• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: MegaCon: Fullmetal Alchemist Movie Licensed

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laruto

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:55 pm Reply with quote
They announced it today at Megacon, and it will be out on DVD this October. That's cool, I'll say.

[EDIT: Merged the older, "unofficial" thread with the newer, "official" one - TK]
Dune

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:58 pm Reply with quote
*deep sigh of relief*
Laruto

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Dune wrote:
*deep sigh of relief*
You didn't think they'd get it?
Dune

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh I knew they probably would, it's just a relief knowing that it actually happened. FMA is a popular property, and movie versions of things like that are sometimes more prone to get picked up by companies with bigger wallets. Sony picked up the Bebop movie instead of Bandai (which turned out nicely enough), and Dreamworks picked up GitS: Innocence (which was excruciating).

Anyway, my fears were unfounded, and the same FMA cast is likely to return. Good news all around.
Crawly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising, and not really the big announcement Lance made it out to be. But it will make them lots of money, so it's all good. And it's nice to have a release date. Wonder if they'll do a limited edition set identically to the R2. Now that would be nice.
Crawly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Dune wrote:
FMA is a popular property, and movie versions of things like that are sometimes more prone to get picked up by companies with bigger wallets.

Funimation is the bigger wallet in the industry. Anime smile And I'm more than willing to bet they've got contractual first dibs on everything FMA that gets produced. The only way anything from this franchise will go to another company will be if Funi passes on it. Just my speculation...
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:51 pm Reply with quote
No big surprise. I figured that FUNi will bring it over here eventually (just a matter of when). They're saying October 3 as the possible release date for the DVD so that's something to look forward to.
patch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Are there any press releases yet?
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Good to know this happened. I am curious, though, as to the rumours of an American theatrical release; some FUNi reps I contacted a while ago mentioned FUNimation was considering releasing the FMA Movie to theatres based simply on the popularity of the dub and manga sales. I wasn't too happy; though a good series, I doubt it would do well in theatres, as the ending is a *tad* disappointing.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:06 pm Reply with quote
If Funi's initial "top 35 markets"/100 screen limited releases are reasonably successful, I would be astonished if the Fullmetal Alchemist movie didn't get similar theatrical distribution, probably around late August or early September if the DVD release is on October 3rd. But that's just an semi-educated guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asuka

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Lance Heiskell(Funimation rep) mentioned that the FMA movie will be getting a theatrical release on ToonZone.

Source: http://forums.toonzone.net/showpost.php?p=2079676&postcount=34
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Confirmed. FUNimation has concluded an agreement for the Fullmetal Alchemist Movie.

The movie is scheduled to be released in October. We are releasing Volume 13 day and date with the movie so you won't have any cliffhanger wait. More news to come.

Lance Heiskell
FUNimation Guy
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I thought they said it was going to be a "big" property. That would imply something new which people weren't sure was going to be picked up by the company.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Awesome. I didn't think the TV series would be finished that soon.
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, I read recently that Funi will be shortening the time between volume releases to about 7 weeks vs. the 3 month wait that we are used to.

This is great news! Funi's been doing a superb job with the series, so I'm sure the movie will be done in the highest quality. As a bonus, I figured it'd be at least another year before all the series volumes were released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4