• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Limited Launches Mai Mai Miracle Kickstarter for U.S, U.K. Release

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, the kickstarter page seems to be down at the moment. Anywho, I think I remember seeing the trailer for this some years ago, and it still looks interesting. The character design feels very Ghibli/Masterpiece Theatre-ish, which isn't a bad thing, but maybe something more distinct would have been nice to see.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
A very pretty song. I too think it has a calming Ghibli feel to it. I don't know if I'd ever buy it, but it looks sweet.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
The Kickstarter page is down for me as well.

I hope that the promotion offers some original sketches from staff at Madhouse. That would get me to contribute to the higher tiers. The mass produced prizes, like artbooks and such, don't do anything for me.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Oooooh ooooh!!!! So someone is Kickstarting this??? Oh this is great. I had wondered if this would ever get released. Saw this years ago at the 2010 NYICFF when Summer Wars and Oblivion Island debuted. I really hope this gets funded.

It wasn't a perfect flick mainly because it's based off a novel. But it's got great animation. It's a sweet nostalgic story. Black Lagoon's director Sunao Katabuchi was involved. But it's a really nice little story. If you like a nice little slice of life story I definitely recommend this for anyone who didn't get a chance to see it.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Anime Limited just getting better and better by the minute. I really hope a dub tier isn't high on the list of possible funding goals, and that we rather recieve a load of physical extras Very Happy !
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I saw this when it was shown at the Tyneside Cinema, it was very sweet and charming. I would love to see it released on Bluray.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, I really want this. Will back as soon as the kickstarter page... comes back up?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alltheanime/1966076526

(was unusually hard for me to get to the page)

That said, I hope this eventually leads to someone bringing over Masayuki Kojima's movies at one point (Piano Forest, Tibetan Dog).
sniper_samurai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Oh god, I really want this. Will back as soon as the kickstarter page... comes back up?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alltheanime/1966076526

(was unusually hard for me to get to the page)

That said, I hope this eventually leads to someone bringing over Masayuki Kojima's movies at one point (Piano Forest, Tibetan Dog).

The kickstarter hasn't begun yet, it is still in the approval process. Will back it when it goes up.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
According to posts on the Anime Ltd. Facebook page it looks as though they've jumped the gun a bit and put the Kickstarter links up too early, before they actually had Kickstarter approval. Oops.

EDIT: Damn it I was NINJA'ED
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Throw in a stretch goal for an English dub and maybe I'll think about it. Confused
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
According to posts on the Anime Ltd. Facebook page it looks as though they've jumped the gun a bit and put the Kickstarter links up too early, before they actually had Kickstarter approval. Oops.

EDIT: Damn it I was NINJA'ED

In any case, I am ready to hand over that money.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Throw in a stretch goal for an English dub and maybe I'll think about it. Confused

Dubs are cancer. The production period becomes ridiculously much longer & the price for the BD has to be bumped up. So in short; you'll have to wait longer & pay more.

No. Just no.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
^^production may have to be pushed up more, yes. For a kickstarter, the price doesnt go up (see Time of Eve)

If anything, Im willing to wait longer to get a good dub rather than get a rushed one.

This seems interesting, depending on how things go Im may toss a pledge
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
^^production may have to be pushed up more, yes. For a kickstarter, the price doesnt go up (see Time of Eve)

If anything, Im willing to wait longer to get a good dub rather than get a rushed one.

This seems interesting, depending on how things go Im may toss a pledge

Yeah, I just thought i'd mention the major problems with any dub, as for a good dub that's something that takes time, money, good direction & good voice actors.

And lets be honest here, while there may be some voice talent (although nowhere near comparable to the Japanese) and some good directors, the money and time parts are just thrown out the window. It just feels like dubs that are being produced at the moment are produced simply because people will buy titles if they have dubs on-disc.

It doesn't matter if it's good or bad, people will still buy it, so why should licensors put any effort & money into creating an awesome dub?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
*yawn* More tedious anti-dubbing soapboxing from SouthPacific.

*sets watch*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4