• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Field of Wings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:23 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Not for us! We went to Otakon AND we went to the baseball game! Laughing

Someone on the Otakon mailing list said this once... was it you?!

I left Genericon to go see a hockey game with a friend.

enurtsol wrote:
Unfortunately, a lot of young Japanese are becoming freeters, and in the long run, that'd hurt the Japanese economy. Confused

I don't think all freeters are freeters by choice... Are you reading Bakuman? The older manga assistants are freeters, working two jobs while they try to make it in manga. Not every career has entry-level jobs that pay a living wage.

Plus their economy has been in a slump for 15 years! It's really hard to find a full time job. Sometimes you kind of have to work two part time jobs, and it's not by choice. This happens in America, we just don't have this label. My Japanese teacher accused me of being a freeter when I worked three part time jobs last year...

Plus, being a freeter might be preferable to the full time working conditions of many offices in Japan. Consider all the overtime, the required drinking parties... Have you ever read Suppli? It sounds miserable to have a full time job in Japan.

I also think that "not knowing what you want to do with your life" in your twenties might make you a freeter by default and not by choice.
dizzon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

That's the point I was trying to make, when your watching a baseball anime, its not suppossed to be a 3 hour 9 inning game. You're suppossed to be watching it for the entertainment, the character development e.t.c not to be watching an actual baseball game.

Dizzon sounds like he was arguing sour grapes, bitching about something he knows little about.

Oh good lord! Yes, I realize baseball anime isn't watching a 9-inning animated baseball game, common sense should've told you that. Like I already said, it's the sports theme I'm not interested in because I'm not looking to be reminded of sports when watching anime, that's just my personal preference. If I want to watch a coming-of-age story(which I don't) I can watch one of the many non-sports themed versions.

enurtsol wrote:

It's amazing how many are fans of sports and fans of anime!

Many of my sports buddies are also my anime buddies, in fact I'm going to a ballgame with two of them tonight. Very Happy
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Not for us! We went to Otakon AND we went to the baseball game! Laughing

Someone on the Otakon mailing list said this once... was it you?!

I left Genericon to go see a hockey game with a friend.

Maybe one of us? Laughing

Haven't been to cons so close to hockey games before.

erinfinnegan wrote:

enurtsol wrote:
Unfortunately, a lot of young Japanese are becoming freeters, and in the long run, that'd hurt the Japanese economy. Confused

I don't think all freeters are freeters by choice... Are you reading Bakuman? The older manga assistants are freeters, working two jobs while they try to make it in manga. Not every career has entry-level jobs that pay a living wage.

Some are doing it to escape responsibility or to get away from the Japanese work hamster wheel (e.g. overworked by your company, never see your family, live in company aparments, etc). They're sticking it to da man! Laughing

erinfinnegan wrote:

Plus their economy has been in a slump for 15 years!

And yet, they keep insisting unemployment rates below 5%. Laughing

erinfinnegan wrote:

It's really hard to find a full time job. Sometimes you kind of have to work two part time jobs, and it's not by choice. This happens in America, we just don't have this label. My Japanese teacher accused me of being a freeter when I worked three part time jobs last year...

Haha! At least you're not a parasite single! Laughing

erinfinnegan wrote:

Plus, being a freeter might be preferable to the full time working conditions of many offices in Japan. Consider all the overtime, the required drinking parties... Have you ever read Suppli? It sounds miserable to have a full time job in Japan.

I hear that from expats a lot. What's Suppli again?

erinfinnegan wrote:

I also think that "not knowing what you want to do with your life" in your twenties might make you a freeter by default and not by choice.

Japan pigeonholes you to a career from high school on. Laughing

That's why they see school as the best time of their life because that's when they were free-est.
In contrast, Americans like ya hate high school and couldn't wait for their freedom after their school years. Laughing

dizzon wrote:

enurtsol wrote:

It's amazing how many are fans of sports and fans of anime!

Many of my sports buddies are also my anime buddies, in fact I'm going to a ballgame with two of them tonight. Very Happy

Many of those I play in courts are somewhat familiar with anime. Ya should see how that changes the art of trash-talkin'. Laughing

Hope your ballgame isn't cancelled due to inclement weather.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Echo_City wrote:
purplepolecat wrote:
I was aware of Hikikomoris and NEETs because of Welcome to the NHK, but I'd never heard the term freeter before. Thanks for expanding my vocabulary and making me more aware of Japanese social issues, Erin!

Did you miss out on the anime classic that is Golden Boy? "I'm Kintaro Oe, and I'm a freeter..."

Those guys also didn't truly see Golden Boy, as in the long run Kintaro Oe could easily grab his law degree and go into the workplace as such, should the need arise. Sadly, my assumption is that most Japanese freeters don't have a professional fallback, they're fated to be navvies for the rest of their days. Rolling Eyes

Come to think of it, Kintaro Oe's tale is very similar to that of Che Guevara, only with the ability to kick ass and take names, and without the arrogance, megalomania, utter failures, and (most importantly) transformation into a misrepresented communist douche. [/tangent]

On sports shows, why are all Japanese sports shows basically the same "life drama" in a different wrapper? Does this girls' baseball show really tell a different story than Eyeshield? If you've seen one, you've seen 'em all, except for the trappings. Thus far that's been my experience, but due to that experience, I admit that I haven't seen many sports shows. Sure, some like Rainbow or Bamboo Blade were different, but only because the "trappings" were so different. In the case of Rainbow, which added in ridiculous amounts of cheesy melodrama, brutality, and non-sports related concurrent storylines, radically different.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:41 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Aaaand this latest DBZ box set reminds me e'ermore why I shall wait to buy the entirety of Kai instead; all the same fights, all the same foes, just shorter, sweeter, and more tightly animated.

.... and without the Buu arc. Thus never permitting Videl the chance to appear, or provide any meaningful redemption to "Hercule"'s existence.
Echo_City wrote:
Come to think of it, Kintaro Oe's tale is very similar to that of Che Guevara, only [...] without the arrogance, megalomania [...]

I know it's been a while since last watched, but didn't he also hold himself to a fairly high regard? While debatable whether it is warranted, perhaps you meant maybe not to the same degree?
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote
I couldn't agree more on We Without Wings - honestly, what was Funi thinking with that license decision?

I agree on Taisho Baseball Girls, but it would lose its shirt if it had been dubbed. Sadly, sports titles just don't sell enough to support dubs, especially these days.

I would love to see it adapted into a live action movie - by the Japan Film industry, not Hollywood. With a well written script it could be very entertaining on the big screen.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:39 am Reply with quote
CaptainAvatar wrote:
I couldn't agree more on We Without Wings - honestly, what was Funi thinking with that license decision?

Could be one of those, you want this show you have to license these as well. I'm looking forward to Funi's release of the show, its a guilty pleasure of mine. I wanted to get Taisho Baseball girls during the last Sentai sale at TRSI but I wasn't able to but I do want to add it to my collection even though I am not really into the anime sports shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Aaaand this latest DBZ box set reminds me e'ermore why I shall wait to buy the entirety of Kai instead; all the same fights, all the same foes, just shorter, sweeter, and more tightly animated.

.... and without the Buu arc. Thus never permitting Videl the chance to appear, or provide any meaningful redemption to "Hercule"'s existence.
Echo_City wrote:
Come to think of it, Kintaro Oe's tale is very similar to that of Che Guevara, only [...] without the arrogance, megalomania [...]

I know it's been a while since last watched, but didn't he also hold himself to a fairly high regard? While debatable whether it is warranted, perhaps you meant maybe not to the same degree?
Nah, Kintaro Oe didn't have a lust for power, and considered himself quite humble. Even the intro monologue to each episode shows the chasm of character separating the 2, though their stories started similarly. After he employs his Kempo karate training to beat down on the sleazy developer in Episode 3, he chastises himself for misusing his abilities, and declares that he still had much to learn about humility. Kintaro Oe also never declared himself in service of humanity, destined to "lead communist revolution throughout the world", nor did he arrogantly interject into the wars of others. Though if he had, he'd have won those wars Wink In Episode 6, Kintaro Oe struck up friendship with the overworked and subjugated animators. Where Kintaro helped them out of their situation and fellowshipped with them over the merits of the drawn breast, Guevara would have tried to lead them (from the rear) to a communist uprising against their evil Capitalist clients who instilled such vile working conditions. Rolling Eyes

Goldenboy--Hilarious
The Motorcycle Diaries--Frustrating
In the end, I'd rather rewatch either than anything reviewed this week in shelf life.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
If you got to episode 7 of We Without Wings, then it must be MUCH better than I thought it was. I watched the first episode and I felt insulted, because it felt like there were two or 3 stories melded into one.

1. BO-RING harem flowery garbage
2. A somewhat interesting story about unlikeable jerks who hang out at a cafe
3. A disturbing show about learning English, co-starring a perverse loli

Give me #2 I can handle that. 1 and 3 are all over the anime landscape.

As for the Cell "problem," this is my problem with people who bring up problems in supernatural shows. You are all for beings producing a near-endless supply of energy blasts from their body without any recharge (except for the occasional sensu bean; the magical fruit). However, you cannot get over a cocky creature creating a tournament because he's using these inferior beings for sport.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Basroil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm extremely envious of that Paprika poster. Sad to say but with the death of Mr. Kon that poster is now probably worth a pretty penny. Keep it safe and treasure it.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
As for the Cell "problem," this is my problem with people who bring up problems in supernatural shows. You are all for beings producing a near-endless supply of energy blasts from their body without any recharge... However, you cannot get over a cocky creature creating a tournament because he's using these inferior beings for sport.

The endless supply of energy is a physics problem I've hardly considered in DBZ, I mean, here is a show where characters are blasted into the sides of mountains without breaking bones. The cartoon physics of the universe are well established as being ridiculous.

It seems odd for Cell's character to stand around doing nothing for an entire week. Doesn't he get bored? I guess he doesn't need to eat. I can't imagine Freeza standing there for a week, Freeza's got worlds to conquer, armies to command, and Freeza certainly considers himself a superior being. We've seen Cell destroying cities and absorbing people for power (and maybe for laughs) before...
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Frieza and Cell are of two different origins. Cell was created through artificial means and Frieza became who he was through years of "practice"

Maybe Cell should get bored, because he exhibits certain emotions, but a guy who wants to destroy the Earth might not have everything right up in the ol' noggin. What does time mean in the Dragon Ball universe anyway? 10 episodes, 20 episodes, it's all the same Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3