• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Star Trek Actor Petitions Against Akira 'Whitewashing'

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stararnold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Strawberryelle wrote:
The world in Akira, even if it took place in Japan, and all the characters were Japanese, all the elements were pretty western. Its a story of circumstance, it can have easily happened anywhere, whereas you can't really have a story about geisha's or samurai anywhere other than Japan. Its been a while since I've seen it but I can't remember any striking Asian influences in the story anyways.

the point of making a remake isn't to retell the story the exact same way, otherwise they'd be no point. if you want to watch Akira set in Japan with an all Japanese cast just rewatch the anime. the reason why Akira was/IS so good is because its a story that transcends race and speaks to the human condition.

Which is why "Akira" makes a good choice of manga for Waner Bros. to do a movie version of, given it's about the human condition and the circumstances tied to gone-wrong experiments, not about what it means to be Japanese/Asian (no offense). Problem is some otaku in North America are too purist to understand the whole idea of remakes and re-imaginings.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
But then why remake Akira when you could just make a different movie with similar themes? The Matrix owes a lot to Ghost in the Shell and Megazone 23 and it was sucessful critically and commercially.
stararnold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
But then why remake Akira when you could just make a different movie with similar themes? The Matrix owes a lot to Ghost in the Shell and Megazone 23 and it was sucessful critically and commercially.

Call it a guess, but it's possible that the men and women at Warner Bros. are hoping that a U.S. "Akira" movie will increase interest in "Akira", and by extension anime and manga, given that anime and manga don't seem to often be as successful in appealing to the tastes of or selling to mainstreamers in North America as North American-made sitcoms like "The Simpsons" or North American-made DVD action movies like "Batman: Under The Red Hood".
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:10 pm Reply with quote

Brand recognition.
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Why...why would you do that? D'8 I don't mean to be hatin' on Twilight (though I dislike it immensely) but why would you have Robert Pattinson in one of the greatest anime accomplishments of all time?

...It's nice to see live-action anime remakes in America, but Hollywood usually ends up taking over.

I hope this and Cowboy Bebop don't turn out to be another Dragon Ball: Revolution...I'll cry. ;w;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Good points.

So then, because it's all a business people like me should just give up and hope for a brighter tomorrow? My personal, selfish motives here are just seeing if people agree that just because this is about making a buck doesn't mean it isn't lame and sad. Just you know, to feel like I'm not descending into madness.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
Good points.

So then, because it's all a business people like me should just give up and hope for a brighter tomorrow? My personal, selfish motives here are just seeing if people agree that just because this is about making a buck doesn't mean it isn't lame and sad. Just you know, to feel like I'm not descending into madness.

Making a buck doesn't have to equal lame and sad, but it will always take precedent over it. Why do you think so many crappy movies get made to begin with? Because some exec looked at the script and the cast list and said "This is going to at least break even, we'll do it".

The hope lies in people, with money, who desire to make good films despite how much money it will make back OR they know they have such a good product that they dare not mess with it's original formula. These people are very rare though.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:59 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Strawberryelle wrote:
The Ring still used a creepy little Asian girl,

Samara (the ring remake's Sunako) was played by Daveigh Chase and there's nothing Asian about her.

And she played Lilo in the film Lilo and Stitch, and that's why we were laughing our asses off when she appeared in The Ring. Laughing

Or you'd end up with something like The Lion King, where some Kimba the White Lion fans were crying foul about plagiarism. Worse case scenario, Katsuhiro Otomo would sue - Japanese wanna get paid too! And let's not even bring up GATSU. Laughing

Tomibiki wrote:
My personal, selfish motives here are just seeing if people agree that just because this is about making a buck doesn't mean it isn't lame and sad. Just you know, to feel like I'm not descending into madness.

Making a buck doesn't have to equal lame and sad, but it will always take precedent over it. Why do you think so many crappy movies get made to begin with?

Yeah, look at a lot of anime! Laughing

Just because Bandai wants to sell a boatload of Gundam kits doesn't mean Gundam sucks. Just because plastic companies want to sell loli moe nekkid statues doesn't mean...... hmmmmmmm............
Nayu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:03 am Reply with quote
Gods, I wish I had enough money and a studio to back my acquisition of some fringe property so I could have a washed up actor known for one role in a three season tv show spew 140 characters on a second rate social networking site and inspire a nerd rage publicity win.

This is such a win for this piece of vaporware. Very Happy
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:26 am Reply with quote
I kinda wish Takei had the bankroll to produce film projects, since he's so passionate about this.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:21 am Reply with quote
stararnold:
Quote:
Which is why "Akira" makes a good choice of manga for Waner Bros. to do a movie version of, given it's about the human condition and the circumstances tied to gone-wrong experiments, not about what it means to be Japanese/Asian (no offense).

If you don't think that there's anything inherently Japanese or Asian about Akira then you haven't actually seen it.

Quote:
Call it a guess, but it's possible that the men and women at Warner Bros. are hoping that a U.S. "Akira" movie will increase interest in "Akira", and by extension anime and manga,

No, they really don't care about that. They just want to cash in on gullible fans and viewers like FOX with DB:E.

dewl: Of course, the irony of The Matrix is that it was partly successful because it incorporated Asian themes and motifs into the main story.

Quote:
So then, because it's all a business people like me should just give up and hope for a brighter tomorrow?

No, you'll just have to wait ten years for them to reboot it right. Wink

enurtsol: Otomo's on board as a producer, last time I checked. Though that probably means as much as when Stephen Chow was a producer for DB:E.

Tombiki: He probably does, but nothing major.
Strawberryelle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:
I kinda wish Takei had the bankroll to produce film projects, since he's so passionate about this.

eh.... I get the feeling he's just irked by it as opposed to passionate. I mean he only went as far as to make one twitter comment linking to the petition thing.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:17 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Being an anime fan is not a political cause. Trashing another country's entire creative output doesn't make you seem like you're smarter or somehow more evolved, period.
Neither does saying you like both mediums equally, which I see a few people do to say 'I enjoy stuff from all over the world, I am cultured and don't restrict myself and appreciate everything" It's not a crime to have a preference or realize the shortcomings of a market. American animation is pretty much dead, and Hollywood isn't much better off (creatively).

About the subject of remakes: I don't see too much in the realm of remakes in anime; usually if a show gets remade in Japan it's either to follow the manga more closely (FMA: Brotherhood, the new Kenshin) so it's completely justified, or it's been like 20+ years since the original (Tetsuwan Atom 2003). It's not like there's a new One Peice reboot every other year like how Batman or the Ninja Turtles get a new reboot movie/cartoon every other year It's not fallacious to say America relies on remakes quite a bit more than anime does.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Zac wrote:

Being an anime fan is not a political cause. Trashing another country's entire creative output doesn't make you seem like you're smarter or somehow more evolved, period.
Neither does saying you like both mediums equally, which I see a few people do to say 'I enjoy stuff from all over the world, I am cultured and don't restrict myself and appreciate everything" It's not a crime to have a preference or realize the shortcomings of a market. American animation is pretty much dead, and Hollywood isn't much better off (creatively).

Or you are in fact a fan of animation and simply don't care about such things as "american animation," "anime," or "show aimed at girls". All you're doing is simply claiming that anime blows american animation out of the water without explaining why. There are some talented people working in anime, but the same is true for American animation, Greg Weisman has proven himself to be a genius many times over, and Lauren Faust has shown that she wants to make the best program she can, and doesn't care what anyone thinks.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
American animation is pretty much dead,

No it's not.

TitanXL wrote:

and Hollywood isn't much better off (creatively).

And anime isn't much better off neither. In either case, if you watch enough Hollywood stuff or enough anime stuff, you're bound to find some diamonds in the rough.

TitanXL wrote:

About the subject of remakes: I don't see too much in the realm of remakes in anime; usually if a show gets remade in Japan it's either to follow the manga more closely (FMA: Brotherhood, the new Kenshin) so it's completely justified, or it's been like 20+ years since the original (Tetsuwan Atom 2003). It's not like there's a new One Peice reboot every other year like how Batman or the Ninja Turtles get a new reboot movie/cartoon every other year

There's only been a few TMNT series all-time, and certainly not a new one every other year. The latest ones are really just continuations of the TMNT 2k3 version anyways.

As for Batman or Superman or Justice League animation etc., there's no "original versions" of them in the first place. Goodness knows there's so many versions of the comics. There's really no original to follow - it's just the nature of the franchise to have different versions; they're not reboots.

Meanwhile, Japan seemingly releases new (mostly) non-canon One Piece movies, Conan movies, Pokemon, Precure, etc. every year for like 10 straight years, so those are kinda reboots. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12