• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Howl's Moving Castle Nominated for Oscar

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:47 am Reply with quote
W&G and CB were shoo-ins, but I really didn't know if Howl would be nominated or not. It seems Academy people will vote Miyazaki even if his movie makes no sense. :p Still, there was no better choice for a third nomination.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:49 am Reply with quote
Appleseed would have been a better choice. -_-
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote
This year truly is a triumph for non-CGI animation. I offer a rare thanks to the Academy for sending out the right message. This may not have been the best Miyazaki film but I feel it is very worthy. I'm also glad that this additional exposure will benefit the Anime community.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:06 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Appleseed would have been a better choice. -_-

Are you kidding? You're kidding, right? Appleseed was terrible. It was as cliche as you can possibly get. The human animation was stiff and awkward, as well; it reminded me of old ReBoot episodes.

Ugh. Of all the big anime flicks this year, Howl's was the best... which admittedly isn't saying a lot. This wasn't a very good year for expensive theatrical anime.
SekiGatha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:08 am Reply with quote
Howl's Moving Castle wasn't one of the best from Miyazaki, but it was entertaining and well made. I'm just glad Madagascar didn't receive the third nomination, so all is well in the world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:13 am Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
This year truly is a triumph for non-CGI animation. I offer a rare thanks to the Academy for sending out the right message. This may not have been the best Miyazaki film but I feel it is very worthy. I'm also glad that this additional exposure will benefit the Anime community.

Amen to that. In past years I've sometimes gotten the impression that the Academy will nominate CG films just because they're cutting edge. Thankfully, that's not the case this year. Three different styles of old-school animation were recognized, and while I have a feeling Wallace and Gromit will win (not that it's a better movie, but Aardman Animation has been a favorite of the Academy for a long time) it's good to see they didn't forget Miyazaki.

Of course, it helped that all the CG movies to come out this year were mediocre at best. I can't imagine Madagascar taking home any awards.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote
Getting a nomination is very spiffy.

Of course, no one expects it to get anything more, not really.
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:42 am Reply with quote
this is hard because you don't know whether the Academy will pay tribute to old school clay animation on one side, another where you guys mentioned the animator for Wallace&Gromit is an Academy favorite and then another side for Miyazaki where the Academy might think of gracing his exit with a win. this is his last film, right?

(i wonder if Advent Children will ever be considered for such an honor once it gets American/Western exposure...)
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow, for the first time ever all of the nominees are films that may actually deserve to win an Academy Award. I'm impressed.
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:05 pm Reply with quote
you mean Spirited Away didn't deserve one before? o.o
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, I still like Lilo & Stitch better. :P

He said that not every "nominee" was deserving of a nomination. He didn't say that the winners weren't deserving (though I still dispute Shrek over Monsters, Inc, but I'm not Jesse).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Seif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ugh. Of all the big anime flicks this year, Howl's was the best... which admittedly isn't saying a lot. This wasn't a very good year for expensive theatrical anime.

Except that The Place Promised in Our Early Days was a much much better film. It's a crime that it wasn't nominated

Don't get me wrong, I heart Miyazaki and really enjoyed HMC, but it wasn't his best. Place Promised was a better film, not to mention one of the most beauitful anime ever made.

Last edited by Seif on Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Dernhelm wrote:
(i wonder if Advent Children will ever be considered for such an honor once it gets American/Western exposure...)

Probably not, no matter how gorgous the animation is, the academy panel will most likely have no clue as to what is going on plot-wise. Laughing

Two claymations nods in one year? That's rare, but pretty cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Well, I still like Lilo & Stitch better. Razz

He said that not every "nominee" was deserving of a nomination. He didn't say that the winners weren't deserving (though I still dispute Shrek over Monsters, Inc, but I'm not Jesse).

Oh, I definitely think Monsters, Inc. is a superior film. Probably one of my favourite Pixar works.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Advent Children is a terrible movie unless you've played the game, and then it's just fanboy wank for 90 minutes or so. It's cool and all but it isn't a good movie.

Place Promised was intolerably dull, much moreso than Howl's Moving Castle. I sincerely doubt even if it had gotten the necessary exposure it'd have even been considered.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4