• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Evil Answerman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
The play-throughs are still infringements. They violate several exclusive rights, such as derivative work, display, reproduction, and transmission. The game companies just chose not to go after them, for whatever reason. As some have mentioned, it might be that they think such play-throughs have no negative effect on their sales (since games are meant to be played by yourself, not really watched, so the intended consumer is still likely to buy the game even if they saw a play-through).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote
While I'm not inclined to import DVDs and Blu-Rays without subtitles, and at insane Japanese prices, I always get the impression from longtime anime fans that buying other merchandise, such as figures, etc, have a bigger impact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
While I'm not inclined to import DVDs and Blu-Rays without subtitles, and at insane Japanese prices, I always get the impression from longtime anime fans that buying other merchandise, such as figures, etc, have a bigger impact.

I got that impression too. And to our benefit, Crunchyroll now sells a lot of anime merchandise. Hey! I think I got an idea for a question next week!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Well you definitely seem like you have a great sense of humor!

jsevakis wrote:
I submit that if you are the sort of person who gets butthurt...

Ya know, it seems to me that you guys have two options here:

A) You can be super condescending to the guy in response to his offhand idea.

OR

B) You can tell him not to get upset in response to your not thinking it will work.

But ya can't really do both.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Most AMVs/MADs get taken down because of the music, not the video.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Ya know, it seems to me that you guys have two options here:
A) You can be super condescending to the guy in response to his offhand idea.
OR
B) You can tell him not to get upset in response to your not thinking it will work.
But ya can't really do both.

You are aware you are quoting two different people, right? Of course they can have different attitudes/responses to a question. ANN is not a hivemind.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
You are aware you are quoting two different people, right? Of course they can have different attitudes/responses to a question. ANN is not a hivemind.

I'm not pointing to a contradiction between the two quotes. I'm speaking to both of them since they're both saying the same thing essentially. They're both chiding King for getting upset over this. Which is ridiculous because both their initial answers were pretty insulting. Which again, is what it is. If they're gonna be that way, fine. But it's stupid to then turn around and scoff at the guy for getting pissed off.

The King of Harts wrote:
AMVs and MADs get taken all the time. My list of sakuga MADs has been destroyed over the last year because of companies taking them down. How is a 3-5 minute compilation of snippets of various anime worthy of being removed, but not GoldGloves entire playthough of Last Of Us that shows every cut scene, every line of dialogue, keeps in every track of music, explores every nook and cranny of that game AND HE MAKES MONEY OFF IT okay?

Well fair or not, the law definitely wouldn't allow you to post full episodes even if you add commentary. That's just how it is. But I do see your point. You're somewhat right in that there is a growing inconsistency here, especially as games become more and more about story. Sure, they don't provide the truly "complete" game experience but they do provide a complete experience. They're not just a fragment of something that can't be enjoyed on it's own. If you don't care about the gameplay you can essentially replace the game by just watching one of these videos. And I think that's why game companies are growing increasingly discontent with them.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:

I'm not pointing to a contradiction between the two quotes. I'm speaking to both of them since they're both saying the same thing essentially. They're both chiding King for getting upset over this. Which is ridiculous because both their initial answers were pretty insulting. Which again, is what it is. If they're gonna be that way, fine. But it's stupid to then turn around and scoff at the guy for getting pissed off.

Eh, Justin was writing his at the same time I was writing mine and they both posted at the same time. Didn't see his until I hit 'post'. Came across as excessive, you're right.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
They're both chiding King for getting upset over this. Which is ridiculous because both their initial answers were pretty insulting. Which again, is what it is. If they're gonna be that way, fine. But it's stupid to then turn around and scoff at the guy for getting pissed off.

Maybe King wouldn't be getting chided if he realized that no amount of rationalizing his potentially infringing idea isn't going to hold up if a copyright holder of the material comes in and yanks it from youtube, not to mention him getting upset each time Justin (who if you're unaware, has worked in licensing anime before, thereby giving him first hand experience with things like distribution of copyrighted material) provides legitimate legal facts as to why his ides (emphasis on idea) isn't legally sound.

And even if he sounded insulting, Justin did note from his experience watching nerds that riff things just because it's funny to them doesn't come close to hearing the riffs from an MST3K style production (which as Zac noted involves people who've honed their skills in comedy).

Frankly, I've never once found riffers like Toby or Pewdiepie funny in the slightest. Yelling spontaneously about crap like memes and obvious things going in your game is pretty much anti-humor. And these are the successful ones for Christ's sake. I dread to think what would happen if these style of riffing had an anime variant.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
ActionJacksin wrote:

Frankly, I've never once found riffers like Toby or Pewdiepie funny in the slightest. Yelling spontaneously about crap like memes and obvious things going in your game is pretty much anti-humor. And these are the successful ones for Christ's sake. I dread to think what would happen if these style of riffing had an anime variant.

This was the other thing I meant to bring up. Pewdiepie makes a living yelling memes and rape jokes over video game footage. Bleh.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. I've never been to an anime club, but I was always under the impression that the fun of an anime club was being able to interact with a bunch other anime fans and talk about the show together. The fun was not that you could listen to other people talk about the show but be unable to say anything to them in response or interact with them in any way.

So it seems to me that the true successor of an anime club would be some kind of organized chat session or something where people watch an anime stream together. Doesn't Funimation actually host something like that?

Well, we don't have to just have to rely on Funimation. For example, there is nothing really stopping a person from scheduling something for tomorrow where at a certain time a bunch of people get together on irc or whatever and all watch the finale of Attack on Titan. And if each person uses an official stream to watch AoT, it has the advantage of being completely legal!

Of course, the natural extension of this is to have people get together on irc, but not in order to watch something currently streamed on crunchyroll/funimation/whatever. Instead, one of the members would stream a show he/she owns using skype or another method. Unfortunately, this form of an online anime club would be illegal.

But I suspect that a scheduled stream that just plays each episode once and then disappears from the internet forever would be a lot less likely to attract the attention/ire of copyright holders than a youtube video that would remain online all the time and be available to anyone whenever they wanted.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I happen to know of several groups of people who get together over Skype and do just that.

I personally do not participate, but its hardly unheard of.

Also twitter sometimes turns into something very similar, especially when several people are watching the same show more-or-less simultaneously. And if you ever are really interested in my thoughts on something, I generally live-tweet everything I watch, with screencaps.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
So it seems to me that the true successor of an anime club would be some kind of organized chat session or something where people watch an anime stream together. Doesn't Funimation actually host something like that?

Not to my knowledge, but I kinda wished that they did.

Mad_Scientist wrote:

Well, we don't have to just have to rely on Funimation. For example, there is nothing really stopping a person from scheduling something for tomorrow where at a certain time a bunch of people get together on irc or whatever and all watch the finale of Attack on Titan. And if each person uses an official stream to watch AoT, it has the advantage of being completely legal!

I remember attending a MarzGurl stream where we did pretty much that, only it was watching a cheesy episode of Voltron followed by the corresponding episode of Go-Lion. It was fun, but getting everyone to start their individual streams at the same time was a bit of a hassle. If that could somehow be automated, that would be neat.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Not to my knowledge, but I kinda wished that they did.

Apparently they did, it was called noitaminA nights and they streamed Psycho-Pass and Robotics;Notes.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZdZPJ8NTMx6MFpYrNvbt61mxSEJnRpDw

Not sure if they have any plans to continue with something like that.
Meleemasta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote
I have an image in my head of Titan sized Justin stepping on a little otaku dude. Justin just yells "you're nothing! Japan don't care!"

I'll sleep well tonight. All is right in the world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5