• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wizard Barristers (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:10 am Reply with quote
Wow, generous helpings of Very nice animation, great storyboards and designs, shitty CG, and AMAZING MUSIC!

I really like those character designs, both in a global style way and in terms of the choices of little things, like the main character's braided lavender hair.

I think I'm going to hate that frog thing quite a bit though.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:57 am Reply with quote
Hating on Wakamoto-frog? How is that possible? And I didn't see any stand-out awful CG, just what's typical in TV anime.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:21 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Hating on Wakamoto-frog? How is that possible? And I didn't see any stand-out awful CG, just what's typical in TV anime.

Exactly on both counts. First, are people aware that EVERYTHING is CG? The days of hand-drawn cel animation and attempts to sandwich in CGI animation are long gone. The "CG" was perfectly fine as it is in almost any modern production.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:25 am Reply with quote
Yeah, pretty much the only component that's not created through the computers is the character line-art, or sometimes you get handdrawn backgrounds if it's some kind of visual style that calls for it.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:53 am Reply with quote
This is going to be Property Damage: The Anime.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
I'm torn on this series. The first half of this episode was great, but the rest was incredibly boring. I am curious about the plot twist in the final scene though, so I'll give it a couple episodes.

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Okay so awesome setting and great animation (the CG was great in the train battle, but the metal monster were iffy, they seemed out of place with the background).

But good gawd the lead, why?! So first you make her a lawyer, great lawyer are some of the most prestigious job in our world, something were women had a lots of trouble getting in and had to fight for the right to represent people, great a good role model that wil- FAN SERVICE TIME! Look the frog is giving her a massage and grab her boobs, now you're gonna like that female lead right?! I mean imagine if episode 1 of FMA Al started rubbing Ed shoulder, then his pect then reached for his (censored). imo thats bellow fan faction, in the official show! Really wish the lead was the other new lawyer, the black haired one.

Then she dress like some teenager out of a 90's music video, as a lawyer! Imagine Phoenix Wright being dressed like Micheal Jackson in Thriller with the red vest while defending cases!

Also the fact that she commit two major crimes. First she step on a crime scene has a civilian (yes lawyer are civilian) she'd have gotten arrested in a few seconds, you don't mess with crime scene. Then she get spoiler[attacked by two robber], and proceed to destroy the entire plaza, including a locomotive! The cost of all the destruction she did must be like 10 000 higher than what she would have lost by just giving them the money she had on her. Also if the cop spoiler[suspected the guy at the bank] for being with the robber because he /GASP used the bank on a regular basis! How are they gonna react to the girl who go on the crime scene without good reason and can spoiler[create the very monster] that attacked the bank?

Other small nitpick, the society seems incredibly unprepared for magician existing, like why did they send swat after the magician, especially since that was there second time trying to arrest him? Wouldn't you send mages after him? Seeing has how he can deflect bullets easily (but not cigaret blunt, cause we all know that cigaret blunt go at 5 time the speed of sound) they pretty much just send all those swat to their death for no reason.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, pretty much the only component that's not created through the computers is the character line-art, or sometimes you get handdrawn backgrounds if it's some kind of visual style that calls for it.

Actually, Character line art can also be done on computers. Just not that often.

As for the CGI itself, my main issue was with the cars and how hollow they looked. The dragon was meh and the train was decent enough.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Well the first battle scene was fine until that cigarette SOMEHOW hit a guy who can deflect bullets and defy the law of physics by not being effected by wind resistance.

Can't say i'm digging Cecil as a main character. First of all she needs to change her apparel. Call me brash but i wouldn't be eager to accept someone who looks like they are fresh out of high school wearing short shorts to represent me in court. Professionalism is key in this kind of work and she lacks just about any kind of etiquette a lawyer should have (also running into a crime scene without showing your I.D is just foolish and i'm surprised they didn't try to arrest her when she ran in).

Frog is annoying and perverted. Great that's just what the show needs to spice things up right?.....................(sigh)

The last battle scene really had me facepalming. Not only did she destroy basically the entire park to make that machine but she even goes as far to say she'll represent the person who attack her! Why? Was that supposed to sound cool or funny?

No.......NO!

It's stupid no matter how you look at it. First of all i'm pretty sure under no circumstances that such a thing would be possible in a respectable court of law. Secondly you might as well be mocking them because unless you are trying to get yourself convicted you'd still be providing evidence against them even if you were their lawyer.

Had it not been for the animation and the overall possible promising span of the premise i would have dropped this.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
it's amusing how much a cigarette is causing so much grief
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
it's amusing how much a cigarette is causing so much grief

Well just think about it. The guy took out an entire swat team, blew up a helicopter and destroyed almost every single cart of the train he was riding on...........and yet he loses because of a cigarette.

It's just an incredibly lame way to end a spectacular opening fight if you ask me.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
First, are people aware that EVERYTHING is CG?

Well, when people say CG they just mean the 3D stuff.

I didn't have any particular problem with the 3D CG. Sure the monster things are kinda obvious, but they are unnatural things and 3D CG can highlight stuff like that.

meiam wrote:
But good gawd the lead, why?! So first you make her a lawyer, great lawyer are some of the most prestigious job in our world, something were women had a lots of trouble getting in and had to fight for the right to represent people, great a good role model that wil- FAN SERVICE TIME! Look the frog is giving her a massage and grab her boobs, now you're gonna like that female lead right?!

So far as fanservice goes, that scene was barely anything. Nothing to get worked up over.

meiam wrote:
Then she dress like some teenager out of a 90's music video, as a lawyer! Imagine Phoenix Wright being dressed like Micheal Jackson in Thriller with the red vest while defending cases!

Maybe not Phoenix himself, but there have been plenty of crazily dressed people in that franchise (usually the prosecutors).

meiam wrote:
Other small nitpick, the society seems incredibly unprepared for magician existing, like why did they send swat after the magician, especially since that was there second time trying to arrest him? Wouldn't you send mages after him? Seeing has how he can deflect bullets easily (but not cigaret blunt, cause we all know that cigaret blunt go at 5 time the speed of sound) they pretty much just send all those swat to their death for no reason.

It was pretty well shown that the cops are horribly prejudiced against magicians. You think they'd let any of those filthy magic users in on their op?

As for the cigarette, yeah, it was a bit of rule of cool, but the guy was expecting bullets, not a butt.

leatherhead333 wrote:
Can't say i'm digging Cecil as a main character. First of all she needs to change her apparel. Call me brash but i wouldn't be eager to accept someone who looks like they are fresh out of high school wearing short shorts to represent me in court. Professionalism is key in this kind of work and she lacks just about any kind of etiquette a lawyer should have (also running into a crime scene without showing your I.D is just foolish and i'm surprised they didn't try to arrest her when she ran in).

The thing about her clothes was brought up in the episode proper. She's a teenager, remember, and is a rookie. Of course she's not going to be professional.

leatherhead333 wrote:
The last battle scene really had me facepalming. Not only did she destroy basically the entire park to make that machine but she even goes as far to say she'll represent the person who attack her! Why? Was that supposed to sound cool or funny?

Self defense. Remember that magicians fall under a different set of laws. And her offering to represent her attackers is a character defining moment. She's so open hearted she'll even make sure people who assault her are represented properly.

She's Canadian all right Very Happy
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure she isn't wearing those because she is inexperienced. She already stated that she wears them because they are her battle clothes. And unless those clothes have something to do with her powers (which has not been shown as the case so far) i'd say that's just plain poor etiquette for no reason. She could just as easily wear them underneath proper clothing or something. Not like it's hard to do especially in anime.

I mean when the prosecutor's saw her at the crime scene you'll notice that they look at her clothing and pretty much give a "is this girl serious?" kind of look. I wouldn't even say that she's inexperienced because obviously when she got pulled over she showed she knows a good amount of knowledge of the law. So she should have known just running into a crime scene without showing I.D is a big no-no. It's funny that the officer saw her coming and still just stood there as she ran through lol.

As for the line about defending the guy who attacked her if that's a character defining moment i guess it's supposed to define how dense she is. Nothing like that would be allowed in any court i know of. I mean if she's going to become a lawyer i'm guessing she already knows how it works for the most part so that line is illogical. It would make more sense if she said something along the lines of "I'll drop the charges" which would clear them of a nasty sentence if they were brought in.

I think the first case wasn't really a good way of showing wizard prejudice. With everything that guy did the death penalty was a sound judgement. Now if they had declared that for someone who had robbed a bank but taken no lives that's another thing. Maybe that's what next episode will be exploring.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Memorizing text books and knowing proper ettiquette are two different things. She's young, idealistic, and naive. Your typical rookie character for this kind of story. I think you're expecting too much from her.

By battle clothes she probably was refering to ease of movement. But you'll note in the preview she is wearing a proper suit for her court appearence.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I really really hope they don't bring in any of the "normal human are racist against wizard" angle into this, because that's almost certainly going to end up as a train wreck. Wizard are people who can create destruction on a huge scale at whim, it's is perfectly reasonable to be weary of them, if my neighbor had a bunch of bomb and grenade in his house, and carry some on him at all time, I'd be incredibly afraid of him for 100% good reason.

And even if they were, wouldn't the cop still have better equipment to deal with wizard, they just decided "yeah let's send a dozen cop and an helicopter after this wizard with completely ineffectual gear", plus they somehow decided to apprehend him in a train in the middle of a residential area. They would have been far better to not attack him and wait for him to be in a scarcely populated area. You're looking at probably around 10 dead cops and probably has many civilian, not to mention a destroy train, tunnel and probably rail track. The person who organized that operation should really be quitting in shame.

And on the lead, if I saw someone like that show up has my lawyer, I'd ask for someone else immediately and it would appear that would be a very good idea seeing has she does tell the robber that she would defend them (which is completely illegal, you can't defend someone if your involved in the case) so she apparently doesn't even have knowledge of very basic law. Coming out of law school… How the heck did she pass, let alone get hired...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 20