• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Cancels Ikki Tousen: Great Guardians Limited Box, Keeps Regular Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metroid24

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
I'll say the same thing I've always said when it comes to this particular series:

It's Ikki Tousen. Who gives a shit? Razz

this guy and many other fans
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Touma wrote:
getchman wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
It's a sham that this franchise is fading. If it's titles were to keep to their pattern, it would have reached apotheosis with its next installment: Ikki Tousen: Huge Hooters.

What? they'd fight owls.

Evil owls.

...with gigantic breasts.

I'm a bit confused, which side has the gigantic breasts?

I was wondering about that too.
Owls with gigantic breasts might not work for me. I guess that it would depend upon how anthropomorphic they are.Smile

They're fighting owls with gigantic breasts. What could be easier to understand? The part that I'm not clear on is whether or not the breasts are being thrown or launched at the owls, or if they're on sticks or chains and being swung at them as melee weapons.

Okay, maybe it's not as simple as I first guessed...

so who wants to bet Surrender Artist successfully trolled us and is having a good laugh right now?
dizzon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I read this thread. I had no idea FUNi was on such a downward spiral.

I'll say a prayer right before bed that the fine folks at FUNimation can right this ship before it completely sinks.

Lets hope for the best. *Fingers Crossed*.... *Cough*

Edit = Wink

Last edited by dizzon on Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
I'm glad I read this thread. I had no idea FUNi was on such a downward spiral.

I'll say a prayer right before bed that the fine folks at FUNimation can right this ship before it completely sinks.

Lets hope for the best. *Fingers Crossed*.... *Cough*

what downward spiral?
dizzon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
Hmm, thought my sarcasm was quite evident. Next time I'll change the color code on the text I want people to know for certain is meant to be sarcasm. How about blue? If the text in any of my future posts is blue that = sarcasm. Wink
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
nope, this is totally my bad. it's 1:30 am, I'm tired and it seems like I've lost all abilityy to detect sarcasm. I should probably go to bed. sorry
dizzon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
No need to say "My Bad", I'm just messing around. Smile
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:53 am Reply with quote
I'm thinking that Funi's decline might be comparable to the onset of Alzheimer's, where it is said that for a good while only those closest to the victim (those who follow Funimation somewhat closely) realize that he has the affliction.

Right now I think that Funi is in the "rot from within" stage of Rome. Perhaps someday it will have decayed sufficiently that the rag-tag "barbarians" of Sentai Filmworks (et al) will be able to topple them. Having seen how they've half-assed their presence on the con circuit I'm almost feeling that cons equate to England, in the Rome analogy, and Rome is coming close to deciding to abandon it.
dizzon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:44 am Reply with quote
Not actually trying to defend FUNi but until someone can offer factual evidence they are on the decline, in general, and compared to the rest of R1 (Sentai, Viz ect..) I highly doubt I'm going to take random internet forum babel serious.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:24 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Ikki Tousen is better than any of that nonsense we got from Oh Great, I don't know how anyone can say anything positive about Tenjo Tenge.

At least Tenjo Tenge didn't rip off entire panels.

http://mangatranslation.com/cgi-bin/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=1803&highlight=#1803
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:26 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
Touma wrote:
getchman wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
It's a sham that this franchise is fading. If it's titles were to keep to their pattern, it would have reached apotheosis with its next installment: Ikki Tousen: Huge Hooters.

What? they'd fight owls.

Evil owls.

...with gigantic breasts.

I'm a bit confused, which side has the gigantic breasts?

I was wondering about that too.
Owls with gigantic breasts might not work for me. I guess that it would depend upon how anthropomorphic they are.:)

They're fighting owls with gigantic breasts. What could be easier to understand? The part that I'm not clear on is whether or not the breasts are being thrown or launched at the owls, or if they're on sticks or chains and being swung at them as melee weapons.

Okay, maybe it's not as simple as I first guessed...

so who wants to bet Surrender Artist successfully trolled us and is having a good laugh right now?

Trolled? I thought that we were all just playing along.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:02 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:

Trolled? I thought that we were all just playing along.

or that
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
All that I'll say is that what I envisioned would have had a breast plucking scene to put the opening of Lupin III ~The Woman Called Fujiko Mine~ to shame.

And in a home-video only bonus episode, one of them would make use of their ability rotate their heads 270° degrees to handle an 'attack from behind'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
It is my understanding FUNimation canceled the limited box because every time someone would pick it up to inspect it, the box would explode, revealing nothing but the disk holders.

They tried a variant of the first failure, but when the box was set down, the wrapping started to curl up, re-introducing the problem.

Then there are the kids who just kept flipping the box over to see the white underside.

But this is just a rumor, so take it with a grain of salt.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
It is my understanding FUNimation canceled the limited box because every time someone would pick it up to inspect it, the box would explode, revealing nothing but the disk holders.

They tried a variant of the first failure, but when the box was set down, the wrapping started to curl up, re-introducing the problem.

Then there are the kids who just kept flipping the box over to see the white underside.

But this is just a rumor, so take it with a grain of salt.

I see what you did there. Wink

In all seriousness, though, what may be happening is FUNi might be considering doing away with LE editions of DVD-only releases. For one thing, the chipboards for DVD-sized artboxes are both taller and wider than the bluray-sized ones, so focusing only on bluray artboxes would help cut way down on materials. Not to mention, the collector types who like to buy the limited editions tend to be more of the "bluray or nothing" variety, and whenever a show is announced to come out only on DVD, so many people these days have taken the "wait for the bluray" approach that doing an LE for a DVD release just wouldn't be economical.

That's my two cents on the matter, anyways.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5