I don't see why Bleach, which would no doubt be licensed by a more capable company, would have to go on Adult Swim because it features the ghosts of children.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:

The sponsors and parent groups are. If they were to show all their animes uncensored in a kids/teen block like toonami, parents will be pissed off and the network will get a lot of lawsuits from angry parents.

Which is why, say it with me now you should all know it. . . Adult Swim should be moved up to 10pm. They can hardly complain if the timeblock is called Adult Swim.

Quote:

Comparing how shows like South Park are shown to how Naruto and One Piece are shown is pretty idiotic. South Park, just like all the Comedy Central shows and Adult Swim shows are for adults. Shows in most of Cartoon Network like Naruto are aimed at kids.

I know I watched Southpark in late highschool, and my little brother watched it in middle school. It's always been quite popular with the kids, and sold a great deal of merchandise aimed at kids (such as sub-standard videogames and toys).

Quote:

Do you seriously think that only adults watch Adult Swim? Do you seriously think that Inu Yasha or Scryed are only appropriate for adults? Hell, Detective Conan is a kid's show, and they ran that on Adult Swim too. Don't try to pull elitism on a show like Bleach. Besides, the last episode I watched had a primary character running around with a manji (most people would think it's a swastika) prominantly displayed on his sword hilt, and about 3-5 pints of blood sprayed from several prominant wounds. I'm telling you, the editing budget for that show would be more than the acting budget, if not the liscensing costs.

Quote:

But you know the fanboys will still complain, while bashing the terrific dub in the process because they think it should be tailored to them.

It's not a terrific dub. Don't exagerate. It's an acceptible dub. Most of the voices are reasonably correct, and at least half that the VAs are competant actors as well. This si not universally true among the cast. Iruka was horrid, Sakura is ok, but "inner Sakura" is way off, and Naruto, while fairly close to the Japanese voice in tone, gives a horrible performance overall, and that "believe it" crap has got to go. That's just what we know so far, most of the characters in the series haven't even had enough dialog to judge yet.

Could it have been worse? Hell yeah, it could have been WAY worse, and nobody argues that, but it's far from as good as it could, and should have been, and it cheapens the dialog when people make such spurious claims just to back their position.

Quote:
There lies a strange irony in that the very people who complain about the horrid hack job that is One Peice and all the Narutards complaining about hell knows are the ones giving these shows ratings so they can all complain about it together.

Eh, I watch the shows, but I don't have a Neilsen's box, so it doesn't really matter.

Quote:

If the specified death is a problem (I wouldn't know - I don't keep up with Bleach), then they could tone it down to make it acceptable for Toonami levels. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they just said "Screw it" and put it on Adult Swim.

How can you feel qualified to judge whether Bleach is Toonami-ready if by your own admission you don't watch the show? That makes no sense to me.
patch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:20 am Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:

then:
Yashouzoid wrote:
...(I wouldn't know - I don't keep up with Bleach)...

So then how do you think you can make judgements about the show? Rolling Eyes
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I've seen a handful of episodes (and not just the first few episodes because I know early eps can be misleading), and it definitely seems like it's a Toonami show. A show shouldn't be put on Adult Swim just so it can be aired uncut.

Quote:
Do you seriously think that only adults watch Adult Swim? Do you seriously think that Inu Yasha or Scryed are only appropriate for adults?

Scryed should have aired on Toonami.

And since you're obviously SO good at reading, you must have seen what I wrote about why InuYasha is on Adult Swim instead of Toonami?

Quote:
Hell, Detective Conan is a kid's show, and they ran that on Adult Swim too.

Different standards for different countries. Detective Conan is also a show where 90+% of its episodes revolve around murders.

Quote:
Don't try to pull elitism on a show like Bleach.

Um... what? Since when is saying that a show belongs on ___ "elitism"?

It sure as hell doesn't belong on Miguzi or whatever, but it does belong on a teen-centric block, and Toonami is the closest thing to that. I wish they would make a "Teenami" or "Teen Swim" for cases like this, but until then...

Quote:
Besides, the last episode I watched had a primary character running around with a manji (most people would think it's a swastika) prominantly displayed on his sword hilt, and about 3-5 pints of blood sprayed from several prominant wounds. I'm telling you, the editing budget for that show would be more than the acting budget, if not the liscensing costs.

Or you know, they could give it a late slot and loose TV-PG.

Oh, and by that logic (with editing the manji), 4Kids should be going broke with the mass edits they're making to One Piece (every trace of the word "Marine" is erased and replaced with the word "Navy", and they also did a similar edit to a town called "Loguetown" where they changed the L to an R), though I guess they're getting close...
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:54 pm Reply with quote
patch wrote:
Mugen The Great wrote:
I'd rather focus on Toonami getting more shows like Naruto, DBZ Uncut, and IGPX that are either entirely uncut or way less censored than the rest of the network. With the standards as loose as they are for Toonami now they could air Bleach nearly uncut......

As far as Bleach, there's no way you're going to see it on Toonami, if we were to speculate (since Bleach is still not licensed yet) I'd say there's a better chance to see it on [adult swim] replace a show like Fullmetal Alchemist.

But Naruto is way less censored than the rest of CN (excluding Adult Swim). Nearly all of the episodes have included edits but they've all been very minimal. Certainly a huge improvement from the Outlaw Star days of Toonami (excluding the excellent job they did with Gundam Wing), and more violent than all of CN's other action cartoons (other than DBZ Uncut, which as the name implies is uncut). Also, Naruto is going to move to 10.5 for a short time in January, which could be to allow even less edits than they have now.

Bleach is Shonen Jump and everything Shonen Jump has gone to Toonami. Other than that it would work fine on Adult Swim but if Toonami could loosen standards enough to let Bleach air uncut (for the most part, at least) at a TV-14V like Batman it would be the best possible situation for the show's success in America.

Quote:
Do you seriously think that only adults watch Adult Swim? Do you seriously think that Inu Yasha or Scryed are only appropriate for adults? Hell, Detective Conan is a kid's show, and they ran that on Adult Swim too. Don't try to pull elitism on a show like Bleach. Besides, the last episode I watched had a primary character running around with a manji (most people would think it's a swastika) prominantly displayed on his sword hilt, and about 3-5 pints of blood sprayed from several prominant wounds. I'm telling you, the editing budget for that show would be more than the acting budget, if not the liscensing costs.

Quote:
They're already more or less there, showing programs like Scryed, Inu Yasha, and Full Metal Alchemist, all shows in the same "content range" as One Piece and Naruto, regardless of whether you enjoy them or not.

I'll reply to both of these quotes at the same time: Fullmetal Alchemist was definately mismarketed in Japan. It's a great show, but it's thematic material is about as intense as Evangelion and even though there are a lot of intelligent tween shows the topics covered in Fullmetal are definately more adult (though teens and tweens can enjoy the show, it just skews more adult by the general demographic consensus). It might be the same level of violence and stuff as Naruto and One Piece but have you ever considered that a show can be considered "adult" for reasons that *gasp* don't have to do with being innapropriate for children? Inu-Yasha was put on the air back when Adult Swim Action was starving for content so they started airing shows that had been originally intended for Toonami. Inu-Yasha just happened to be the most successful and the insane fangirls wouldn't let the show pull a YYH so it stuck on AS. Scryed could air on Toonami contentwise but Toonami wants marketable shows and Scryed just isn't marketable but still too good not to air so it went to Adult Swim where selling toys and getting lots of viewers doesn't matter as much. Detective Conan was on AS at a time when CN didn't air anything rated TV-PG and since Conan can't be editted to TV-Y7FV without ruining most of the plot it went to AS by default. Even then it was a bomb and no new episodes were bought. The show would probably be at least moderately successful and could air nearly uncut with no significant edits if it aired nowadays on Toonami. So what I'm basically saying is that Inu-Yasha and Detective Conan are on the same level of demographic appeal as Naruto and One Piece and should be on Toonami, Scryed doesn't have to be on Toonami but it could do so if Toonami was less picky about marketting, and Fullmetal Alchemist is Adult Swim material and not Toonami material for reasons unrelated to editting. Bleach could go either way. It could be AS or it could be Toonami. I just don't think stuff that's clearly tween-oriented such as Naruto and One Piece (or Inu-Yasha and Case Closed, for that matter) belongs on Adult Swim.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4