• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, May 22-28

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
opn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:37 pm Reply with quote
usually fairy tail only lasts one week then gets booted off the list but im glad its still on there and i hope it continues Very Happy. also nice to see blue exorcist still hanging on.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:42 pm Reply with quote
The pictures for Black Bird and Maximum Ride are the wrong way round, and the picture for Arisa is wrong as well.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
The pictures for Black Bird and Maximum Ride are the wrong way round, and the picture for Arisa is wrong as well.

Thanks for pointing that out. There was a bug on the UK site, displaying an earlier version of the article. We saw your post and fixed it shortly after.

-t
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see some publisher diversity.

I'm still really torn on whether or not I should follow Bakuman financially, which is rare for me this late into the series (Usually I can tell after vol. 2). On the one hand it's a veritable goldmine of information about how manga is created and serialized in Japan, but on the other hand the romantic subplots are extraordinarily irritating and unbelievable much of the time, and I feel like Ohba and Obata just can't make believable, let alone likable, female characters. I doubt very much they're like this on purpose, but still, it's something that I feel detracts greatly from the story aspect of this series.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I'm still really torn on whether or not I should follow Bakuman financially, which is rare for me this late into the series (Usually I can tell after vol. 2). On the one hand it's a veritable goldmine of information about how manga is created and serialized in Japan, but on the other hand the romantic subplots are extraordinarily irritating and unbelievable much of the time, and I feel like Ohba and Obata just can't make believable, let alone likable, female characters. I doubt very much they're like this on purpose, but still, it's something that I feel detracts greatly from the story aspect of this series.

Aoki ends up being one of the best characters. It takes like eight volumes for her to develop though... And her introduction was pretty pathetic...

I just don't read Bakuman for the strong female characters, so I don't really get rattled by it. Death Note was a lot more sexist IMO. All but two significant female characters ends up getting killed. One of the survivors lost half of her family, was likely sexually abused, and is confined to a wheel chair. The other survivor was targeted (while she was in the shower) for the sole fact that she was a female.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Shugo Chara is on the list, YAY!
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
was likely sexually abused

Don't remember that part. Was that manga only or something?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quote
Maximum Ride has been up top for 5 weeks already?! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1