• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimeOnDVD's Beveridge Leaves Mania.com for The Fandom Post

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:35 pm Reply with quote
An era now over. Anime On DVD was my 1st anime go to resource, until the Mania acquisition, which made ANN my 1st and Mania my 2nd, though I still made it a point to seek out Chris's articles. But, I'll be following Chris at the Fandom Post for sure. Too bad about the AOD development. I rank that (referring to the Mania acquisition) with the loss of Geneon and ADV as among the things that have most profoundly changed my anime consumption.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Best of luck to him, I've heard him on ANNCast a few times and he sounds like a interesting fellow.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Guess this should be no surprise. AoD was doing less and less ever since the Mania acquisition, so Beveridge probably got bored now that he got some financial stability. I recall before he even started AoD how he was soliciting contributors way back when.

Still, to some people I know, he's kinda treated like a traitor. He used to be a sub-elitist like them. Laughing
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Shame, he was one of the very very few reviewers I actually followed and read reviews from. He will be missed, and my only reason to go to mania now is nullified.

At least I still have ANN Very Happy
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Jrittmayer wrote:
Shame, he was one of the very very few reviewers I actually followed and read reviews from. He will be missed, and my only reason to go to mania now is nullified.

You can always check his new site, which already has new anime reviews posted.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
But the AoD forums will still continue as before, right?
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Well with how great AoD was when it was pretty much just him singlehandedly running it, I'm sure The Fandom Post will turn into something great. For me AoD predated ANN as my main anime info source, too. I only started visiting less when ANN began turning into the extensive site it is now.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote
joelgundam00 wrote:
Jrittmayer wrote:

You can always check his new site, which already has new anime reviews posted.

of course it has reviews, those where ones he could have posted on mainia.com, but held out until he moved to his own site, I wondered why he hadn't posted to many reviews, now I know, he needed something to put on his site,

I personally like mania.com, and will continue going there,

I went to his new site, and it is a jumbled mess, I mean he should have made separate sections. but I guess I am used to sites that are more organized
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Guess this should be no surprise. AoD was doing less and less ever since the Mania acquisition, so Beveridge probably got bored now that he got some financial stability. I recall before he even started AoD how he was soliciting contributors way back when.

Still, to some people I know, he's kinda treated like a traitor. He used to be a sub-elitist like them. Laughing

I'm Glad Chris B. is leaving AOD. Ever since Mania.com took over Anime on DVD, its became a facist,pacifist, self righteous mecca of a forum. The
moderators there act like a bunch of belligerant ass police officers, handing out infractions and bans for some of the most sqeamish of reasons, as stupid as taking your words out of context or if you post something inaccurate in a debate.
Chris B articles and reviews were some of the most fasicnating I've ever seen on the web. I'm happy for him.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I never liked the AOD forums, they all seemed like Elitist, if a product is not 100% correct it is wrong they through a tantrum type people there.

Good to see him leaving mania, now I have no reason to go there any more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
I'm Glad Chris B. is leaving AOD. Ever since Mania.com took over Anime on DVD, its became a facist,pacifist, self righteous mecca of a forum.
Wow that's quite a combination there, being that fascism is almost a polar opposite of pacifism. So to clear this up is it more right-leaning or left-leaning? And what does this have to do with anime?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I never liked the AOD forums, they all seemed like Elitist, if a product is not 100% correct it is wrong they through a tantrum type people there.

Honestly I have seen worse from other forums than my times at the AoD forum (Gundam.com was easily the worst being full of elitist who denounced anyone who didn't like what they liked). They where serious, and they did tend to nitpick but otherwise they where fine. That and I once got to yell at Matt Greenfield for licensing Samurai X: Reflections. AoD was a really nice, simple website with a decent forum. After Mania bought it the website began to look like crap trying to make the website look "cool".
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Animeondvd.com hasn't been a good site since about 2000. Maybe this rebuild will change things.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:32 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:

But...but, the BDs doesn't have uncompressed audio! And these subs don't have honorifics, and they switch the names to Western order! And the list goes on....

Granted they tend to mostly favor Nozomi's releases or import from Japan due to its massively superior packaging.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:

Amen, brother. Not only do they piss and moan if you post something inaccurate of if they take your words out of context, they'll kick you off the forum for some of the smallest reasons. The
mods there act like a bunch of security guards with badges slapped upside thier heads.

They even had the nerve to say ANN's editors all have sticks up thier asses.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2