• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Ghost Stories TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:28 am Reply with quote
eyevocal wrote:

How about we anime fans gather en masse at Sentai Filmworks, drag Steven Foster out into the street and beat him around his face and head with copies of the anime he has ruined with his ego until he soils his pants, signs a legal affidavit stating that he will have nothing more to do with anime for the rest of his life and then cleans out his desk?
Wow. Overreact much. I hope you're being facetious about assaulting Foster. I may not be his biggest fan but I don't wish him bodily harm. Besides,it's not like the anime is only available in English. If you don't like the gag dub then watch it subbed.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:52 am Reply with quote
eyevocal wrote:
Oh, I've got a hell of a sense of humour. I'm pretty much always up for a good laugh. The problem is that this dub has no good laughs, since I am neither ten years old nor brain-damaged.

One does not have to be 10 years old or brain-damaged to enjoy it, bub. Expressing your displeasure with the dub not playing it straight is fine, but insulting people who think differently than you in the process is not.

and your comments about Foster in your other recent post are going over the line.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:36 am Reply with quote
Sigh. Sounds like John Casey is posting again.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:10 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
eyevocal wrote:

How about we anime fans gather en masse at Sentai Filmworks, drag Steven Foster out into the street and beat him around his face and head with copies of the anime he has ruined with his ego until he soils his pants, signs a legal affidavit stating that he will have nothing more to do with anime for the rest of his life and then cleans out his desk?
Wow. Overreact much. I hope you're being facetious about assaulting Foster. I may not be his biggest fan but I don't wish him bodily harm. Besides,it's not like the anime is only available in English. If you don't like the gag dub then watch it subbed.

Of course, I was. If I were to meet him, what I'd beat him with would be my spoken words, and the most I'd want out of him is to give me back the money he made from the copies of the titles which I bought that he dubbed (which could well be nil; he could be on salary, not royalties)--or at least an apology. The subs of Ghost Stories may be straight, but I don't want any of my money from buying a copy going towards the people responsible for that insulting dub, so if I do buy it, it'll be a used copy.

Shinesman was mentioned a little earlier. Now, that was a gag dub done right. The basic story and characters weren't plowed under, the script at least sounds like somebody sat down, thought it over a bit and wrote it down (not pulled it out of their ass on the spot) and the jokes were clever as well as funny--which is what good parody is.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
If this was any other anime treated like this show, people would throw a bitch fit.

I don't think that the original Ghost Stories ever had a large, vocal fan base in North America.
Quote:
I think it's because people grew up with this dub

That ignores the fact that a lot of people, including me, enjoyed it when it was first released.
Why can't you just accept that some people enjoy something that you do not enjoy? It is just a matter of personal taste. There is no reason to try to dismiss it as nostalgia.

YamadaKun wrote:
How does heavily bowdlerization=best dub ever?

(The Ghost Stories dub is really the exact opposite of bowdlerization, but let's ignore that for now)
Bowdlerization does not make the dub good.
Bowdlerization does not make the dub bad.
Bowdlerization simply makes the dub bowdlerized. Different people love or hate it to different degrees.
It's that personal preference thing again.

Key wrote:
I liked the dub for this one, but I agree that individual episodes were hit-or-miss (the episode which focused on the lead girl's mother was the huge miss)

If you mean the episode with the ghost nurse then I feel the same. That is probably the only episode that I did not like very much.
But for me it was not a miss because of the dub. It was a miss because the original story was dull and boring and the ghost was totally lame.
The dub improved the episode quite a bit, but not enough to make it really good, for me.

Mugley wrote:
I can't really see how people can praise Ghost Stories and Shin-chan as good dubs yet they always complain when 4Kids or other companies license anime then hack them up for TV. Pretty hypocritical on their part.

I do not know anything about Shin-chan, but Ghost Stories is so different from a 4Kids TV release that there is nothing hypocritical about liking one and disliking the other.

Quote:
... makes you wonder about the American anime fandom and where their priorities are...

You say that as if you are not a part of American anime fandom. If that is true why do you even care about these dubs?

EDIT: I should point out, for those who do not know, that my avatar is and always has been Satsuki, the main character in Ghost Stories. So you might guess that I am a bit biased.Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Doen't Bowdlerization mean removing vulgarity and obscenity?
If anything the dub added all that.
I found something really funny in most episodes, which is a better than most anime comedies.

One of the jokes involving personal injury lawyer: Jim Adler 'The Texas Hammer', probably did not make much sense to most.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The people who made this dub took another person's decent-enough story and treated it like an inconvenient pregnancy. Splat.
What??! You realize that this makes absolutely no sense, right? If the dub of Ghost Stories were a pregnancy, ignoring for the moment why your warped mind jumped to that deranged metaphor, it would obviously not be one which ended with an abortion: the dub was, again, completed. For that matter, the "decent-enough" original story was already completed-"born"-before Foster and ADV got a hold of it. Also invalidating your "abortion" concept.
Quote:

One of the jokes involving personal injury lawyer: Jim Adler 'The Texas Hammer', probably did not make much sense to most.
I had to look that one up when I saw the episode.

Is the episode that y'all are referring to with Satsuki's mother the one where Christine Auten's character (little brother; Keiichirou) has the "pull my finger" gag?
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Is the episode that y'all are referring to with Satsuki's mother the one where Christine Auten's character (little brother; Keiichirou) has the "pull my finger" gag?

That is the one that I was talking about.

The Ghost Stories dub turned a pinky promise between a dying mother and her son into a fart joke.
I love it.Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eyevocal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
The people who made this dub took another person's decent-enough story and treated it like an inconvenient pregnancy. Splat.
What??! You realize that this makes absolutely no sense, right? If the dub of Ghost Stories were a pregnancy, ignoring for the moment why your warped mind jumped to that deranged metaphor, it would obviously not be one which ended with an abortion: the dub was, again, completed. For that matter, the "decent-enough" original story was already completed-"born"-before Foster and ADV got a hold of it. Also invalidating your "abortion" concept.

More people relate to warped minds than immensely irritatingly pedantic ones. Just thought you should know.
Mugley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I do not know anything about Shin-chan, but Ghost Stories is so different from a 4Kids TV release that there is nothing hypocritical about liking one and disliking the other.

How do you figure that? They are all dubs which are dishonest portrayals of the actual show and give people wrong impressions of the franchises because the people in charge of them don't know what they're doing.

Quote:
You say that as if you are not a part of American anime fandom. If that is true why do you even care about these dubs?

I may not watch these dubs but they ruin the name of the shows and taint peoples views of the shows and youre more likely to come into contact with those people. Because of these dubs the shows are seen as jokes or in Shin-chan's case like some crude throwaway Family Guy rip off when it is in fact one of the most iconic, influential and beloved anime franchises of all time. It affects the show's reputation whether I watch them or not.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:46 am Reply with quote
I liked the dub for about the first 6 episodes. It took a boring story and made it interesting. At about episode 6 they stopped even trying to follow the story, and it became one long collection of outtakes where they continually try to be more vulgar than the previous episode. "How many F-bombs did we get in the last episode?" , "Eleven!" , "Okay, lets go for 15 in the next episode!". That got really old really fast.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:08 am Reply with quote
Mugley wrote:
Touma wrote:

How do you figure that?

In terms of "objectionable content" they are pretty much opposites. A TV dub might remove objectionable content and the Ghost Stories dub definitely added a lot of it.

In terms of the original show the difference is even more extreme.
The TV dub gives you nothing but the dub. You do not get the original audio with subtitles. And you get video that has probably been edited, to fit in more commercials if for no other reason.
The Ghost Stories DVD release does have the original uncut video and audio with faithful, as far as I know, subtitles.
There is nothing hypocritical about disliking a TV release for severely altering a show and liking a DVD release that provides the complete unaltered show.

Quote:
I may not watch these dubs but they ruin the name of the shows and taint peoples views of the shows ...

You seem to be assuming that everybody but you is incapable of seeing the difference between a gag dub and the original show.
You are entitled to your opinion, but I definitely do not share it.
I think that anime fans are more aware of the difference than you give us credit for.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:11 am Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
I just want this so I can watch the Dub with the Japanese subtitles on just to see what ADV changed. Seriously. That was a one of a kind dub. We need more of them.

Thought the same thing, mate.

Plenty of anime deserve a faithful, serious dub, but every once in awhile we get ones that benefit from script-chopping like GS here. Laughing One of the funniest dubs I've heard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4