• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Higurashi - When They Cry (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:
I remember hearing that the Japanese creators chose "When they cry" for the English title because the word "cry," both in Japanese and English (don't quote me on this, as I don't know Japanese) can refer to actual human sobbing and the cry of an animal. So "When they cry" in either language refers to both the crying of the cicadas and the crying of the human characters. Again, I'm just going on what I've heard, so please excuse me if I'm wrong.

Well both cries are featured in the show so I don't see anything wrong with that logic. I haven't heard the cry of cicadas for a long time due to the fact that people in my area killed a lot of them. Confused
Clodus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:51 am Reply with quote
took me a while but i finished the series. i first watched the first 2 arcs a while back but took a break because i didn't really get the confusing plot at first. i recently picked it up again and i rewatched it all from the beginning. now that I've finished, i have to say that it made me feel genuinely paranoid and scared at sometimes especially when you have an already creepy environment. i was even scared to go to the bathroom and had to sleep with the tv on. i remember hearing rena's explanation of paranoia about oyashiro watching her and the way they portrayed it made me feel like i was there, i love it! and right in time for halloween
now that I've seen all of season 1, i really do appreciate the arc perspectives and how you slowly see the whole picture. genius. atmosphere and understanding do make a big difference, my first ratings were very good but it jumped up significantly to a masterpiece. im gonna have to strongly recommend watching it a second time. theres alot of lil things you catch, etc and fully understanding the plot and perspectives really turned things around for me
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rhesian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Clodus wrote:
now that I've seen all of season 1, i really do appreciate the arc perspectives and how you slowly see the whole picture. genius. atmosphere and understanding do make a big difference, my first ratings were very good but it jumped up significantly to a masterpiece. im gonna have to strongly recommend watching it a second time. theres alot of lil things you catch, etc and fully understanding the plot and perspectives really turned things around for me

If it wasn't for the so-so animation and the occasional chibi-ness, When They Cry would have also received a Masterpiece rating from me. I love a well-thought out, twisted, disturbing story!

My rewatch will probably happen right before I'm ready to watch the 2nd season. I have a feeling that would make the 2nd season even more rewarding.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Even if no one reads this because I'm so late in the game getting to this, wow.

I often do not keep up with anime. Somewhat of a late comer overall, started watching anime seriously in late 04, so I have a lot of older anime I watch as well as the newest right out of Japan. I just finished this series with a friend(which made it infinitely more fun discussing as we watched and simultaneously getting freaked out), and it's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

First of all, after the first arc, I had to sleep with a light and a tv on that first night. I'm really taken in by good horror games so much so that while I love them(being truly afraid is such a rare feeling), I can't play them alone. And this was the only anime to truly freak me out. I'm 22 and a guy, but hey, it works for me. I was also paranoid pretty much every night we watched a few episodes. The dreams of when I'd be dozing an hour or so before I really had to get up were not fun.

Second, when the viewer starts pausing to question the story(not for unbelievability) and get his bearings straight, I think someone deserves a pat on the back. I loved the theories and ideas the two of us had the entire time.

Third, people say the animation is bad but I don't know, it just doesn't feel bad to me. It seems more different than bad, if anything. Except the last episode. Gah. The animation seemed to crash and burn which unfortunately left bad a taste in my mouth. I was actually praising the animation for having such odd character designs and stock hair types, but the characters had different body types and the gore/facial expressions are practically unmatched.

Overall I was overwhelmed by the sheer quality of story telling and scare factor. Thank god for friends or else I might just be a crying husk in the corner afraid of my own hand Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Last edited by Vortextk on Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Be sure to check out the sequel then, Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai, that's currently airing right now if will put any questions you had about the first series soundly to rest. I'm talking major revelations here, I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It definitely doesn't disappoint, answering all the questions I had after finishing season 1 and has plenty of surprises I didn't expect. Shocked
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Yup, but waiting for it to finish first. Hoping my friend doesn't watch any of these episodes before me though. He has an annoying tendency to marathon a new anime after we start it on his own and completely finish it in a day or two. Like I said though, this was a really great anime to not watch alone(for more than one reason Neutral ), so I'm sure he can wait a bit for me heh.

I just like to watch anime on my own terms after they're complete on dvd or fansubs, besides those long running shows like Bleach and Naruto. Lost my computer for 5 months between late last year and early this year and those two were both still in fillers, hah.

I can normally never take part in discussion though, oh well.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:51 am Reply with quote
Well the last subbed episode of Higurashi Kai was 16 and there's only 24 planned to you shouldn't have too much longer to wait, I'd say two or 3 months.
rockerboy1997137

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
i only got up episode 5 when my parents found i was waching it (im only 10)but what i saw the story arc was great it was like nothing i ever saw before! and i would call a 'bit disturbing i mean i might call this gory but no where near the elfen lied kinda gory!!
im a pretty mature ten year old so i took this show well.
my only problem was that the character's through out the five episode i've watched you could'int really like any i mean first you like all of them but towards the end everybody got kinda possesed like keichi after that 5th episode i couldint like him any more!
over i like it!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
rockerboy1997137 wrote:
i only got up episode 5 when my parents found i was waching it (im only 10)but what i saw the story arc was great it was like nothing i ever saw before! and i would call a 'bit disturbing i mean i might call this gory but no where near the elfen lied kinda gory!!
im a pretty mature ten year old so i took this show well.
my only problem was that the character's through out the five episode i've watched you could'int really like any i mean first you like all of them but towards the end everybody got kinda possesed like keichi after that 5th episode i couldint like him any more!
over i like it!

You need to not believe about half of what you see in the first couple of arcs. Pretty much all of the characters are good people, it's just that you frequently see them at their worst in the first series, and that events are skewed by their paranoid perception.
sogekihei-neko

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I've been trying to find news about the series being continued in releases here (USA), but haven't seen anything about it since Geneon closed.

Does anyone have any word?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Nope. There was some unofficial word that Geneon was close to closing a deal with someone but that was over a month ago now and nothing has come of it, official or otherwise. Just keep your eyes on the front page and talkback section, when news breaks, ANN will surely report it.
sogekihei-neko

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I'll keep watching and hoping then :0
Baka-kaka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Rhesian wrote:

If it wasn't for the so-so animation and the occasional chibi-ness, When They Cry would have also received a Masterpiece rating from me. I love a well-thought out, twisted, disturbing story!

I really thought the chibi-ness gave the anime a bit of relief spoiler[ Which was nice after Rika stabbed herself ... ]
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Ok.

I more or less gave up on this series about 5 or so episodes into the second series and now I can't be bothered to go back through it to work out what is going on again.

So I was wondering if someone could explain what happens and why? A detailed plot synopsis basically, either on here or from another website.

I want details not a general overview please.

This series ended up like Lost for me, I wanted to know what was going on but couldn't be bothered to sit through getting there.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
It's really complex you're better off watching it yourself then me or someone else writing a virtual essay on each individual 2-6 episode chapter which each has it's own specific story.

Both series combined it's only 50 episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 30